Still no news, from GM Canada, about the broken gimbal. They fixed it the first week of November. I do not get it, this is simple , it is under warranty so pay the dealership what they are owed and give me peace of mine, for this! The fact that I was drag racing , should not affect the warranty. I take off at green lights just as hard , so it could of happened right on a street/highway/road.

Believe it or not, I just got the answer today, about my gimbal. GM will not pay for it. Imagine , 5 months wait, to tell me they are ripping me off. 1340$ for a gimbal repair. I will take this to small claims for sure. They tell us go race/drag no problem. They even tell us how to do it in our Vettes and if we break it , not our problem, even under warranty.

Believe it or not, I just got the answer today, about my gimbal. GM will not pay for it. Imagine , 5 months wait, to tell me they are ripping me off. 1340$ for a gimbal repair. I will take this to small claims for sure. They tell us go race/drag no problem. They even tell us how to do it in our Vettes and if we break it , not our problem, even under warranty.
That's not good Wlgj....Question...What's a gimbal?

That's not good Wlgj....Question...What's2 a gimbal?
Its a part/arms that attaches to the transmission, that makes the rear wheels turn. I am trying to find pictures but I am getting different responses. French word is Cardan.

My guess is we’re talking about a CVJ….( constant velocity joint) on one of the axle shafts. Not sure why it would not be covered by warranty.. I’d be arguing that one. It’s part of the power train.

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller

That's not good Wlgj....Question...What's2 a gimbal?

My guess is we’re talking about a CVJ….( constant velocity joint) on one of the axle shafts. Not sure why it would not be covered by warranty.. I’d be arguing that one. It’s part of the power train.
Dealer said yes but GM said no, so small claims courts, here I come.

Dealer said yes but GM said no, so small claims courts, here I come.
Genuinely sorry to hear that GM won't come good for the problem.

I'm extremely disappointed with their constant refusals to cover legitimate / known failures and for their inability to maintain reasonable parts availability for their entire line of vehicles. So much so that these situations have negatively affected my decision to move forward with the purchase of a C8.

As I said earlier in this thread, there are no true "Gimbal" bearings in the C7 driveline and, at this point, I'm unsure of which component actually failed. If you could provide the part number from the work order / invoice we should be able to identify the part.

Best of luck.

I'm extremely disappointed with their constant refusals to cover legitimate / known failures and for their inability to maintain reasonable parts availability for their entire line of vehicles. So much so that these situations have negatively affected my decision to move forward with the purchase of a C8.

As I said earlier in this thread, there are no true "Gimbal" bearings in the C7 driveline and, at this point, I'm unsure of which component actually failed. If you could provide the part number from the work order / invoice we should be able to identify the part.

Best of luck.
GM says I modified the Vette , so they do not pay. I only added drag radials. The original tires do not stick to the road or tracks , because they are cheap. What are we supposed to do , hit the walls , other cars! They say safety first, with the drag radials , I had no problem with the backend swerving etc. It stuck. I put those tires on , on all my cars , for summer and autumn.

Piece-Cardan-arriere-droit-(transmission)-CHEVROLET-CORVETTE-C5-COUPE-Essence-3335cb1f41a34d38...jpg
goma-de-barra-cardan-corvette-97-10-D_NQ_NP_708195-MLM31222479674_062019-F.jpg

Those 2 photos are what comes out , when you say a gimbal/cardan.
Rocket Rob was correct with his assessment of the CV joint being the culprit. What you've posted is a photo of the rear axle half shaft, which incorporates the CV joint, and the shaft coupler. That solves the mystery, there are no "Gimbal" bearings associated with this assembly.

As for drag radials being considered a "modification" and the reason for GM denying warranty coverage - I hate to say this but they are probably on solid ground from a legal standpoint. Believe me, I have no sympathy for GM as I firmly believe that they put profit far above customer satisfaction / support and have little, if any, consideration for owners of their products. "Good Will" is not a phrase that appears often in their vocabulary. However, in this case, the addition of drag radials does increase the traction substantially, and, subsequently, the load placed on the driveline. They will argue that the increased load is beyond what the car was designed to handle in stock form and, as such, that is what caused the failure. Whether or not that was the actual cause is likely irrelevant. The fact that the drag radials constituted a "modification" is probably enough for GM to succeed in a small claims action.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear but it is, in my opinion, the likely outcome.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Rocket Rob was correct with his assessment of the CV joint being the culprit. What you've posted is a photo of the rear axle half shaft, which incorporates the CV joint, and the shaft coupler. That solves the mystery, there are no "Gimbal" bearings associated with this assembly.

As for drag radials being considered a "modification" and the reason for GM denying warranty coverage - I hate to say this but they are probably on solid ground from a legal standpoint. Believe me, I have no sympathy for GM as I firmly believe that they put profit far above customer satisfaction / support and have little, if any, consideration for owners of their products. "Good Will" is not a phrase that appears often in their vocabulary. However, in this case, the addition of drag radials does increase the traction substantially, and, subsequently, the load placed on the driveline. They will argue that the increased load is beyond what the car was designed to handle in stock form and, as such, that is what caused the failure. Whether or not that was the actual cause is likely irrelevant. The fact that the drag radials constituted a "modification" is probably enough for GM to succeed in a small claims action.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear but it is, in my opinion, the likely outcome.
Still taking them , no matter what. I put these tires on all my vehicles , even my 2016 C7 Convertible 3lt which I drag raced with, no problems. This was a Z51, which should of had stronger parts, to race but that must be bull.... by GM. The point I will make is they give us ways to do it , in the owners manual, and on the internet etc. but if you break it , your problem.!!!! This C7 had only 5600kms and in Quebec we have laws , that say, cars, furniture, stoves, etc. have to have a certain amount of wear/years even if the warranty has expired , that they should not break. I appreciate your opinion, I hope your wrong but I know it is a crap shoot. It depends on the judge, if he is clueless about cars I am done but if he respects the Quebec laws and warranty I have a shot.

Try to avoid the term 'drag radials'. They are summer aftermarket tires sold for any car on the road. Do you have to check with GM for every common maintenance item. Did GM gives you a list of approved tires, windshield washer fluid, headlight bulbs, types of wax? If certain legal, commonly sold and used by the public items jeopardize the warranty on a vehicle perhaps the manufacturer should emphasize this in the owners manual. Worth trying....

Reactions: wlgj
Try to avoid the term 'drag radials'. They are summer aftermarket tires sold for any car on the road. Do you have to check with GM for every common maintenance item. Did GM gives you a list of approved tires, windshield washer fluid, headlight bulbs, types of wax? If certain legal, commonly sold and used by the public items jeopardize the warranty on a vehicle perhaps the manufacturer should emphasize this in the owners manual. Worth trying....
I agree with your , avoid drag radial name. My new 2023 C8 has those summer tires , that stick as much as my drag radials. GM does this all the time, unlike Ford. My Mustangs went drag racing with a tune and drag radials and they never said nothing about not respecting the warranty. They even have drag events in Napierville, every summer for Mustangs only , with prizes.

Best of luck.
I will be going to the dealership Thursday and be receiving my receipt, after I pay. Will scan and post the bill, when I get a chance.

I will be going to the dealership Thursday and be receiving my receipt, after I pay. Will scan and post the bill, when I get a chance.
It' okay wigj, I already identified the parts based on the photos that you supplied. See post #31.

Very best of luck with your fight with GM.

Reactions: wlgj
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread