AllFlash

Power User
Jul 25, 2014
Niagara
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Z06
Ok so we took a bunch of pictures today and the car got robbed by too much shade so I am forcing myself to learn photoshop.... more specifically, the ability to change the exposure on objects within a picture.

Opinions on this picture??? I will give you the before and after...

Original Shot.jpg

On the mid-shot, I actually lightened the Z06 for highlight and darkened the background.

Midway.jpg

Finally, I lightened the plane and pulled the picture in for a better shot...at least I think.

IMG_0419 Fixed1.jpg

Last edited:
Les having never used PhotoShop I'am not sure of what you can do to improve the shots. However I agree that the third picture is the best of the three. Would a fill flash work on your Canon for something like that? Difficult shot with the wing keeping the car in the shade. What area of the picture is the camera trying to get the aperture and or shutter speed from. I think you can lock it in to different spots.

In any case nice shot, beautiful plane beautiful car.

The difficulty with the camera in this and a few other shots is that I have just moved the car in place and the wife is simply pressing. The camera was set on auto mode so the exposure was drawn from the entire picture, rather than the darker area. I corrected it somewhat but thought that I might play with these darker shots for my own perspective...

I am actually most guilty at my laziness towards taking RAW images rather than jpg and simply using Lightroom to let me choose amongst many exposure settings. Even there, however, the exposure could not have been centered in on just the car as I was trying to do with this shot.

The difficulty with the camera in this and a few other shots is that I have just moved the car in place and the wife is simply pressing. The camera was set on auto mode so the exposure was drawn from the entire picture, rather than the darker area. I corrected it somewhat but thought that I might play with these darker shots for my own perspective...

I am actually most guilty at my laziness towards taking RAW images rather than jpg and simply using Lightroom to let me choose amongst many exposure settings. Even there, however, the exposure could not have been centered in on just the car as I was trying to do with this shot.

Les, you ideally need to be in camera raw to make finer adjustments using adjustment brushes, shadows, exposure and the cool grad filter tool. Basically in ACR mode.

Think you did a pretty good job with the auto mode.

Although this won't help with pictures taken, One of my friends would shoot three pictures in a row. Each picture taking a different exposure so he could later layer the photos to give brightness to the areas desired. Not sure how fancy your camera is but I figured I would throw this your way.

Although this won't help with pictures taken, One of my friends would shoot three pictures in a row. Each picture taking a different exposure so he could later layer the photos to give brightness to the areas desired. Not sure how fancy your camera is but I figured I would throw this your way.
That's called hdr mode Riley. Even your iPhone does it now :)

You posted in the Off Topic section Les. Those responses are what is to be expected in the thread. You have to be really patient AND have some really thick skin, if you're going to participate in there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread