Anyone have experience with Exoshield windshield protection? I hear it can take a heater from Ricky Vaughn (a little Major League reference for y'all), but its not great with rain / windshield wipers ,etc....

I've been quoted $700 for install but really on the fence about it?

Thoughts and suggestions?
I thought CERAMIC can also be applied on windshields and headlights !!!

Reactions: kerry4
I was told ceramic coating on the windshield was ineffective for rock chips, so to avoid it. I don't know anything about Exoshield (sorry) but I see it's described as a "nanoceramic coating" or "nanocomposite film" and costs a fair bit.

I paid for "Diamond Coating" (Supra Clear Armour) on my C8 last Fall and so far it's beaded the water just great but I can't say yet about rock chips, having encountered no rocks. But years ago I had "Diamond Coating" done for a Mercedes windshield and it was great: many times on the highway I heard/saw a large rock impact the windshield and there was zero damage. It wasn't until a rock found the lowest edge/corner some 4 years after it was applied, that I got a crack which spread too quickly to fix so I had to replace the windshield. It had a 5-year warranty but the company who gave the warranty was out of business by then, so the dealer replaced the windshield for free due to the profit it made selling the original warranty and the representations it made to me 4 years earlier.

With this latest Diamond Coating, there's no warranty but if it works as well as the old stuff, it'll be well worth the $299 (all in) price I paid for it.

Finally, I'm told that all of these coatings wear off over time, much due to the windshield wipers slowly rubbing it off.

I look forward to someone chiming in about their experience with Exoshield.

No experience with exoshield. I use Diamon Fusion and have great success with it. Also great in the rain. Sheds water so well I seldom have to turn the wipers on. Have had several rock hits without a mark but after year 5, I did catch a big one off the bed of a concrete truck at _____kph which caused a crack. New windshield and new Diamon Fusion coating. I did a group buy from a distributor a couple years ago for forum members and saved 20 of us a bunch of money. Option is still there if anyone (20 members required) is interested and I can send the test data if anyone wants to have a look. PM me if there's any interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2KforeverC5
Yes, ceramic can be applied to the entire. I have it on the windshield now and don't need to use the wipers.
Exoshield and Ceramic are two different products:
Exoshield is like PPF, helps take the impact of a rock. Its laid on top of the windshield, like PPF.
Ceramic is hydrophobic coating that bonds with the paint to protect it.

Yes, ceramic can be applied to the entire. I have it on the windshield now and don't need to use the wipers.
Exoshield and Ceramic are two different products:
Exoshield is like PPF, helps take the impact of a rock. Its laid on top of the windshield, like PPF.
Ceramic is hydrophobic coating that bonds with the paint to protect it.
It’s amazing but it’s true. “ If what you thought is right all the time, you’ll never be wrong “ 😳. Cheers!!! 🥂😷😃

No experience with exoshield. I use Diamon Fusion and have great success with it. Also great in the rain. Sheds water so well I seldom have to turn the wipers on. Have had several rock hits without a mark but after year 5, I did catch a big one off the bed of a concrete truck at _____kph which caused a crack. New windshield and new Diamon Fusion coating. I did a group buy from a distributor a couple years ago for forum members and saved 20 of us a bunch of money. Option is still there if anyone (20 members required) is interested and I can send the test data if anyone wants to have a look. PM me if there's any interest.
I can vouch for the Diamon Fusion...sheds water really well.

It can and I had that applied to my windshield. Got a small rock chip on the drive home after having it done. I am considering getting film put on the car now.

So does RainX at ten bucks a bottle. LMAO.
You get what you pay for. DF at$100.00 for enough application to do two vehicles offers a lot more protection than just shedding water and lasts for several years. Ask the US army.
Do some research...Or not, and stick with cheap. You get what you pay for. :Biggrin:

