Oct 13, 2011
Ancaster, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2004 convertible
Last year I talked about it and promptly forgot to go.

Not this year, looks like another great event at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum

Warplane_DragStrip_Web.jpg

DSC_4430-L.jpg

Dragstrip Memories event on April 13, 2014 at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum

I was really lucky when I was a kid. My buddy Bert Fletcher had an older Brother-in-law, Brooke DeShaw who was a pretty good drag racer back in the 60's. He owned a 63 Impala that was originally sponsored by Park Lane Motors in Sarnia, Ontario. The car was a record holder in F/S. He then bought the Miller and Gregory 23T that ran as BB/A and B/A. Brooke ran the car naturally aspirated in B/A and was sponsored by Performance Improvements,. The front mounted blower went to the Brown Brothers Fiat. Brooke raced the car out of the Roadmates Club in Mississauga. Both of Brooke's sons are trying to locate this car, last known to be in the Orillia area as a street rod. The Miller and Gregory Fiat which came after the T is still actively raced.

Brooke often took us to the races with him, he was a very patient man! Nothing like being 14 years old and pumping up fuel pressure in the race car on the starting line then getting to drive the push car. No one ever asked us if we even had a licence. I am forever grateful to Brooke (RIP) for getting me interested in this car culture.

So yes this show is a must see for me. Again thank you for posting the information.

I was really lucky when I was a kid. My buddy Bert Fletcher had an older Brother-in-law, Brooke DeShaw who was a pretty good drag racer back in the 60's. He owned a 63 Impala that was originally sponsored by Park Lane Motors in Sarnia, Ontario. The car was a record holder in F/S. He then bought the Miller and Gregory 23T that ran as BB/A and B/A. Brooke ran the car naturally aspirated in B/A and was sponsored by Performance Improvements,. The front mounted blower went to the Brown Brothers Fiat. Brooke raced the car out of the Roadmates Club in Mississauga. Both of Brooke's sons are trying to locate this car, last known to be in the Orillia area as a street rod. The Miller and Gregory Fiat which came after the T is still actively raced.

Brooke often took us to the races with him, he was a very patient man! Nothing like being 14 years old and pumping up fuel pressure in the race car on the starting line then getting to drive the push car. No one ever asked us if we even had a licence. I am forever grateful to Brooke (RIP) for getting me interested in this car culture.

So yes this show is a must see for me. Again thank you for posting the information.

murray, if i'm not mistaken, was'nt it the brown brother's topolino that won some national events in the states ?

Being closeby for a lot of us, you'll find many local members there and we would love to meet members from afar.
Hope you can arrange the trip and maybe convoy down for the show.

There are many local shows going on in the spring -- as there are up your way -- We're hoping to make some of those too.

C.

murray, if i'm not mistaken, was'nt it the brown brother's topolino that won some national events in the states ?

Doug, I know that the Fiat was a pretty competitive car but I am not sure of it competition history. I recall that the Brothers sold this car and never saw or heard of it again. They had no idea where it went. I guess in those days they did not care, it was on to the next racer.

On a side note, Brooke used to travel with a fellow by the name of Bruce Wilkes who was a mechanic for Ryder Machinery. Bruce raced a B/SR Model A with an injected 327. From what I have been told Bruce lives in your area and still owns the car although the last word was the car had been apart for many years.

Colin, that would be great if we could get together at this event. It would be nice to meet some of the other folks from the site.

Doug, I know that the Fiat was a pretty competitive car but I am not sure of it competition history. I recall that the Brothers sold this car and never saw or heard of it again. They had no idea where it went. I guess in those days they did not care, it was on to the next racer.

On a side note, Brooke used to travel with a fellow by the name of Bruce Wilkes who was a mechanic for Ryder Machinery. Bruce raced a B/SR Model A with an injected 327. From what I have been told Bruce lives in your area and still owns the car although the last word was the car had been apart for many years.

Colin, that would be great if we could get together at this event. It would be nice to meet some of the other folks from the site.

You bet Murray ... will be great to hook up.
Have you considered going to the auto show in Feb.? There will be a bunch of us there too on the 19th. -- See FordPrefect's (Wayne's) thread in this forum.

Cheers,
Colin.

a few pics from the event:

Beautiful day, high of 22c, got to put the top down for the first time this year (on the way home)

IMG_5004-X2.jpg

Couldn't help but notice how similar the backup lights are to the C5s.

IMG_5005-X2.jpg

Now on to the real stars of the show.

IMG_5009-X2.jpg

IMG_5010-X2.jpg

IMG_5039-X2.jpg

IMG_5021-X2.jpg

IMG_5085-X2.jpg

IMG_5041-X2.jpg

IMG_5105-X2.jpg

The last photo is of one of the many pictures that were up on display. It was an Olds owned and raced by Ken Packham, at the time he was working at Carter Chevrolet. It was Ken who sold me my first performance car, a '69 Z28. Ken also owned Ancaster Speed and Custom which was located right in the old village of ancaster. Small world indeed.

IMG_5079-X2.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.