Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
So I've dropped hints about this functionality over the last few months.

I'd like to open up discussion on whether any member is willing to run or participate in Club/Social Groups within CCF and also poll your opinions on how many may be interested in helping or participating.

What are social groups?
Basically a mini-forum within this forum.

Isn't that what Facebook Groups are about?
Yes and no. FB groups are great for quick sharing a pic or a post but pretty lame for curated content, actual discussions (rather than just comments), indexing, maintaining history etc.

What can you do with social groups on CCF?
Well you can run your own club group in a forum like fashion. You can run a totally private group (by invite only and visible to members only), a semi-public group (by invite but visible) or completely public. You can dress it up with your own banner image, gallery, sub-forums etc.

For example you can have the Beaches Snake Corvette Club of Tasmania™ which will look different from regular CCF. It will have it's own sub-forums such as:

- BSCCT
-- Cars
-- Snakes moving to Tasmania
-- Tasmania in the News
-- Snakes already in Tasmania
-- I found a snake Forum
-- Detailing Corvettes (due to snake damage)

The above forums will be outside of the CCF main forums and only visible to your Club/Group visitors and/or members.

So who decides what the content is?
Each social group or club will have it's own moderator (or moderators). They will be responsible for memberships, invites, keeping the place clean, creating content and discussions etc. Global mods and myself will typically be hands off unless things get out of hand.

How can I help?
If it's something that you feel may be of interest to you and your community please vote in the poll and/or drop me a private message if you have a special request.

Any conditions?
Yes, but not many thankfully. We do ask the following:

1. If you are proposing a group/club and volunteering to moderate it you need to give us a small write-up of the purpose of the group (this will be incorporated into the groups manifesto and description).

2. We expect each group to have a minimum of 10 members after a period of 30 days from inception (otherwise it becomes your own private forum/blog and that's what facebook is about :)). As a group moderator it's your responsibility to invite and manage members of your group (members can be existing CCF members or not though obviously they will need to signup to CCF to participate).

3. If you would like a completely private group we would like to hear the reasons why.

4. Obviously given this is a Corvette Forum we'd like groups to be at the very least car related though if you have a good idea we will hear you out.

Poll is open for 7 days at which point we will determine if there's sufficient interest in bringing this functionality to CCF.

Reactions: LSXtasy