Crinks

Casual User
Apr 12, 2018
VetteCoins
New to the forum, apologies if this has been previously covered but I could not find. I'm wondering what owners recommend for a front-end wrap, and what other parts of a C7 are you seeing exposed to chips, etc that should be wrapped.. As well, is there a clear winner between XPEL, 3M, and specifically any installers that you would recommend in the GTA area.

Thanks
Crinks

Reactions: Gray1581
Hi Crinks.

If you have the wide body you will need to do the back fenders in front of the rear wheels for sure. The front spats do not offer any protection from debris coming back and will mark up the area in front of the rear wheels quick.

I’m on my 2nd C7 Z06 and have covered my car where I found it to be needed.
Also note we have members here who have wrapped the entire car. Looks pretty good too.

See this thread it has lots of ideas.

Xpel saves the day

Derek

Reactions: XPEL
Crinks--we have a member of this site @Toxix who is a detailer and very helpful in these matters. Suggest you reach out.
While the definition of 'needed' will vary from person to person, I personally would consider firewall out and rears a must.

And if you don't want to listen to me, you should probably take Derek's advice.:upup:

New to the forum, apologies if this has been previously covered but I could not find. I'm wondering what owners recommend for a front-end wrap, and what other parts of a C7 are you seeing exposed to chips, etc that should be wrapped.. As well, is there a clear winner between XPEL, 3M, and specifically any installers that you would recommend in the GTA area.

Thanks
Crinks

I have my front end, backs of the mirrors, door opening button area, and door sillsdone in 3M. I had 3M on my C6 and I know they had some problems years ago with their adhesive yellowing but I've never had a problem. On that note, I think I'm going to do the entire hood this spring and am seriusly looking at Suntek film. Has some great ratings and we have an installer near me with rave reviews. If the mood hits me, I may do the rest of the car....

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'll take a look at Suntek as well, need to get this done sooner than later.

Good plan with “the sooner the better”.

There are plenty of options and ideas out there and I suppose you need to look at what’s best for you. The roads you are most commonly on and who near you is better with what products are a pretty big factor.
One thing that I feel is consistent is the nose protection and the rear sides for wide body cars. From there it’s a preference.

Enjoy

D

Thanks
Crinks
ACS Composite sells better splash guards than come on the C7 which help with some splash back issues - Ziggy this forum installed on his car as well as wrapped car, if I remember correctly? Myself not worried as I do not do a lot of hwy driving and may trade in on new C8 when available? Good luck!!!

Just had mine done with clear wrap along hood, fenders, front nose and front spoiler, along the bottom 4 -5 " of the side of the car as well as the rockers. The inside door sill sills, front and back of rear tires, side view mirrors, headlights and the door opening area where you insert the hand.... I also added the black hood stripe - (unsure if I will keep it or not)..... had rear hatch window tinted (not overly dark) along with the 2 rear small windows, and had a light 70% tint applied to the drivers and passenger windows..... whew..... A bit of over kill maybe, but its done now. Not sure if its due to the color of the car, but it pretty much invisible.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    920.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    885.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
Definitely get it done as soon as you can to best protect your paint. I had mine done with XPEL, entire front end, doors, back of mirrors, rear quarter panels and the targa top. So basically didn't do the rear end, spoiler and rear window.

The shop that did mine used the computer templates. But if you look closely you can see where it stops at the seams, and the cut they made to go around the mirrors ( you have to really look ! ).

In hind sight I should have paid a little more, gone with SekanSkin and totally wrapped the car. They don't use templates and do it all by hand. I was reluctant when they said they would have to disassemble the doors so they could remove the mirrors, since they wouldn't do it with a seam. Also they would remove the front clip so they could properly wrap it. When I was at their shop off of Dixie they had an R8 torn apart so they could properly wrap the car.

Two reasons I would have totally wrapped the car in hindsight:
1 - The reach over when putting things into the back really needs protection, especially the spoiler.
2 - at the very edge where the template stops I've incurred some nicks around the hood

Now I know I'm being picky but aren't we all with our Vettes?

Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
I did my whole car in Xpel Ultimate. No, you don't have to do the whole car but as SmackYYZ said you do get rocks in weird spots at times and... it is a vette and we tend to be picky :)

But also for me it meant when hand drying my car I didn't have to worry about micro scratches etc from micro fibre towels. Even the good ones will give small micro scratches that, depending up on the colour of your car, will show up in the sunlight to the naked eye. I had a 2013 black Camaro and, as great as black looks when its perfect, man does it show micro scratches from hand drying so I swore if I bought a new car I would cover the whole dang thing. A lighter colour car will not be as bad as black for that but ... vette.. picky.. ;):Biggrin:

Just had mine done with clear wrap along hood, fenders, front nose and front spoiler, along the bottom 4 -5 " of the side of the car as well as the rockers. The inside door sill sills, front and back of rear tires, side view mirrors, headlights and the door opening area where you insert the hand.... I also added the black hood stripe - (unsure if I will keep it or not)..... had rear hatch window tinted (not overly dark) along with the 2 rear small windows, and had a light 70% tint applied to the drivers and passenger windows..... whew..... A bit of over kill maybe, but its done now. Not sure if its due to the color of the car, but it pretty much invisible.

Yes absolutely get that stuff on ASAP. Once it’s scratched or chipped it’s too late. Then it gets expensive.
You and I did almost the same film coverage and window tinting. I added the back quarters with the film and had limo tint on the rear and small side windows. Can’t remember the number rating on the driver and passenger window tint but it’s coming off and going a bit darker.
On my black car you can see the edges of the film if the light is right. I’m ok with that as it does such a good job protecting the paint. Next time I would seriously consider wrapping the entire car. C8? We will see.. haha
I really like the hood decal. Looks great Paul.

Since we are talking about clear wrap here I think this will also qualifies as a cosmetic enhancement... here is what was just delivered. Another little cosmetic touch. Fits within the under hood liner inside the crossed flag impression. Based on the price, ($73.00us) I expected a thinner lighter version, its actually pretty damn sturdy and the color is rich. This is uninstalled. Will remove liner tomorrow and install.....

Attachments

• Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Since we are talking about clear wrap here I think this will also qualifies as a cosmetic enhancement... here is what was just delivered. Another little cosmetic touch. Fits within the under hood liner inside the crossed flag impression. Based on the price, ($73.00us) I expected a thinner lighter version, its actually pretty damn sturdy and the color is rich. Will remove liner tomorrow and install.....

That’s a very nice addition and dresses things up well under there. Looking forward to seeing your emblem installed.

Mine came like this...

54641541-5A36-412A-BEFB-9CAED9026A79.jpeg

Thanks all for your feedback. I'm getting the work done late next week with either Xpel or SunTek Ultra. I got decent references for two installers and I'll visit both prior and make final decision. Regardless, both of these installers will use computer cuts for mirrors, headlights, & door cups, and will manually cut and wrap the entire hood, bumper, door sills, and in front of rear wheel well so the seams are hidden behind these areas. Thanks again everyone, your input made my decision an easy one!

Thanks all for your feedback. I'm getting the work done late next week with either Xpel or SunTek Ultra. I got decent references for two installers and I'll visit both prior and make final decision. Regardless, both of these installers will use computer cuts for mirrors, headlights, & door cups, and will manually cut and wrap the entire hood, bumper, door sills, and in front of rear wheel well so the seams are hidden behind these areas. Thanks again everyone, your input made my decision an easy one!

Great decision on your placement IMHO. When you hear all that sand coming off your wheels you can now smile and relax knowing you car is protected.
Look forward to some photos after it’s all done for you.
Also lots of guys are using the flexible bra for the C7s and swear by them for highway trips. They go on and off in seconds (seen @turbozig put his on and it was less than a minute.) He may want to offer his experience with this bit of kit for you too.

Enjoy that excellent looking Corvette.

Derek

Since we are talking about clear wrap here I think this will also qualifies as a cosmetic enhancement... here is what was just delivered. Another little cosmetic touch. Fits within the under hood liner inside the crossed flag impression. Based on the price, ($73.00us) I expected a thinner lighter version, its actually pretty damn sturdy and the color is rich. Will remove liner tomorrow and install.....

Hey Paul. That's gonna look great. I've been looking at these as well and held off as I,ve heard some are pretty loosie goosie.... If you don't mind me asking, where did you order yours from?

Hey Paul. That's gonna look great. I've been looking at these as well and held off as I,ve heard some are pretty loosie goosie.... If you don't mind me asking, where did you order yours from?

I ordered it from Midwest Corvette. I attached some pics for those who may be interested. The ad is pretty precise, it states that it does not fully fill the embossing as you will see in the pics. It attaches by both epoxy glue and 3 screws which I also show in the pics. If I were to do it again I would prob not utilise the screws-no way its coming if with that epoxy. Its a very nice 3D image, Im sure its not for everyone but imo the underside of the hood looks much better.... Ohh, and apologies for all the sun you see in the background.... :Angelsad2:

Attachments

• Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread