Feb 1, 2013
Cambridge Ont
VetteCoins
Car
2009 Silver Coupe
Yesterday I was looking over a 2009 coupe and I noticed that the trailing edges of the doors weren't flush with the rest of the body of the car.They were maybe 3/16" proud. It was only the bottom as the area at the handles were flush. As a newcomer to looking at fibreglass bodied cars is this something to be aware of or just normal for the type? There were a couple of Z06's in the dealership too and their doors were proud too just not to the same extent. I have read that the tolerances and body gaps with fibregalass cars is a bit looser and I only have experience in steel bodied cars so I would welcome any and all opinions.

Yesterday I was looking over a 2009 coupe and I noticed that the trailing edges of the doors weren't flush with the rest of the body of the car.They were maybe 3/16" proud. It was only the bottom as the area at the handles were flush. As a newcomer to looking at fibreglass bodied cars is this something to be aware of or just normal for the type? There were a couple of Z06's in the dealership too and their doors were proud too just not to the same extent. I have read that the tolerances and body gaps with fibregalass cars is a bit looser and I only have experience in steel bodied cars so I would welcome any and all opinions.

I think this is more common that not. Mine was like that as well, but these can be adjusted using the door bolts, and also the bottom bolt of the front fender. I did it, and now the door to front fender is flush at the bottom.

Mine too are slightly proud. I've seen many like it. I'll get to it some time myself. I don't trust the dealer enough to adjust well enough for my taste. I've already got a trunk lid that's out of alignment from a hinge recall last year.:(
I'll adjust that myself too this summer.

C.

I have read that the tolerances and body gaps with fibreglass cars is a bit looser and I only have experience in steel bodied cars so I would welcome any and all opinions.[/QUOTE]

My car is Fibre glass?? :eek:

To prevent sand blasting of the leading edges, you want the back of the fender proud of the door and the trailing edge of the door proud of the quarter panel. You have it the other way around, especially at the bottom, and your paint won't last too long on those leading edges. It doesn't have to be so much that you can see it ten feet away but just a little that would hardly be noticed up close. 3/16" is a mile too much. 1/32" would probably do the job just fine and you wouldn't see it.
I have never checked with a straight edge to see if our car is adjusted this way but everything looks pretty even with no sand blasting.

Thanks Keith. I work in an auto assembly plant so I knew of the need for the doors to be a little proud for the reasons you stated. They just seemed a little more than I am used to seeing on the car I looked at.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.