I agree: just after the break-in period (about 805 km) is a good time and what my dealer recommended, even though the manual suggests doing it after a lot more km. Page 295 of the 2021 C8 manual suggests you check your oil at 12,000 km and change it then, "if needed" and your onboard diagnostics will tell you your remaining oil life at any time. However this is a long-standing debate. Many think you just have to follow the manual/manufacturer recommendations and doing it sooner is a waste of time/money/materials, whereas others prefer to err on the side of caution and change the oil/filter sooner. So up to you to decide which "camp" you're in.

For Canadians, GM pays for 2 free oil/filter changes anytime in the first year of ownership. The OP's dealer has volunteered a third which is nice. You also get 2 more if you have a GM Scotia Visa card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crzynot2
Oil changes go by miles or age. I got my car late last Fall just in time to store it for the winter and put a few miles on it and right now have only 1,822 kilometres on it but my oil life says 24% left. So will be changing it pretty soon. Your OnStar app will tell you when to change your oil. Was hoping it would last just before I store it for the winter so it will sit with clean oil in it for the months to come.

I agree: just after the break-in period (about 805 km) is a good time and what my dealer recommended, even though the manual suggests doing it after a lot more km. Page 295 of the 2021 C8 manual suggests you check your oil at 12,000 km and change it then, "if needed" and your onboard diagnostics will tell you your remaining oil life at any time. However this is a long-standing debate. Many think you just have to follow the manual/manufacturer recommendations and doing it sooner is a waste of time/money/materials, whereas others prefer to err on the side of caution and change the oil/filter sooner. So up to you to decide which "camp" you're in.

For Canadians, GM pays for 2 free oil/filter changes anytime in the first year of ownership. The OP's dealer has volunteered a third which is nice. You also get 2 more if you have a GM Scotia Visa card.
Netsinah, you ended your post by saying that we get an extra 2 free oil change if we have the GM Scotia Visa card. I have a Scotia Card since 2018 when I bought my first Corvette but I did not get any information on these two extra oil change when I got my 2021 C8. It is an intensive to get their card, meaning by this if you do not have a GM Scotia Visa card and you buy a Corvette then you get these extra oil change or you get these extra oil change even if you already have the GM Scotia Visa card?
Buy the way, the points that you accumulate on the GM Scotia Visa card can't be used when you buy a Corvette. Corvette are excluded of the points program.

Netsinah, you ended your post by saying that we get an extra 2 free oil change if we have the GM Scotia Visa card. I have a Scotia Card since 2018 when I bought my first Corvette but I did not get any information on these two extra oil change when I got my 2021 C8. It is an intensive to get their card, meaning by this if you do not have a GM Scotia Visa card and you buy a Corvette then you get these extra oil change or you get these extra oil change even if you already have the GM Scotia Visa card?
Buy the way, the points that you accumulate on the GM Scotia Visa card can't be used when you buy a Corvette. Corvette are excluded of the points program.
Not to open a can of worms. But according to Scotia visa. There are no restrictions to vehicles purchased. The link below, scroll past the 4 logos and click the "restrictions link" if my information is not correct I apologize in advance.

I spoke to the dealer I am waiting to deliver my c8 and as I don't have many points. They did check and said that the extra oil changes would apply to a c8

Rob

I applied for my GM Scotia Visa card specifically because I was buying a C8. The reward dollars I accumulated on that card were applied towards my C8 purchase so Crzynot2 and canadianvetster are correct. GM however can decide to exclude vehicles from eligibility but so far, no vehicles are ineligible according to the Website: How To Redeem - GM Card.

As to whether you're entitled to another 2 oil/filter changes with a GM Visa card held since 2018 when buying your first Corvette, I can't say. I know I qualified for 2 more 2020 C8 oil/filter changes with my card which I got in early 2020. I'd suggest you contact GM Visa to find out.

Reactions: Crzynot2
I redeemed over $3000 of Scotia GM Visa to buy my 2016 C7.
A year later I redeemed over $3000 more Scotia GM visa to buy my wife's 2017 C7.
It's a great rewards Card and I use it for everything ... it's over $3000 again and climbing for the next purchase.
I do not anticipate and issue if this will be for a C8.

When referring to the "free" oil change.
After buying so many New GM Vehicles, including $90k Corvettes, I always referred to the oil changes as "included" and never as "free".
They are a result of paying big bucks for a Corvette and it has been inclusive to every new GM purchase and never out of the goodness of a Dealership.
So, when talking to any Dealership ... perhaps refer to it as an "included oil change" as it has always taken on a different perspective when I used
a word that put the benefit best toward something that I am entitled to (and not gifted with).
It's Food for Thought only - something I learned from a multilingual corporate negotiator -
also came in handy when negotiating for the oil to be Mobil 1 too
as so many Dealerships had to be "arm-wrestled" to honor it for the dry-sump Stingray.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: pozi240
Just got my first yesterday. at a touch over 7k. Since it was the first and free, I'm OK with it. The second will be next May or June and again free at likely 1200 kms. so I'll get the DCT canister filter changed at that point also, but after that, I'll do the oil changes every 10 to 15000 KMs and not once a year. Waste of money IMO.

Just got my first yesterday. at a touch over 7k. Since it was the first and free, I'm OK with it. The second will be next May or June and again free at likely 1200 kms. so I'll get the DCT canister filter changed at that point also, but after that, I'll do the oil changes every 10 to 15000 KMs and not once a year. Waste of money IMO.
Recommend all you guys check with your dealership service manager after your free changes run out. If they're not the type that rips customers off, supply your own oil and the cost isn't a waste of money. I supply my oil, my dealership supplies the filter and does the multipoint insp on my C7, and I'm out the door for $45.00. Use to be $35.00 last year but still a helluva saving.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.