Went drag racing, with my C7, yesterday and something gave. I heard a crunch, then the car just rolled to a stop. When I went to put the car, into park , I heard a grinding noise. :Confused5: Now I am thinking the differential but someone said a gimbal. Just hoping it is not the trans. Any mechanics out there with a theory at least? I was told the diff is inside the trans:oops:. I hope not but if yes that is going to cost:Banghead: ? I will call tomorrow to see if this 2017 is still under warranty. If not , this Vette has only 5500 kms. I wonder if I can get them to pay for the repairs. Certain laws in Quebec say warranties are sometimes not adequate , with realities.

Went drag racing, with my C7, yesterday and something gave. I heard a crunch, then the car just rolled to a stop. When I went to put the car, into park , I heard a grinding noise. :Confused5: Now I am thinking the differential but someone said a gimbal. Just hoping it is not the trans. Any mechanics out there with a theory at least? I was told the diff is inside the trans:oops:. I hope not but if yes that is going to cost:Banghead: ? I will call tomorrow to see if this 2017 is still under warranty. If not , this Vette has only 5500 kms. I wonder if I can get them to pay for the repairs. Certain laws in Quebec say warranties are sometimes not adequate , with realities.
You have 5 years power train. Gotta be getting close to that.

Genuinely sorry to hear of this driveline failure.

Based on your description it's extremely difficult to pinpoint the problem. I will offer some information to answer a few of your concerns.

I don't know of any gimbal bearings within the driveline but there are front and rear carrier bearings on the shafts within torque tube assembly. Not likely to be one of those as the mechanical noise would be excessive and constant and would not be caused by shifting into "park". I would not, however, rule out a torque tube or flex plate failure but it's really hard to say.

The transmission and differential are separate units so a failure in one would not likely affect the other.

As has been stated, the 5 year Powertrain Warranty should cover this type of failure if it is still in effect.

Best of luck
Ross

Last edited:
Reactions: wlgj
Were you using launch control, on the street or a track? Regardless this sounds like the diff grenaded. The dealership/GM is going to do everything it can to say this on you, and your were "abusing" the car so they don't have to pay out. Including running all the computer history to see exactly what the car was doing before during and after this happened. Keep us posted

Last edited:
One good news , it is still under warranty. This 2017, was bought June 2018, so the warranty expires June 2023. I was using track. As for the blame game, if they try to blame me, I will cancel my 2 orders with them and then take them to small claims court , if need be. All I did was floor the pedal , yes it did spin , a little but this should not happen with a car that has , only, 5442 kms! I did, way worst than tha, with all my Mustangs GT and never broke anything on them.

Reactions: Movie Muscle
One good news , it is still under warranty. This 2017, was bought June 2018, so the warranty expires June 2023. I was using track. As for the blame game, if they try to blame me, I will cancel my 2 orders with them and then take them to small claims court , if need be. All I did was floor the pedal , yes it did spin , a little but this should not happen with a car that has , only, 5442 kms! I did, way worst than tha, with all my Mustangs GT and never broke anything on them.
These cars are built for track and spirited driving. Why would they design a launch control and apply it to a car they did not expect the buyer to use. Duh.... You were not abusing your car, you were driving it in a manner it was designed for. Don't take no for an answer. JMO

If you had launch control on and the drag strip track was “prepped” , did you get any “bunny hopping”? If yes and you didn’t back off the throttle this could have caused major issues.
I don’t think the dealer will care if you cancel new orders with them. Also small claims court against their computer data and your admission to an off road “drag racing” will likely not bare fruit.
but good luck and hopefully the issues will be small and taken care.
this is an interesting scenario that many of us are keen to see unfold.
please update the forum, regardless of how it turns out.

GM designed and approved the C7 with track use in mind right from the start. There are a number of references to using the car under track conditions in the Owner's Manual and the preparations necessary to do so. One specific example is that Mobil 1 15W-50 oil must be used when tracking the car but must be changed back to 5W-30 for street use. This applied to MY's 2014 to 2018. When the 2019 MY was released, it was factory filled with Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 and GM's indication was that this oil could be used in all C7's for both street and track use. Other things like the Stage III aero package, launch control and the included add-on front brake cooling ducts (GS and Z06) clearly indicate GM's intention for using the C7 on the track.

