Feb 18, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 1974 L82
Province
BC
Sorry if this has been posted and replied to before but I am looking to replace mainly the rear and eventually the front bumpers on my 74.
The rear is the worst as it is cracked and will be done first.
Have any of you out there done this and did you go Truflex or Fiberglass?
And whichever you used, do you regret it and wish you had used a different choice?
on Vancouver island so also not familiar with where to buy whatever is suggested.
Open to all suggestions.
Thanks.
GT74R

Sorry if this has been posted and replied to before but I am looking to replace mainly the rear and eventually the front bumpers on my 74.
The rear is the worst as it is cracked and will be done first.
Have any of you out there done this and did you go Truflex or Fiberglass?
And whichever you used, do you regret it and wish you had used a different choice?
on Vancouver island so also not familiar with where to buy whatever is suggested.
Open to all suggestions.
Thanks.
GT74R
Talk to @Jr. Corvette . He's the current king of C3 body work

Reactions: GT74R
Hello @GT74R
welcome to CCF..
I did my ‘75 coupe rear bumper a few years ago.

I used an ECKLERS tru-flex or flex-fit bumper.
I was really lucky with the fender fit on the cover.
No bodywork was needed to the fenders on the bumper cover itself.
I hope this photo-story helps.

graham

Hi @GT74R. I used a Trueflex bumper on the front of my car when I painted the front half of my car a few years ago. This year when I decided to paint my car, one of the parts I got was a new fiberglass rear bumper.

The Trueflex bumper fit terribly and was a 1/4" short on the passenger side and 1/8" short on the drivers side. It can also easy distort went you bolt it in place so the one benefit of the Trueflex can actually be it's downfall.

The fiberglass bumper was a near perfect fit and bolted into place nicely. I also found it to have a much nicer finish and requires less body work to get perfect.

If I had to do it again I would stick with fiberglass all round. From my experience Ecklers fiberglass parts are not well made. My side skirts from them were different lengths and poorly made. They also falsely advertised Custom Image Corvette flared quarters on their website and sent me their crappy quarters instead which were again poorly made and a completely different design.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Hi @GT74R. I used a Trueflex bumper on the front of my car when I painted the front half of my car a few years ago. This year when I decided to paint my car, one of the parts I got was a new fiberglass rear bumper.

The Trueflex bumper fit terribly and was a 1/4" short on the passenger side and 1/8" short on the drivers side. It can also easy distort went you bolt it in place so the one benefit of the Trueflex can actually be it's downfall.

The fiberglass bumper was a near perfect fit and bolted into place nicely. I also found it to have a much nicer finish and requires less body work to get perfect.

If I had to do it again I would stick with fiberglass all round. From my experience Ecklers fiberglass parts are not well made. My side skirts from them were different lengths and poorly made. They also falsely advertised Custom Image Corvette flared quarters on their website and sent me their crappy quarters instead which were again poorly made and a completely different design.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks Jr. Corvette.
I have been reading other threads on different sites that basically concur with what you are saying. I have to say that the originals on my car are not the greatest fit either.
Do you have any suggestions as to where to purchase the fiberglass bumpers? Are they all made by the same manufacturers or should one search the supply houses?
Thanks for your interest.
GT74R

Thanks Jr. Corvette.
I have been reading other threads on different sites that basically concur with what you are saying. I have to say that the originals on my car are not the greatest fit either.
Do you have any suggestions as to where to purchase the fiberglass bumpers? Are they all made by the same manufacturers or should one search the supply houses?
Thanks for your interest.
GT74R
You could contact Corvette Parts World wide. The guy there is Bruce and he's helped me out with a rear wing and pace car spoiler that fit amazing well. The spoiler was actually made a little big so you could sand it down to a perfect fit which I was really impressed with. He's actually in BC so that would be great for you with shipping.

Then there is Western Corvette in Calgary. They are the ones that sold me my rear bumper.

My rear bumper, wing, and pace car spoiler were all ACI and those are the only panels that have fit perfectly right out of the box.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Hope everyone had a safe Christmas.
Its time I got something ordered in the way of a back bumper cover for my 74.
there seems to be a plethora of choices .
In searching the net, I have found Fiberglass( fake split) Fiberglass 2 piece, Tru-flex ( fake split) and Tru-flex 2 piece.
ACI and Ecklers seem to be the only 2 choices I have come across and opinions vary on both.
I have sent an enquiry to Western as was suggested and am awaiting a reply. ( New Years)
I am leaning towards Fiberglass 2 piece from Mid America ( price)
Any and all suggestions on this topic that have not come up before,I would be pleased to read. Thanks and Happy New Year to all.
George

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread