Casual User
Nov 23, 2018
Kawartha Lakes, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Z06/Z07 3LZ
Province
ON
Just out of curiosity..... do those running no front license plate find they are still harassed by the police and handed love letters for a lack there of?

Seeing as these aren't your typical 2001 Honda Civics with 20yr old ego-empowered male owners sporting fart cannon exhausts, I was curious as to whether the outcome was/would be similar.

• Haha
Reactions: YFCvii
The only thing about not requiring a front plate in Alberta is that there
is actually avocation to make a municipal law that would make it mandatory
to park nose-first in the on-your-honor pay-for-park parking stall because
they only want to drive by and take a photo of violating vehicles (license plate)
- as they can then consider you as a non-payer if you back in and just impound the vehicle.
Yet the paid receipt often states "place on dash" which is in full sight when you back in. :Rage:

Basically, in Ontario, all motor vehicles must have two licence plates on the vehicle. One in the front and one in the back ....
There are also strict rules about the kind of coverings you can put over a licence plate ....
The fine is $110.00 no demerit points ....

It's a great question ... that has come to mind ... but I never followed through to check on when planning my road trips.
I've always wondered if the law applies but is looked away from Alberta vehicles when in Ontario (BC, MAN, most US States, etc).
If it does not apply, I can see a valid argument that if it's OK for any visitor, why not include the residents.

I struggle to find a writ with exemptions to the License Plate requirements that all passenger vehicles
must have 2 plates, when in a 2-plate territory ...

license-plate-by-province.png

license-plate-by-state.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hemicat
Basically, in Ontario, all motor vehicles must have two licence plates on the vehicle. One in the front and one in the back ....
There are also strict rules about the kind of coverings you can put over a licence plate ....
The fine is $110.00 no demerit points ....

Hmmmm....Gives me an idea... Each of us runs for federal government in our respective provinces...Then we pass a Canada wide Traffic and Hiways Act, throwing out the things we don't like, and adding all the ideas we do like... You get to toss the front plate, we get to tint our side windows; no mudflaps required on Corvettes. no matter how wide the tires are...Throw out the BC luxury car tax. Oh yeah.... we get an extra letter on our vanity plates too... If we get challenged by the authorities, we just flash our SNC Lavalin 'stay out of jail free' cards...

Being that I am an Ontario resident of nearly 30yrs who has also resided in both Alberta and BC for a decent amount of time I am well aware of the laws and expectations...

My question can be taken two ways:

- In Ontario are we just as apt to be pulled over if driving with no front plate as a 20yr old driving a loud Honda Civic who also fails to display it? or do the police let it slide alittle moreso do to the vehicle/owners/driving habits exhibited?

- If you are a resident of a province such as Alberta and drive your vehicle in a province such as Ontario are you at risk of recieving a "fail to display front plate" ticket?

I find some laws to be very finicky and at the discretion of the officer. I know some US states implement a "no-tint policy" and will serve a ticket regardless of where the vehicle originates from.

Being that I am an Ontario resident of nearly 30yrs who has also resided in both Alberta and BC for a decent amount of time I am well aware of the laws and expectations...

My question can be taken two ways:

- In Ontario are we just as apt to be pulled over if driving with no front plate as a 20yr old driving a loud Honda Civic who also fails to display it? or do the police let it slide alittle moreso do to the vehicle/owners/driving habits exhibited?

- If you are a resident of a province such as Alberta and drive your vehicle in a province such as Ontario are you at risk of recieving a "fail to display front plate" ticket?

I find some laws to be very finicky and at the discretion of the officer. I know some US states implement a "no-tint policy" and will serve a ticket regardless of where the vehicle originates from.
That’s what I thought would be our situation. Our vehicles must meet the requirements of where we drive except for those required specifically by residents only.
I’m sure the ticket has to be written by an officer and not a “photograph” - so driver demeanour may play a role on whether one receives a “fail to display” or not.

I am starting to realize that if receiving only one plate from our registration province, it does not entitle an exemption when in a two plate territory. I’ve always received two plates in Alberta (two vanity plates too) and I think reasoning is becoming apparent.

Last edited:
No problems here in Sask as you only get one plate when you register the vehicle.
Same here in NL, well for cars anyway. Pick-em-up trucks and commercial vehicles have to have 2. I've seen P/U's gong around with no plate on front, I don't think they will ticket them for not having it there.

New Brunswick just announced yesterday that they are eliminating front plates. I would encourage people in Ontario to send their local MPP a letter supporting a move to eliminate front plates.

However, I know several people that do not often run front plates, and they have not gotten tickets.

I checked with my insurance company, and they confirmed that if I did receive a ticket for not having a front plate, it's treated the same as a minor speeding ticket. I run a front plate about 90% of the time.

Last edited:
I was only given 1 plate for years now in Alberta. Just regular plates for non-commercial vehicles.
So if you only get one plate... fairly difficult to put on a front to travel to a 2 plate province or state.

• Agree
Reactions: LE BARON
I was only given 1 plate for years now in Alberta. Just regular plates for non-commercial vehicles.
So if you only get one plate... fairly difficult to put on a front to travel to a 2 plate province or state.
Ya I’ve been recycling my old dual-plates ... never knew only one plate now

Two of my cousins are police officers and I’ve asked them this question. Two words, officer discretion. So basically if you’re driving a black tinted out van with no plates or only has one plate, they will pull you over instantly. Now, if you’re a good looking guy like me driving your corvette 5kph below the speed limit they might just roll down their window and say nice ride but make sure you put your front plate on. But their colleagues might have a diff perception of a corvette driver or someone driving a sports car for that matter.

In the end, it’s your call. If you don’t mind the hassle and paying the fine, skip the front plate ( I know at least a couple of guys who don’t have their front plates on and have never been pulled over)

Living in a mandatory front plate province and not wanting the ugly plastic front plate carrier some have referred to as the nose wart, here was what I did. I enter my car in a lot of car shows and show and shines so I can pop the plate on and off in seconds. I sourced this plate carrier made by Innovative Automotive products in the US. Pictures attached of the removable plate carrier and myself installing it. When removed there is nothing to see since the inside barcket is not visible behind the front grille.

Living in a mandatory front plate province and not wanting the ugly plastic front plate carrier some have referred to as the nose wart, here was what I did. I enter my car in a lot of car shows and show and shines so I can pop the plate on and off in seconds. I sourced this plate carrier made by Innovative Automotive products in the US. Pictures attached of the removable plate carrier and myself installing it. When removed there is nothing to see since the inside barcket is not visible behind the front grille.View attachment 24823View attachment 24824
Wow you are strong ... lifting the front end of that awesome Corvette up with one arm :Wideyed:

When I got my car, it didn't have the front plate bracket on it, and the previous owner had never run the front plate. I ran that way for about a month last summer, but every time I saw a cop I'd think about it, so I finally caved and put on the front plate just for peace of mind, but I made my own bracket with a couple L brackets and a piece of metal bent to the curve of the bumper.

The previous owner told me he never had a problem, but he was crossing the border once and the agent said "you know you're supposed to have a front plate?" to which he replied "yes" and that was that. He's also in a rural area in the southern interior of BC, whereas I live in the Vancouver area, and my chance of running into snarky cops may be higher. A friend of mine who is a Vancouver Police officer said to just keep the plate under the seat, then put it up on the dash if pulled over, and say it was there if they ask.

With the dumper fire that is ICBC, you'd think David Eby would be looking for more ways to save money, and eliminating front plates would help, but that would presume his strategy is to implement good business practices rather than prop up the monopoly government insurer.

I have friends working for 3 different police services here in Ontario - all say that coppers won't typically care about the front plate of exotic cars including Vettes, so long as there's no other egregious violation of the highway traffic act (eg speeding, aggressive driving, etc).

I put a "sho-n-go" on 2 summers ago, and thus far I've been left alone. Now I'm posting this response, ill probably get pinched as soon as I get it off the lift this spring...

One thing's for certain... it sure does look a LOT better without that front plate!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread