LATNC5

Jan 24, 2009
Saskatoon
VetteCoins
well, i did it. its stared with out to many issues. my power steering fluid all leaked out again...no clue as to why. it did the same thing last year. filled it up and leaked stopped. if it keeps getting warm i might just plated the thing. only thing is that my voltmeter is reading 13.1

Ah, nothing like that first spring startup and he smell or raw fuel and exhaust fumes!
You should get under the car and find out where the power steering fluid is leaking
from there must be some signs somewhere as to where its coming from?

With the alternator to get a good charge you should have 13.5+ volts or you might not charge the battery properly.
You could possibly have a bad diode on the alternator and not giving enough dc volts or a bad regulator.
You can try putting your meter on the battery when fully charged and measure the DC voltage, the switch from DC to AC,
then you can measure any leaked AC voltage if there is a bad diode you will get a reading in the AC setting, if nothing then
the diodes are good. Make sure your ground wires are good also on the battery and the alternator wiring is ok.

Last edited:
You could have issues with the battery depending on how long it was dead. There is a possibility that it sufated which would keep it from holding a charge, plus if it's an optima, they are not suppose to charge after being completely drained either (Mine did:D). Lastly, depending on if it was stored outside, it may have froze which could damage the internal structure of the battery.

You could have issues with the battery depending on how long it was dead. There is a possibility that it sufated which would keep it from holding a charge, plus if it's an optima, they are not suppose to charge after being completely drained either (Mine did:D). Lastly, depending on if it was stored outside, it may have froze which could damage the internal structure of the battery.

Good point, forgot about the battery, I have had one with a bad cell that would not hold a charge, the battery
lower then normal, took to Canadian Tire and they put on a battery tester and load tested and gave me a printout.

We can plate our cars for only the time of the year we want. Usually people here have a package policy on their car on top of the SGI insurance which covers the car while in storage (in case of fire or vandalism etc.). Me for example, I plate the car in the spring with SGI (going to today!) and add collision and galss to my package policy for the summer. When october or november rolls around I go in and remove the SGI insurance and the collsion and glass from my package for storage. Saves me about $60 a year. Considering I only pay about $140 total I figure that's preety darn good.

T

Oh and Welcome!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.