If you don’t want tiles then epoxy is the way to go.
Just don’t make the mistake I did and buy the Home Depot crap. Pay the $ and get a pro with real epoxy paint.
I used to do lots of concrete finishing in another life and if it seems too good to be true... it is. Huge mistake buying that garbage. All the prep work lost and a total re-stripping of the floor required.
You may have to wait a bit till you floor cures as well.
Next time I’m finding an artist to put a crossed flags logo on top 👍

Last edited:
I used two part industrial epoxy on my concrete floor. It looked stunning until it didn't. Huge sheets of it peeling off the shine is gone, it is just a mess. Admittedly it is in a tough environment, unheated in a cold environment. Tires stuck to it, tire marks hard to get off the finish. Not sure what I would use if I had to do it again.

I will just be happy that the Corvette is the best feature of the garage. :Biggrin:

Some people just say oil the floor but I am not sure.

I used two part industrial epoxy on my concrete floor. It looked stunning until it didn't. Huge sheets of it peeling off the shine is gone, it is just a mess. Admittedly it is in a tough environment, unheated in a cold environment. Tires stuck to it, tire marks hard to get off the finish. Not sure what I would use if I had to do it again.

I will just be happy that the Corvette is the best feature of the garage. :Biggrin:

I have heat in the garage in the winter. I just keep it down to 8c. It is about 340 square feet and had a price of $1700 to have a finish. It is a two part finish but I will need to get more detail. It was done on a large area of work and looks good.

• Wow
Reactions: ccltj and Messner

If you don’t want tiles then epoxy is the way to go.
Just don’t make the mistake I did and buy the Home Depot crap. Pay the $ and get a pro with real epoxy paint.
I used to do lots of concrete finishing in another life and if it seems to good to be true... it is. Huge mistake buying that garbage. All the prep work lost and a total re-stripping of the floor required.
You may have to wait a bit till you floor cures as well.
Next time I’m finding an artist to put a crossed flags logo on top 👍

I was thinking the same of the flags. Maybe between the grey paint and the clear sealer coat on top. I think I will turn to a professional too. Had a price of $1700 for 340 square feet. Need to get more info on it though.

Tyho, how do you know? :Biggrin:

Wish I could recall the name of the company that made my epoxy flooring, it was purchased from an industrial flooring company in Brampton, Ontario. We followed all instructions but it still failed and it was very expensive.

The one thing I will admit to is that prior to pouring the floor I wish we had put down vapour barrier because I think the floor wicks up moisture. Concrete can be a tough beast to work with. It looked great for the first year. Tires sticking were a real problem.

Reactions: ccltj and LE BARON
Tyho, how do you know? :Biggrin:

Wish I could recall the name of the company that made my epoxy flooring, it was purchased from an industrial flooring company in Brampton, Ontario. We followed all instructions but it still failed and it was very expensive.

The one thing I will admit to is that prior to pouring the floor I wish we had put down vapour barrier because I think the floor wicks up moisture. Concrete can be a tough beast to work with. It looked great for the first year. Tires sticking were a real problem.

Crap. I didn’t know about the vapour barrier. I could have done that too!

The local Benjamin Moore store here did mine. $1300. My floor was well used and had plenty of stains and about 3 years old. We knew it was a gamble. The stuff he used was BM's industrial floor coating. About 2 years later now maybe 3, there have been a few small places where its peeled off. Places where the solvent cleaners just didnt do enough. I got what I paid for and we knew it was a gamble because it was a used floor. :)

Had mine done by Zone Garage. They did an amazing job.

Attachments

• 20180826_093646.jpg
    20180826_093646.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 49
My neighbor did his in epoxy by professionals. about $10/sq/ft. They ground down the concrete first roughing it up, patched up any cracks, put down the first coat, dried, then day later put down a second coat with flakes. Looks great ... but the costo_O

• Winner
My neighbor did his in epoxy by professionals. about $10/sq/ft. They ground down the concrete first roughing it up, patched up any cracks, put down the first coat, dried, then day later put down a second coat with flakes. Looks great ... but the costo_O

Yes that is costly. I guess the 1750 I was quoted isn’t that bad.

Reactions: ccltj
I like the Swisstrax Diamondtrax. Looks good. Prep = sweeping the floor. You can design your pattern and when you have had enough you can start all over.
How is easy it to clean and what is the approx. cost per sq/ft? I'm looking at a tile or sheet type floor, something I can take with me if I move.

How is easy it to clean and what is the approx. cost per sq/ft? I'm looking at a tile or sheet type floor, something I can take with me if I move.

The Ribtrax I think is harder to clean because it isn’t a “solid” tile. I prefer the diamondtrax which is a solid tile. I think you can diy for about $5 square foot and design your own pattern.

The Ribtrax I think is harder to clean because it isn’t a “solid” tile. I prefer the diamondtrax which is a solid tile. I think you can diy for about $5 square foot and design your own pattern.

I have swisstrax. Easy to mop and clean. Cost depends on which one you choose. I have a 18 by 24 garage and it was 2230. Including tax and delivery to door. Easy to install. Remember to leave 1/4" min space at walls. If you want a picture pm me.

When they pored the floor for my garage (circa 1989) I had then add a colour compound when they floated the concrete. It is worked right in to the cement so it can not peel off. Still there some thirty years later. Different colours available. I took red.

I am re-finishing my garage and am thinking about finishing the floor. What kind of paints or sealers is everyone using. Don’t think I want to use tiles. Just had a new floor poured and would like to use some kind of paint.

Thanks in advance!
If you are looking to paint your floor there are a few MUST steps. Its all about the surface preparation. You first need to degrease and steam clean the concrete. Next you should really have it shot blasted or sand blasted to create an anchor pattern to promote good adhesion. My firm does industrial epoxy floors for the likes of Fait Chrysler and for other industrial service conditions.
You can buy a good 100% solids 2 part epoxy from PPG (Dulux Stores) or Sherwin Williams. Ask for an industrial sales rep. Lighter duty water based epoxies are ok too but will definitely not perform as well as the solvent based coatings. Treat the cracks first with epoxy filler then sand with floor maintainer. Apply a 3 to 5 mil prime coat of the epoxy by roller. Back roll five minutes after application. Sand out and off gassing bubbles. Apply a second coat. Add # 30-60 sand broadcast to make the floor non skid. Sweep off excess sand after the paint has cured. Apply a topcoat 3 to 5 mils.
We don't perform work Business to direct public but here is a good link to how to restore concrete and application of epoxy floor coatings:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.