Car's going in for surgery in the next few days... I'm installing a forged 427 LS7 short block. I'm going to use my Ls3 ported heads, fast intake and 102 TB. This set-up should have a lot of torque once it's done. With the stock block, the car dyno'd 658 rwhp and 574 rwtq. It'll be interesting to see what the new numbers will be once it's installed and dyno'd...

Last edited:
Well, I've always been interested in changing to a 427 set-up and the opportunity presented itself, unexpectedly. During the Arizona type heat wave we had a few weeks ago [in Toronto], the car started to overheat. After doing a leak-down test, the boys found that cylinders 5 & 7 were down 20%. After removing the cylinder head, they found out that the sleeve, in the 5th cylinder had a hair-line crack. The crack in the sleeve was the contributing factor for the overheating because every time the piston was TDC it would push air into the cooling jackets.

So, I'm waiting for all of the machining to be completed, and then sometime in the next week or so, everything should be up and running. As for my LS3 short block, I'll be sending it out to get repaired and will keep it as a spare.

why the change?

New Ls7 427 just arrived

My forged Ls7 427 just arrived today

Toronto-20110822-00048.jpg

Toronto-20110822-00046.jpg

its too bad that thing will be covered with a hood and other parts :) Any indication as to what caused the crack in the cylinder walls? was it the additional compression caused by the blower?

Well, I think ultimately the sleeve itself wasn't "good" if you will, because all of the pistons looked fine. There was definitely no consistency in terms of cylinder sleeve thickness compared to an LS7 block. Some guys have had no problems doing what I did [at least in a the short term], with a stock block. The block only had 14K on it. I'm sure the extra compression further exasperated the problem. So, I personally believe it was just bad luck. Time to move on. :D

I think the numbers for this set-up, should be north of 714 RWHP. I wasn't able to exceed 714 last time, because of the cracked cylinder sleeve, and the fact that I lost 20% compression in two cylinders [5 and 7]. :coolgleam:

I'll post the results once the car has been dyno'd... :D

Man, that think is going to be crazy! I can't wait to hear the numbers.

The boys at Champion, did a great job of getting the car set up, so that I can be back on the road for next week. I have a 3.4" pulley on the system now, so I suspect that I might exceed the 13 lbs of boost, that I had last time. As long as it can take the extra boost [and it most definitely should], why not! But, at the end of the day, my end goal is a 10.5 to 10.7 on street tires, at a 138+ MPH. :D

I'll be posting the numbers once I get the Dyno done early next week! :D

Wow that was quick.. :). You don't play around lol. Are you planning on stepping up the boost now as a result of your new forged bottom end?

wwwoooooohhhhhhooooo
She is come'in together or should we say Wilson is :)
good chat'in with you and Rob on Wednesday .I like them heads :).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.