Here's an excerpt from a response to a question posed to Tadge Juechter, Chief Engineer for Cadillac XLR and Chevrolet Corvette, regarding the use of the two viscosities of oil for track use and its effect on the factory warranty:

"GM Propulsion Systems has validated all Corvette engines to operate with the DEXOS 5W30 for all but the most extreme track conditions. We recommend the use of Mobil 1 15W50 when the vehicle is going to be used for high temperature track operation as the higher viscosity range provides a greater degree of protection under the extreme stresses of that duty cycle. We like the extra lube performance in those conditions because, unlike some other manufacturers, driving on the track does not automatically void the warranty. However, daily driving use of the Mobil 1 15W50 on the street has not been validated, and as such we do not recommend its use where the operating temperatures can run lower. Some contributors to the thread correctly point out that few Corvette drivers operate their vehicles at extremely low temperatures, but as the manufacturer, we have to protect for that possibility. Another issue is that the 15w50 oil has higher phosphorous and ash content than we specify for factory fill. That is ok for track usage, but in long term street usage, those chemicals can compromise catalyst performance. As the manufacturer, we are expected to meet EPA emissions for a very long time. Lastly, the higher viscosity will also result in a small loss of fuel efficiency.

As for the Mobil 1 0W40, it was not available when we validated these engines and, in its currently available formulation, it also contains more phosphorous and ash than we specify. So, even if we validated the 0W40 for track use, we would still have to recommend reverting to a DEXOS 5W30 for daily street use.

Like all aspects of the auto industry, lubricants continue to improve over time. We work with Mobil and others to elevate the performance of their products and hence ours. We will continue to do that and when we have a better oil to ship in our engines or recommend for use on the track, we will do so."

These statements clearly indicate GM's approval of track use for the C7 and the fact that doing so does not "automatically" invalidate the warranty. Please note that the above was written prior to GM approving Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 for both street and track use, not that it matters in this case.

What I take from this is that the OP's car can be tracked, drag or road racing, and the factory warranty should be honored as long as the factory service schedule was followed. Engine oil should not be a factor in this case, but transmission and differential fluids may be. Invoices / receipts may also be required in order to prove that the necessary servicing was done but, other than that, I see no reason why GM should deny warranty coverage of a driveline failure while the factory Powertrain Warranty is in effect.

Best regards
Ross

These cars are built for track and spirited driving. Why would they design a launch control and apply it to a car they did not expect the buyer to use. Duh.... You were not abusing your car, you were driving it in a manner it was designed for. Don't take no for an answer. JMO
Exactly , if they did not want us to use them this way , they should not put the tools to drag race in the car itself. This was going to happen , anyway because it did not happen during a burn out but at the the take off line. I do that continually at lights , floor it.

If you had launch control on and the drag strip track was “prepped” , did you get any “bunny hopping”? If yes and you didn’t back off the throttle this could have caused major issues.
I don’t think the dealer will care if you cancel new orders with them. Also small claims court against their computer data and your admission to an off road “drag racing” will likely not bare fruit.
but good luck and hopefully the issues will be small and taken care.
this is an interesting scenario that many of us are keen to see unfold.
please update the forum, regardless of how it turns out.
It never hopped , it never had the chance because it broke almost right off the line. These cares have drag stip tools built in , if they did not want us to use them for that , do not give us the tools , then.

It never hopped , it never had the chance because it broke almost right off the line. These cares have drag stip tools built in , if they did not want us to use them for that , do not give us the tools , then.
GTR owners found that the hard when when they first came out but I agree with you

Reactions: wlgj
GM designed and approved the C7 with track use in mind right from the start. There are a number of references to using the car under track conditions in the Owner's Manual and the preparations necessary to do so. One specific example is that Mobil 1 15W-50 oil must be used when tracking the car but must be changed back to 5W-30 for street use. This applied to MY's 2014 to 2018. When the 2019 MY was released, it was factory filled with Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 and GM's indication was that this oil could be used in all C7's for both street and track use. Other things like the Stage III aero package, launch control and the included add-on front brake cooling ducts (GS and Z06) clearly indicate GM's intention for using the C7 on the track.

Here's an excerpt from a response to a question posed to Tadge Juechter, Chief Engineer for Cadillac XLR and Chevrolet Corvette, regarding the use of the two viscosities of oil for track use and its effect on the factory warranty:

"GM Propulsion Systems has validated all Corvette engines to operate with the DEXOS 5W30 for all but the most extreme track conditions. We recommend the use of Mobil 1 15W50 when the vehicle is going to be used for high temperature track operation as the higher viscosity range provides a greater degree of protection under the extreme stresses of that duty cycle. We like the extra lube performance in those conditions because, unlike some other manufacturers, driving on the track does not automatically void the warranty. However, daily driving use of the Mobil 1 15W50 on the street has not been validated, and as such we do not recommend its use where the operating temperatures can run lower. Some contributors to the thread correctly point out that few Corvette drivers operate their vehicles at extremely low temperatures, but as the manufacturer, we have to protect for that possibility. Another issue is that the 15w50 oil has higher phosphorous and ash content than we specify for factory fill. That is ok for track usage, but in long term street usage, those chemicals can compromise catalyst performance. As the manufacturer, we are expected to meet EPA emissions for a very long time. Lastly, the higher viscosity will also result in a small loss of fuel efficiency.

As for the Mobil 1 0W40, it was not available when we validated these engines and, in its currently available formulation, it also contains more phosphorous and ash than we specify. So, even if we validated the 0W40 for track use, we would still have to recommend reverting to a DEXOS 5W30 for daily street use.

Like all aspects of the auto industry, lubricants continue to improve over time. We work with Mobil and others to elevate the performance of their products and hence ours. We will continue to do that and when we have a better oil to ship in our engines or recommend for use on the track, we will do so."

These statements clearly indicate GM's approval of track use for the C7 and the fact that doing so does not "automatically" invalidate the warranty. Please note that the above was written prior to GM approving Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 for both street and track use, not that it matters in this case.

What I take from this is that the OP's car can be tracked, drag or road racing, and the factory warranty should be honored as long as the factory service schedule was followed. Engine oil should not be a factor in this case, but transmission and differential fluids may be. Invoices / receipts may also be required in order to prove that the necessary servicing was done but, other than that, I see no reason why GM should deny warranty coverage of a driveline failure while the factory Powertrain Warranty is in effect.

Best regards
Ross
Thank you very much for this article. If they give me any trouble I will show this to them.

GTR owners found that the hard when when they first came out but I agree with you
GTR that is a Nissan right? I had a 350z , in the past and they said it was covered bumper to bumper for 3 years but they meant just the bumpers! Worst customer service ever from Nissan. I told them I would never buy a car from them ever again and that I would buy a horse before their vehicles.

Best regards
Ross
Thank you for providing authoritative GM Engineering insight on this matter. This will definitely help if dealer push back ever occurs... :)

No news yet. Still waiting on GM Canada if they will pay. They must of mailed it by Canada post. ;) They should of answered by now. They know , since Wednesday that its a gimbal. So no damage to the trans or diff. they say , for now. They have put a rush order for the part and my car should be ready by Tuesday , hopefully.

Were you using launch control, on the street or a track? Regardless this sounds like the diff grenaded. The dealership/GM is going to do everything it can to say this on you, and your were "abusing" the car so they don't have to pay out. Including running all the computer history to see exactly what the car was doing before during and after this happened. Keep us posted
Reminds me of the one time this walnut at the dealership threatened to void any warranty work on my transmission flush (which was a mandatory TSB from GM) if they find any trace of me "abusing" my car. I just said okay whatever, the car was under warranty from all angles there's no way they can fight me on anything. Anyway what the hell do they define as "abuse"? I drove and accelerated fast in a fast track car? Give me a break.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day and wlgj
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread