Here you go Jeff.... Won't fit under the Christmas tree though.....

workhorse-surefly-personal-helicopter-paris-airshow-5.jpg

thought Dennis might comment on whether this is an ok drone for pictures and general flying for a newbie after some practice with junk drones or beginner drones. Jeff
Sorry I took so long, but I had to look this one up and do some research on it. My DJI is my 5th drone and also the first one with GPS. This is very important to have plus return to home. The one you are looking at looks good and has a lot of features that are required to make flying it successful.
After a large learning curve of flying it indoors (this is best to do when the wife is not home) I learned in a manual mode as to understand what it does and mostly what not to do. The most fun was flying it out of sight into the wind, then waiting for it to return. Drones are very easy to fly out of sight and this is the most scary and dangerous thing to ever do. These blades will do a lot of damage to people, places and things. (mildly put).
The features of the Q500 are very good, with having the ability to find and hold a minimum number of satellites plus RTH (return to home), follow me and many more features. When the quad goes out of sight (and it will), you can bring it home and it will land where you want. GPS is a must and this has it as well. The camera and gimbal are high quality for this dollar value.
Don't think you can go wrong with this.
I would highly recommend buying the $80. one and practicing with it first, learn, fly it out of sight (just to scare the crap out of you) by accident, crash it and start all over.
Enjoy it, as they are a lot of fun.
Dennis

Hey Jeff,

I hope I'm not too late on this, but I just saw this thread and wanted to offer another bit of input. The Yuneec stuff is excellent, high quality equipment, but it is also intended for excellent, highly experienced pilots. As already mentioned, the crashes on a unit like this are very expensive and can also do a lot of damage.

Take a serious look at a DJI Spark. It is a tiny form factor which makes it easier to fly indoors or out. It has a 1080p camera, so the picture quality is excellent, and the gimbal control is internally dampened with a suspension. It is actually a lot smoother than people tend to expect. It is light and has prop guards, so even if you could hit someone or something with it, it will bounce off the bumpers instead of hitting the blades. It also has collision avoidance, so it won't just fly into an object that is in the way, even if you ask it to. GPS, active tracking, and programmable flight paths are just some of the excellent options. This or the Mavic is going to be my next drone purchase, and I'm actually leaning toward the Spark.

Another very important thing to keep in mind when choosing your drone is where do you want to use it? The bigger drones scare people and can do a lot of damage, and there are many places where you are not allowed to fly them already. These smaller units fall into a different category of drone because they are smaller and lighter and can be exempt from some of the drone regulations.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing what you choose.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
thanks never to late,
I thought collision avoidance was telling your wife to get the expenditure approved first ha-ha

still getting one but I agree as a novice what to get and what is a mavic

Jeff

DJI mavic is decent ... but good to have a newer smart phone for the video it is taking.

but many have crashed mavics.

Best to know your $800 - 1200 purchase can be in bits and pieces.

one thing about the one I had/have... when the crazy wind happened at Abraham Lake and took it away and hit the side of a mountain, I fixed it for under $200

I would NOT buy a DJI Spart as it only has a 2 axis gimbal... that would mean back and forth movement in your videos

Mavis is 3 axis..... meaning stabilizes up and down, side to side and tilt for smoother videos.

Spark would be fine for pictures.

B

Get DJI care ( you order it when new or within 48 hours of your first flight ) if you buy a DJI one..... if you crash they will fix it for free...... think it is $99.00 maybe

Yuneec doesn't have that.... it does decent video and flies ok but I wouldn't buy one as if you crash it -- it is done.

OH, Mavic is on sale now at Best Buy and other places...... sale ends TODAY!!!

DJI MAVIC PRO Foldable Quadcopter Drone with 4K UHD Camera & Controller - Ready-to-Fly - Black

$300 off the combo

DJI Mavic Pro Quadcopter Drone with 4K UHD Camera & Controller Fly More Bundle

B

Last edited:
Everybody has their own opinions, and you just need to decide which ones are most important to your own personal wants and needs. Check out some videos on YouTube of what each drone can do, as it will help you to make a decision.

In my personal opinion, I think the Spark is the best choice for a starter drone. It has all of the same major features as the Mavic, and is a more sturdy and stronger platform design. This is important for when (not if) you crash it. The Mavic is larger, and the folding arms (more moving parts and more expensive to replace) are longer with thinner material - easier to break.

For a novice, you can get the Spark for about $499 (add $200 if you want the controller and an extra battery) and is ready to fly with a smartphone. If you prefer the Mavic, you are looking around $1199 with the controller. The difference in price is pretty significant, but the difference in capabilities is a much smaller margin. If you are an experienced and confident drone pilot and absolutely uncompromising on the features you want (like Brian), then go ahead and spend the money on the Mavic. If you are just getting into this stuff and want something that is easy to fly, and more forgiving to mistakes and errors (crashing), but still has excellent quality, then the Spark will not disappoint.

Last edited:
Actually something important to note, and I did edit my first post to correct it, but I don't expect anyone who has already read it to notice. Although the CCD on the Spark is only slightly less than the camera in the Mavic, it does in fact shoot video in 1080p and not actually 4k. My mistake on that one. Don't knock it too much though. Just because 4k is the new excitement in HD, 1080p is excellent as well. In fact, unless you have updated your computer screens (or smart devices) recently, you are probably only able to view in 1080p anyway.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.