what I used to do on a noisy V belt is while it is running just give a little spray shot of penetrating oil or belt dressing and it stops squealing instantly.. If it does it again later just shoot it again. Cause is belt is too hard or dry or just poor quality stuff.

Typically, if you have a squeak from the engine on the C5, it’s the harmonic balancer. When the car is idling, see if it’s wobbling at all. If it’s wobbling, the balancer is separating and the belt is squeaking from the wobble.
Mine had a squeak, I used lots of different dressings to stop it temporarily until I was going to replace the balancer. Still haven’t replaces the balancer, but installed a GoodYear Gatorback belt, and no more squeaking!
So, long story short, change to the gatorback belt and see if this fixes it.

Changing the balancer is a big job so I just replaced it when I had some engine work done.

Typically, if you have a squeak from the engine on the C5, it’s the harmonic balancer. When the car is idling, see if it’s wobbling at all. If it’s wobbling, the balancer is separating and the belt is squeaking from the wobble.
Mine had a squeak, I used lots of different dressings to stop it temporarily until I was going to replace the balancer. Still haven’t replaces the balancer, but installed a GoodYear Gatorback belt, and no more squeaking!
So, long story short, change to the gatorback belt and see if this fixes it.

I'm currently dealing with the squeal(more of a chirp really), and I changed out the belt with a brand new one from GM and the chirp was gone........for about a month! Now it's back, and the balancer does appear to have a slight wobble, so yay me.....I get to spend more money. This thing is gonna brake me!
All the repairs lately have been putting me in a bad mood and selling the car crosses my mind every now and then.......and then I go for a drive and those crazy thoughts go away.

Totally happens with these cars. The gatorback belt has repeatedly been pushed as the only one that eliminates the squeak. My balancer is wobbling and has been for at least 8 years now.... I bought an ATI super damper for my car which I left at a friends garage and it got lost.....goodbye $600 :( So, anyway, it appears I'll drive on the stock one until I can mod my car.

For sure. I went with the stock diameter, but in an aluminum version to save rotational weight. It totally sucks to have lost it, but I've moved twice since then, so I know it's not hiding somewhere around my property.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.