My ZR1 was wild down the WA/OR/CA coast.... yes, sea level air is nice!

B
My car runs the best it ever has every trip to Abbotsford. Loves the chevron 94. Pretty pricey in Hope but the performance,response as well as mileage are unbeatable.

Here in Calgary j was using Husky 94 but some of the comments I read here had me thinking. I ran Shell 91 for most of the summer and noticed a significant drop over the Husky 94. Then a few tanks of Coop 91 and I preferred it over the shell fuel. As it sits in the garage now,I have just under 1/2 tank of Coop 91. I’ll probably continue with them this summer until I find myself in BC.

My ZR1 was wild down the WA/OR/CA coast.... yes, sea level air is nice!

B

Altitude robs more power from a N/A engine than most realize. Give or take, the difference from sea level horsepower is give or take about 3% per 300 metres of altitude gain. So Red Deer for instance is about 900 metres above sea level. Call that about a 9% total reduction in HP. So theoretically, if our Stingrays are rated at 460 HP at sea level, they are delivering more like about 420 hp in Red Deer....Did you just say "Holy Sh1t". Yup.... :Beatdeadhorse:

So theoretically, if our Stingrays are rated at 460 HP at sea level, they are delivering more like about 420 hp in Red Deer....Did you just say "Holy Sh1t". Yup.... :Beatdeadhorse:

Just think............. During the Lake Louise (1661m) cruise, a stock Stingray would have been down to a measly 385 when it rolled into town............ :Cryin:

The scenery helps you forget that though. :thumbs:

Does someone care to do the numbers on an altitude of 7,200 feet ASL? That’s what Highwood Pass sits at.

7200 x .3048 = 2194 metres. 2194 / 300 = 7.11 x .03 = 0.2133 or 21.3%. Multiply by sea level HP. In your case Mike, assuming your Z is stock at about 505 HP, you have lost 107 ponies and are down to 398 HP at 7200 feet.

Of course now at that altitude, we can begin to factor in the aerodynamic drag coefficient reduction in the thinner air, which would compensate somewhat for the loss of HP.... especially at the higher speeds....... And that, my friends, makes a difference that I have no intention of calculating...... :Topicclosed:

7200 x .3048 = 2194 metres. 2194 / 300 = 7.11 x .03 = 0.2133 or 21.3%. Multiply by sea level HP. In your case Mike, assuming your Z is stock at about 505 HP, you have lost 107 ponies and are down to 398 HP at 7200 feet.

Of course now at that altitude, we can begin to factor in the aerodynamic drag coefficient reduction in the thinner air, which would compensate somewhat for the loss of HP.... especially at the higher speeds....... And that, my friends, makes a difference that I have no intention of calculating...... :Topicclosed:
:Arghh: Holy !! That’s crazy !! Thanks Eric,I think. I better go outside and shovel,,,again.

I know this thread hasn't been commented on in a while, but rather than start a new thread when there's good info here, I'll comment here as I did want to hear from fellow newer Z06 owners regarding fuel choices.

My Z06 will be picked up on May 16th (it's presently in the dealer show room) as the city roads will be cleaned and pot holes repaired by then, as well we're still getting rather cold weather (5-10), so I'm actually okay not taking delivery until then......ha ha.

So I just downloaded the Corvette manual from GM and I note they recommend 93 octane for new Z06's. I always buy Shell gasoline but in Canada I understand it's 91 octane and I believe across the river in the US, it's 92 octane.

Am I okay running the 91, or would you recommend octane boosters? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Cobra

This is taken from the Pure Gas site Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
No ethanol in the following:

All Canada: Shell V-Power 91, Canadian Tire 91, Esso 91, Petro-Canada SuperClean 91
Atlantic Canada: Irving Fuels premium
Western Canada: CO-OP premium
Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI: all premium? Please confirm with evidence!
Ontario: Costco 91
British Columbia: Chevron 94

As an adjunct to the above, Petro Canada states as follows. They do not come out and say any grade of fuel is ethanol free.
"Ethanol-blended gasoline.
In many of our gasoline grades, ethanol is blended with our conventional unleaded gas. Up to 10% ethanol is mixed with our gasoline where conditions warrant and to meet federal and provincial mandates."

So that is nether here nor there, Does it or does it not whereas the Shell site states
"Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline has:
  • The highest octane of all Shell fuels*
  • The highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System
  • Seven times the minimum amount of cleaning agents required by federal standard
  • 0% ethanol at every station in Canada"
So buy at your discretion

Last edited:
I know this thread hasn't been commented on in a while, but rather than start a new thread when there's good info here, I'll comment here as I did want to hear from fellow newer Z06 owners regarding fuel choices.

My Z06 will be picked up on May 16th (it's presently in the dealer show room) as the city roads will be cleaned and pot holes repaired by then, as well we're still getting rather cold weather (5-10), so I'm actually okay not taking delivery until then......ha ha.

So I just downloaded the Corvette manual from GM and I note they recommend 93 octane for new Z06's. I always buy Shell gasoline but in Canada I understand it's 91 octane and I believe across the river in the US, it's 92 octane.

Am I okay running the 91, or would you recommend octane boosters? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Cobra

You are fine on 91 Cobra. Don’t stress over the ethanol thing either. Just don’t store the car over 1/4 tank with fuel containing ethanol. I can mess up your fuel sender unit. Some good documentation on that. My Z06s usually don’t sit with ethanol fuel over the winters. However it did last year with 3/4 of a tank. No problems but I did give the car a good drink of stabilizer.
91 with or without ethanol is fine for running around and normal driving. If you plan to go on the track or just drive the hell out of the car... definitely find ethanol free 93 or 94 if you can. The octane boosters are wide dubious in actual advantages.

Yes some guys will roast me here and insist ethanol and 91 gas will ruin your car but I’ve had 3 Z06s; 2 of them supercharged and never an issue.

I put in whatever is convenient as my car is for pleasure and not a route to jail by tracking it on the street..😂

The manual for your car is clear. Follow it and you will be fine man. 👍

Relax and enjoy the hell out of your new beauty.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.