not2melo

High RPM Poster
Feb 8, 2009
Greg in Toronto/Gtown
VetteCoins
Car
1999 C5 Z51
Well to fit the 275 oversized Nitto NT555 wider rear tires on the V I needed to roll the inner
lip of the rear wheel wells to stop from hitting the tires when going over big bumps or when
turning hard into corners.
I decided to pick up a tool on Fleebay, its a copy of the Eastwood tool at a much cheaper
price but figured it should do the job.

I started by removing the tires and jacked the back end of the car up in air and setting down
on a pair of jack stands.
Then made sure to secure the front wheels well in both locations so the car would not more
forward or backward on me as had to take off the parking brake and put in neutral to be
able to move the axle freely to turn the tool around in the wheel well.

This slick little piece of equipment does a great job on the fender by turning over the lip and
rolling it inward and up away from possible tire contact.
You just have to heat the paint/lip with a hot gun and move the arm back and forth while
slowly turning the leaver that increases the outward pressure on the roller.
The heat will help to soften the paint so it will not crack and also the metal in the fender.
Its not much use on our fiberglass corvettes but any metal fender car this operation can be
performed on.

I could not get around be brake calipers and was not in the mood to remove them at the time
so took the car over to Manny's and we threw it on the lift and had the rest of the job complete
in just over a hour.
The main point of contact seems to be at the 10 and 2 clock positions but we rolled the whole
fender front to back. Here are some photos from in my garage, thanks Manny.

renderrollingtool.jpg

rollingt.jpg

fenderrolled.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, I've heard this term being used a few times now so we may have to start a thread on it. I don't mind poking fun but I'm not a fan of blanket statements.

Out of curiosity, we may have to get a definition on what a ricer is. Is it the equivalent to the guys with the 80's Monty Carlos with glass packs and shackle extenders that think their car is fast because it is loud?

I'm just asking because there are some beautiful Asian cars out there and as this is a public forum, I would hate to think that if someone with an NSX, or nice RX-7, or Supra were interested in Corvettes and reading this forum they would think we have a hate on for anything not American. I only bring this up as I have seen a lot of off colored comments in the forum to the south of us and would hate to have our forum follow that path of ignorance.

Am I tired of the kid with the fart car and wing revving his car up beside me because he wants to race? Sure, but is it that car's fault it's being driven by a d-bag? Plus, you get those dough heads in every group, so it's easier just to laugh at them and let them get on their way. I don't feel threatened by them and even if their car is fast, it still doesn't sound good so what do I care.

I know the people on here are great people and you guys are most likely just having a little fun. I'm just saying we have to be careful with what we say on here and what it looks like to the people on the outside.

Hey Riley dont think we where meaning to insult the import crowd, there are some
fast import cars out there, Supra is a fantastic car and would be a blast to drive.
I had a CRX-Si that pumped out 150hp out of a 1.6L motor, not bad for a little NA
four cylinder and rev'd to almost 8k was insane to drive.
My wife drives a Honda Accord also which I drive when we are not in the Vette or
the Caddy very reliable cars, so no insult intended to the import crowd.

I know. You and Tony are stand up guys and I really am not too concerned by what you wrote. It is probably my spending time down south that is making me a tad over sensitive. It's also hard to read the tone of replies as there is nothing to go by except what is written. I know you guys meant it just in fun and I tried to reply without sounding like anyone was in trouble although I may have failed on that one a bit as I am reading my post and may have over-reacted and could have PM'd you guys instead.

In general, I may have over reacted a bit. I am really not concerned at all that this is an issue in any way, shape or form. You guys are awesome members on here. Please carry on like normal.

I know. You and Tony are stand up guys and I really am not too concerned by what you wrote. It is probably my spending time down south that is making me a tad over sensitive. It's also hard to read the tone of replies as there is nothing to go by except what is written. I know you guys meant it just in fun and I tried to reply without sounding like anyone was in trouble although I may have failed on that one a bit as I am reading my post and may have over-reacted and could have PM'd you guys instead.

In general, I may have over reacted a bit. I am really not concerned at all that this is an issue in any way, shape or form. You guys are awesome members on here. Please carry on like normal.

No problem Riley.
You have a double posting issue going on, seen it happen before on your posts.

As usual shoot me a PM anytime, enjoy chatting with you.
Weather has been crappy here have only been out in the vette a few times.
Snow flurries yesterday, today and some freezing rain tomorrow :eek:

Holy! When the crap will this freaking winter ever go away! We are actually doing ok here except that it refuses to get warm. I need warm weather so I can get my car past the mote.

This double post tricked me because it went over two pages, normally I catch it. I used to never double post but ever since switching to Google Chrome, I am having double posting issues on at least a third to half of my posts. Very annoying.

Yah, a PM would have been a better idea. Whoops.