427Carl

Regular
2 You're 10
Jul 21, 2012
Clinton Ontario Canada
VetteCoins
Car
are there thread on this?.... I was reading a question/answer in this months Hemmimgs muscle car mag....
The "Ask Ray" question was about injector versus system cleaners
The responce was a endorsment for Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner.... Just wondering.... Makes sense to clean the whole system ??

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
That the same response I had... BUT the fellow writing explained the difference I will scan his story and post it

Anyway you can post a link? We can't copy and paste articles onto the forum as the southern forum was sued for copying and pasting material. I would hate for this to happen here!

I've been told by several people and it is in my owner's manual (2005) to stay away from methanol based gas, page 5-6. Apparently corrosion and degradation by the methanol results in real problems which I certainly don't need. Parts for these cars are too expensive to not take care of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2KforeverC5
The o/m for my '11 says I can use ethanol based gasolines in my car provided they comply with Top Tier specs which limits those additives to 10% and is approved by GM.
What they warn against is E85 which contains up to 85% ethanol.
In an engine that's not designed for it, that level can be very harmful to certain components.

This website describes Top Tier gasolines and their characteristics and availability in the US and Canada.

Top Tier Gasoline

The Techron that I use would still keep the Top Tier gasoline that I use within the 10% ethanol requirement -- that is if the techron was ethanol based which I believe that it is not.

I feel quite safe using Chevron's techron in my '11 GS and will continue to do so.
Indeed it has run very well for almost 10k kilometers now.

C.

Reactions: ffastwheels
Techron

Good Evening - I have used Techron for 7 years specifically to prevent the sulfate buildup around the sensors in the C5 gas tank which can cause the fuel level indication to be false. I believe there are some threads that describe this problem.
Once under control after the first 2 years then just adding one bottle on the last fill up along with the fuel stabilizer seems to work on the sulfate problem.
I am sure it also helps the injectors and at this point there does not appear to be any downside.
It is fairly popular with diesel truck engines to keep the injectors clean.
Don't know if it is available in Ont. yet, but you can buy it in the US (Walmart, Target) or on the west coast at the Chevron stations.
Interested to read the writeup.

You would think that what would clean the injectors would also clean everything else on the way to the injectors. Am I missing something?

My dad used Slick 50 for YEARS in our old Astro. Mind you, that was in the engine oil and not a fuel system cleaner. I would just stick with what is known to work. Sea-foam or if you can get your hands on it, Techron.

PS, welcome to the forum!

are there thread on this?.... I was reading a question/answer in this months Hemmimgs muscle car mag....
The "Ask Ray" question was about injector versus system cleaners
The responce was a endorsment for Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner.... Just wondering.... Makes sense to clean the whole system ??
The way I look at it is, if there is no issues just leave it be. Just continue using same high octane fuel (Shell) forget about cleaners and additives. 😳😎🤓

I use Chevron's FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER WITH TECHRON.
I figure it cleans not only the injectors but the whole system and that it's looking after my fuel system just fine.

C.
Just a question? Was there a any issues that you’re putting additives in your engine? Just curious!!!😳 Careful with those staffs!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.