Jan 29, 2009
On planet Earth
VetteCoins
Car
Hi all,

Been more of a lurker of the last couple years. Sticker renewal time and I am informed by eh "Harper Harpies" that I have to do an emissions test for my sticker renewal. The car runs great and loves to be stomped on every now and then.

So my question is this - should I do anything to prep for the test (like study
lol.gif
)? I seem to recall someone once may have mentioned oil change. run it for an hour or so before going for the test.

Lastly, has anyone had their Vette tested at Richmond Hill Emissions Testing off of Oxford and Yonge?

Thanks,
Peace out - Pierre

I like to run fresh oil and Shell premium gas. I take the car for a 30-45 minute highway run to make sure that is fully up to temperature right before the test. Haven't failed ever....but that could change. I take it to a shop that does only emissions testing. No chance of conflict of interest by a shop that also does repairs. One time our Olds LSS came close to failing and the guy pointed out that it would be the EGR valve causing the problem. Changed it out and haven't had a problem since. Even our old '87 S-10 truck passed with flying colours the last time it had to be tested. A lot of city driving can cause problems. Apparently there are new emissions standards coming in that could cause some grief. I understand that the government makes a good pile of money from the tests but, for the testers, it is slim pickings. Isn't that always the way.:mad:

It's not Harper's work this time. It was Mike Harris and the Provincial Government of the time that came up with our original Drive Clean testing.
Liberals changed the testing method against advice and made it faster to do and even more trouble prone for false readings!

I took my 2000 Focus for these "new" tests. Just drove there as usual and had it done. Was about 2/3 the way to needing an oil change and it took about 10 minutes to get to the test centre. Car passed easily.

If an engine warning light is on they won't even start testing you as it makes an automatic failure.

The whole thing was a farce from the beginning and is a pretty complete mess now.

Sun News : Ontario's Drive Clean cleans out wallets

Grrrr.
Glad my Corvette is 1987 = exempt.
David

Last edited:
Prior to my etest I had the oil changed the year before, had headers, and high flow cats installed and a tune. As long as the car's computer is happy ... you are OK. (was I worried that the 'mods' would screw me up? you bet ...was I wrong? yep)

Took me 5 minutes to drive there so it doesn't seem to matter if the car is cold or hot. The garage has been around forever, not a specialty place by any means. It's nothing more than another ca$h grab by the government.

Last edited:
A money grab for sure. Another is the grab they put on people missing emissions parts, EGR, smog pump etc. It has never been legal to remove emissions equipment, but it has never been enforced until now, and just in certain areas. They do a visual on your car. Nothing has to work. It has to be on there. This includes a closed breather and heat stove if the car came with one. I got in touch with my MPP to find out what was going on with this. She gave me the phone number of the "Go To" MOE guy. I sent it to friends. One is a retired cop. He immediately phoned the guy. In 45 minutes of talking, he pigeon holed the guy on every single question. In the end, the guy had no clear answers. My conclusion is that it is a money grab too.

Recent changes to the system have meant that my regular guy at Active Green and Ross can't test my car since it's a '94 -- He can only do '98 and newer!
Have to go to a Drive Klean facility to git-er-done now.
I feel sorry for these guys who have so much money in this equipment and aren't making a penny on it.

Is this BS ever going to end? Email your MP folks....:canada:

C.

Went in this morning. Was a slam-dunk. Scanned the VIN bar-code; connected to the OBDII; started it up; waited for all the scanning to be completed and handed me over a pass report with no issues. Took all of 15 minutes and $40.

Emission Test Richmond Hill
300 Enford Road Unit 3
905-237-5356

Went in this morning. Was a slam-dunk. Scanned the VIN bar-code; connected to the OBDII; started it up; waited for all the scanning to be completed and handed me over a pass report with no issues. Took all of 15 minutes and $40.

Emission Test Richmond Hill
300 Enford Road Unit 3
905-237-5356

I hope mine is as easy on Tuesday.......glad to hear yours went well (and that it's only $40).

C.

:agree: After hearing all the potential issues and how it's causing a head ache for older cars, you guys can keep it! Although I'd rather you just got rid of it.:D

Glad to hear your car went through with flying colours Pierre! How did your test go Colin?

They say it passed with flying colours......I"ve got a readout of my test that I'll post later to compare to others.

With that certificate and my Safety Slip, off I went to the registry office to change ownership to my name. Thankfully that went off without a hitch. Phew!.

Emission Inspection report scan later.

Colin.

I vote for money grab also, I had my truck (2500Hd Diesel) done about 3 weeks ago and the test consisted of the guy watching the tailpipe for 5 mins for smoke. other than scan the vin, enter the license plate number and take a picture of the back of the truck there was no probe in the tailpipe and no OBDll connection

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.