On the subject of strikes. I was in a union and I went on strike 3 times. I've also had to cross picket lines and it isn't fun. Holding people hostage for hours is not right. Stop them and talk to them about your complaints and goals, certainly. But not for hours. It should only take a couple of minutes, which is legal for that amount of time.

I dont know man .... just seems to me that was a bit of overkill
I don't disagree necessarily but something had to be done. The cops weren't doing anything and people were getting hurt. At least financially. Heck all of us were. Holding bridges hostage is tantamount to terrorism. I'm not law enforcer and I can only go by what I saw and what I saw wasn't right either.

I don't disagree necessarily but something had to be done. The cops weren't doing anything and people were getting hurt. At least financially. Heck all of us were. Holding bridges hostage is tantamount to terrorism. I'm not law enforcer and I can only go by what I saw and what I saw wasn't right either.
Dont get me wrong
I 100% agree that no one should get hurt physically or otherwise ... i'm just so uncomfortable with that emergencies act ... it grants so many powers to the government
that us as canadians, hurt or not , dont want them to have ... which is one reason I mentioned diplomacy isnt that what we elected them for ?

Still better than most places in the world.
Give it time....overwhelmed infrastructure due to improperly planned immigration. Health care services in decline. My friend was in emergency a few months ago in GTA and they couldn't get a room. There were many sick sitting in the hallways. Nurses were walking around asking sick patients if they had a DNR and if they didn't have one they could get one for them. There's corporate greed and an aversion to paying taxes. Corporations using money to manipulate our political systems. Political imbeciles making up ridiculous polices driven by their own personal interests....I agree with you, we are not as bad as other 3rd world countries but I think we are at the beginning of a bleak times for future generations...Now let's get back to driving our vettes ;)

tax.jpg

Not that I want it but the GST was originally 7%, then 6% then (and now) 5%.
Lo and behold! As I live in QC the Prov movement saw fit that we would keep on paying the same total amount despite the lower GST. So they upped the PST in sync with the lowered GST. How thoughtful. Wouldn't want your pockets to over burdened with excess cash.
Now what I wonder about is if IF the feds increase the GST to 6%, will the QC government reduce the PST? ROFL

On the subject of strikes. I was in a union and I went on strike 3 times. I've also had to cross picket lines and it isn't fun. Holding people hostage for hours is not right. Stop them and talk to them about your complaints and goals, certainly. But not for hours. It should only take a couple of minutes, which is legal for that amount of time.
Biggest union farse I heard was when my EX was working in a prov outpatient clinic. They were in negotiations with the gov at the time and the subject of vacation pay came up. The union said that although they received the usual vacation pay it was insufficient as they had to have the funds not only to go on vacation but also maintain their house while they were away, Plus the added expenses of eating in restaurants and staying in hotels. Hence they should ask for more vac pay. This was met with a fair amount of disbelief that the gov would pay more than the usual 4% (which the employees had contributed to). The union guy said no it was not illogical as they, the union, had that arrangement. And who pays the union dues?

Long story short was basically the union was greasing their own wheels.
My opinion of unions was somewhat lowered by their greed.

Biggest union farse I heard was when my EX was working in a prov outpatient clinic. They were in negotiations with the gov at the time and the subject of vacation pay came up. The union said that although they received the usual vacation pay it was insufficient as they had to have the funds not only to go on vacation but also maintain their house while they were away, Plus the added expenses of eating in restaurants and staying in hotels. Hence they should ask for more vac pay. This was met with a fair amount of disbelief that the gov would pay more than the usual 4% (which the employees had contributed to). The union guy said no it was not illogical as they, the union, had that arrangement. And who pays the union dues?

Long story short was basically the union was greasing their own wheels.
My opinion of unions was somewhat lowered by their greed.
You can't lump all unions into the same pot, but there certainly have been unions tied to gangsters etc.
Without unions we'd have a lot more sweatshops.
My union was legislated by the provincial government. They WANTED to bargain with a collective.

Users who are viewing this thread