Reactions: kerry4
You get what you pay for. DF at$100.00 for enough application to do two vehicles offers a lot more protection than just shedding water and lasts for several years. Ask the US army.
Do some research...Or not, and stick with cheap. You get what you pay for. :Biggrin:
I was just joking around. I'm going to look into PPF for the windshield. I had the whole car wrapped last year but didn't know about PPF for the windshield but they did do some treatment on all the glass. Guess it was some sort of ceramic coating or something but gut a very small chip on the drive home after picking it up. It's almost like they are making cheaper glass these days. I'll pay anything for protection against damage.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I was just joking around. I'm going to look into PPF for the windshield. I had the whole car wrapped last year but didn't know about PPF for the windshield but they did do some treatment on all the glass. Guess it was some sort of ceramic coating or something but gut a very small chip on the drive home after picking it up. It's almost like they are making cheaper glass these days. I'll pay anything for protection against damage.
No worries. The DF saved my windshield on both my Corvettes from the small sand pitting and from chips and cracks. Glass remains nice and clear and it showed no marks from the odd small stones that have flew up off someone's tires. Wasn't until I blew past a concrete truck that dropped a bunch of aggregate off his deck that I finally ended up with damage on my C7 glass after five years with the DF. No doubt PPF will protect from gravel better but it may get pitted from road debris and have to be replaced after a bit. I know there several hits on the PPF on my bumper. Here in AB, we have so many gravel roads that it ends up on our pavement and then flying up off someone's tires more often than not. Fine at 50 kph, not so good at 200...lol...

I can get a new (not chinese glass)windshield from Easy Auto Glass in Calgary for $750. So why spend the $700. It still wont take a “heater” from a dump truck hauling gravel.
Yes that’s the whole thing. Replacing windshields should be OEM. The originals are more heavier and chips are fixed to original that only you know where it was. BMW and Benz will recommend such replacements. 😳😄😷 Cheers 🥂

Yes that’s the whole thing. Replacing windshields should be OEM. The originals are more heavier and chips are fixed to original that only you know where it was. BMW and Benz will recommend such replacements. 😳😄😷 Cheers 🥂
To a point, I agree. If you're going through a windshield every year, you may as well go aftermarket. Lots of glass shops buy from the dealerships as well. Especially on new models that a cheap version is not available. When I replaced mine last year, I sweet talked my dealer parts department and got my OEM HUD for $900.00 (wholesale price). They are good that way. Got the same deal on my splitter. Windshield prices are going down all the time though. In 2015 when I considered getting glass insurance, a C7 glass was $2,300.00. I didn't get it when I read the fine print and they would only pay for an OEM if there wasn't a knock-off available. I was afraid that getting a Chinese after market HUD, I would end up with a DUH instead. :Biggrin:

• Haha
Reactions: OL Yeller
To a point, I agree. If you're going through a windshield every year, you may as well go aftermarket. Lots of glass shops buy from the dealerships as well. Especially on new models that a cheap version is not available. When I replaced mine last year, I sweet talked my dealer parts department and got my OEM HUD for $900.00 (wholesale price). They are good that way. Got the same deal on my splitter. Windshield prices are going down all the time though. In 2015 when I considered getting glass insurance, a C7 glass was $2,300.00. I didn't get it when I read the fine print and they would only pay for an OEM if there wasn't a knock-off available. I was afraid that getting a Chinese after market HUD, I would end up with a DUH instead. :Biggrin:
Good choice. I’d do the same when time comes. Just watch your distance with the vehicle ahead and try not to take it out first day of spring. Got chip fixed 3 years ago. No chip yet knock on wood. 😄🥂😷

Hey Morby,

Exoshield is essentially a PPF like material that is designed to bond to glass. Quite expensive so consider a few things here:
How often you drive your vehicle
Where you drive your vehicle
If it'll see any rain

With some of my customer's feedback that have ExoShield; They've complained about:
Wiper chatter: Wiper blades tend to bounch off the plastic material
Dirt around the edge: Like PreCut PPF; Dirt does tend to get underneath the edges of the material and eventually, down the road starts lifting.

Hey Morby,

Exoshield is essentially a PPF like material that is designed to bond to glass. Quite expensive so consider a few things here:
If it'll see any rain

With some of my customer's feedback that have ExoShield; They've complained about:
Dirt around the edge: Like PreCut PPF; Dirt does tend to get underneath the edges of the material and eventually, down the road starts lifting.
Try cleaning the blades with alcohol.

Hey Morby,

If it'll see any rain

Hey Toxix,

Yes, thanks for that. It was last Feb when I had it in for the Xpel treatment, that I got the Exoshield pitch but couldn't remember all of the "benefits". I started the thread way back then to hear if anybody had actual experience. JR (from JR's auto - installer) did mention possible windshield chatter. In the end, I opted out. I do have a knick the windshield now, which is noticeable on sunny days. 8000km later, still ok with that decision to opt out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread