Power User
Jun 26, 2014
Far East of Canada
VetteCoins
Car
Centennial coupe
Province
NL
Just read this article and it got me to thinking that a lot of us on here have older modern cars with all these computers scattered throughout. I remember reading a few postings on CCF from people trying to hunt down used modules only to find out they were VIN locked and the PITA that involves.

This is an interesting read and another resource for the modern day classics.

Are failed electronics no longer a vehicle's death sentence? - Hagerty Media

Six years ago the door locks on my C5 stopped working and when I removed the door panel I saw a control
module with a number of relays on it.
A quick Google search showed me which relay was for the lock and gave me the info I needed to order 2
on eBay for replacement.
They were very tiny and I was concerned about soldering such a small part to the board. I took it to
a local guy who repairs boards and for $20 he soldered it in while I waited. He told me he could pretty much repair
any board and that the components were generally easy to access.
When a friends A/C stopped working in his 1999 Olds Aurora we determined it was on the control board. A new one was
available for $3000, or a used one from the wrecking yard for $400, or $200 to have the board repaired by the guy
I had used.
So, my point is there definately is hope for early model electronic problems and in most cases they can be repaired.

Users who are viewing this thread