CCO

Old Timer
Aug 5, 2011
Cambridge ON
VetteCoins
Car
2006 vert, 1994 vert
Off to Dasilva MotorSports again today this time for new EBC RED Brake Pads.

The dusting from the factory OEM's is too much for me. These promise to be less of a problem while still yielding excellent braking qualities.

Armed with a bed-in procedure, I will bed them in on the way home.

A good excuse for a little 'performance' driving. :D

C.

Some worthwhile reading. http://www.powerbrake.co.za/downloads/tech_02_bedin.pdf

In the Oshawa truck plant, we used the following equipment to stress relieve metals without heating them. It should work equally as well on disc brake rotors. Racers have used this equipment to stress relieve all kinds of race parts as well, including engine blocks. www.bonal.com

Last edited:
Colin,
to bad you can't bend over to clean your wheels !! [g].

what are the 'bed-in' instructions ??
Unless of course you are prepared to elaborate on 'performance' driving.[g]

Tony,
welland

LOL Tony, I try not to bend over for anything. Bad for the back. I bend the knees and crouch.

BTW, since we're keeping each other honest about spelling I must point out an error in your post. :D

EBC's instructions for Early Use-bedding in:

All EBC brake pads are supplied with a pink/red surface coating stamped with the words "Brake-in Coating". This mild abrasive coating is intended to de-glaze the brake rotor. and assist with fast bed-in of the new pads.

Drive carefully for the first 50 miles assessing the changed brake performance of your new brakes and allow extra distance for any braking needs until the pads become fully bedded and you have acquainted yourself with the stopping power of the vehicle.

During early use, it is quite normal for some brake noise to be observed. Brake squeal or a slight dragging sound from the Brake-In Coating is common and not a safety issue. Brake noise may continue up to 500 - 1000 miles on certain vehicles and is highly dependant on driving style and the rotor condition onto which the pads have been mounted.

Early brake noise is not a warrantable condition and drivers are requested not to contact EBC Brakes querying brake noise until the product has achieved these mileages.

After approximately 200 miles of urban use, using the brakes severely ONLY IN AN EMERGENCY, commence th final bed-in of the pads by decelerating from 60 mph to 20 mph at least 5 times on a quiet safe road environment.
Be careful of vehicles around you and behind you when undertaking this final bed-in.

EBC brake pads are a long lasting performance replacement and their true value and performance will only be realized after the pads have been used for 1000 miles in urban driving.

From another forum:

BED-IN Instructions:

1/ After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.

2/ Make and additional 2-3 hard stops from approximately 40-45 mph.

3/ Do not drag brakes!

4/ Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool.

5/ After step 4/ your new pads are ready for use.

After reading Keith's link on the subject and taking into account the EBC instructions, I'm leaning toward a moderate long term brake in that will help prevent metal shock.
Seems it will pay off in the long run and help prevent any noises and brake/disc problems.

Thanks Keith for the link.

-------and finally thanks to Manny for expert and prompt service. I'm hoping for at least a few weeks use to allow proper break in before "bedding" her down for the winter months. (yes Riley, a little diff - as you know.:D)

Colin.

Let me know how you like the "Reds", I have a set of "Yellows" that i need to install yet. Just curious on what your thoughts are.

Will do. My 'reds', they say, are more suited to just street use, yielding less dust and rotor wear, and your 'yellows' favour both track and street use and are more performance oriented.

Apparently patience is necessary with bedding these pads in since it takes time to make the proper material transfer and wear patterns.

On first use coming home, I'd say they brake fine and feel sure-footed, tho I avoided heavy braking for obvious reasons.
I have great expectations for these pads.

C.

Cool! Good to hear Colin. Next year I should replace my rotors and pads as I have a slight shake when braking. (Totally my fault for quickly braking from 85 mph to a dead stop and not letting the car roll trapping the heat on one part of the disc with the brakes applied, Whoops!) However, I was hoping to upgrade to C6Z51 rotors at the same time but can't afford the wheels to make this change...so, next year, I'll use your impression of the pads to see what I go with.

Pics Colin?

Red and yellow are awesome--I'd like red. Are these ceramic?

and by "performance driving", I think Colin might be getting back at Velocity Yellow rules by emulating his driving style......:rofl:

So Colin, what was your conclusion?

Are the Reds dust free?

Would the Yellows also be dust free if they offer better perfomance and are street/track use?

I can't imagine how GM would have built these cars, with these brakes and not have realized that even for the bargin price the cars are that having brake pads that are blowing dust all over the (mainly front due to heavier braking?) rims would not be a feature that owners would be bragging about.

Now since you've been such a good thread writer Colin, Riley is right and I need to ante up as well. Tell you what, when I come down to get my car I'll make sure that your brakes are properly bedded and I'll even do this at no cost (a la Manny for so many things he does - role model!).

Sometimes you just have to take one for the team and in your case Colin this rule certainly applies. Best to do it at night too I think that way I can judge by the degree of glowing if I'm on the right track.

Just glad to be of help is all.

Cheers,

Garry

So Colin, what was your conclusion?

Are the Reds dust free?

Would the Yellows also be dust free if they offer better perfomance and are street/track use?

I can't imagine how GM would have built these cars, with these brakes and not have realized that even for the bargin price the cars are that having brake pads that are blowing dust all over the (mainly front due to heavier braking?) rims would not be a feature that owners would be bragging about.

Now since you've been such a good thread writer Colin, Riley is right and I need to ante up as well. Tell you what, when I come down to get my car I'll make sure that your brakes are properly bedded and I'll even do this at no cost (a la Manny for so many things he does - role model!).

Sometimes you just have to take one for the team and in your case Colin this rule certainly applies. Best to do it at night too I think that way I can judge by the degree of glowing if I'm on the right track.

Just glad to be of help is all.

Cheers,

Garry

Too soon to give a conclusion Garry. I'm getting dust from the pads but as expected: They'll need time to seat in and for the bedding material to transfer onto the discs properly.
EBC suggests it could take up to 1500 kilometers to fully bed in and seat properly.

The braking effectiveness is at least equal to the OEM pads so I'm happy with that.
I won't know about dusting until much later on tho probably into next spring/summer.

I'm sure GM knows, as we do, that stopping, especially from very high speed is much more important than excessive dusting tho. Probably why they're not too concerned about it.

Pretty sure my brakes will be bedded in by the time you arrive but I'll keep your offer in mind just in case they're not and they need a little help.:D

C.

Is the install a DIY procedure for you? If not, how many hours is the job? One day, I want to get drilled rotors, and have red-calipers with ceramic pads.....That would make the Vossens look freaking Shweet.......

Is the install a DIY procedure for you? If not, how many hours is the job? One day, I want to get drilled rotors, and have red-calipers with ceramic pads.....That would make the Vossens look freaking Shweet.......

Install is fairly simple with a few odd tools if it's like other late models which I have done.
Install was about an hour for Manny and his crew but he has the experience and the hoists and all , so I'd expect to spend more like 2-3 hours at home.

I have noticed that the initial dusting is slowing somewhat as is the squeaking that was predicted. The actual braking is predictably sharp just as I like it.

So far so good -- I really like these brakes -- they have a feel of excellent performance.

C.

Sounds COOL.... can you get them in dark charcoal or black? (I hate bright colored calipers and or pads... too Tuner car )

You do realize that you can hardly see the colour do you..........since they sit deep inside the calliper.

If you're that concerned about colour then get black. They're called Unimax and for general use. Heck you could even get reds, yellows, blues for the correct application and paint the things black if you're that worried about appearing "tuner".

From my experience, pads and the cladding/holders will gradually go black with the buildup of carbon/material dusting and heat cycling so it won't matter a hoot what colour they are.

Here: have a look at their site. You may find an application you like. (or colour if that's what you want).

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/index.shtml

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread