72ray

72ray
Casual User
Aug 7, 2018
Sydney Australia
VetteCoins
Car
1972 coupe 350 TH400
I was reading about opinions on magnetic sump plugs on a forum here and concerns about the magnet some plugs have attached to them breaking off inside the sump, so I thought I’d share that you can magnetize your steel plug by rubbing it on a strong magnet. NB: Rub in one direction only and in a manner similar to say brushing a horse or a dog. Long strokes in one direction only. Hopefully that example makes sense. You can magnetize the tip of a screwdriver in the same manner. Hopefully this is useful to someone, ✌️

Now I just need to find somewhere on the vette to use algebra 😂
😳
If Corvette A was driven at 65mph toward Corvette B that was driven at 70mph toward Corvette A and they were 500miles apart, if they both departed at 9:00am, what are the odds of the Driver winning with a 649 quick pick that he buys before he leaves?
😂

Ok ... as it’s Corvette Hibernation and there is little else to do ... now that I’ve detailed this thread, and for those who like the challenge ... What time will the two drivers meet? 😂

... and YYSSW I know the answer doesn’t matter as we meet at the A&W on the East side of the Red Deer Highway Mile before going to Ponoka for the Spring “out from hibernation” Cruise 😁👍🏻

Last edited:
😳
If Corvette A was driven at 65mph toward Corvette B that was driven at 70mph toward Corvette A and they were 500miles apart, if they both departed at 9:00am, what are the odds of the Driver winning with a 649 quick pick that he buys before he leaves?
😂

Just slightly less than 1 in 14 million. But if he checks his number while driving and realizes he won, his odds of leaving the road at a high rate of speed increase to just less than 1 in 3.

Hahahaha.... too funny Spence.... You edited your post while I was formulating my answer to your original ....
Yes I did because I really did not want to have anyone troubled with having to do “homework” on a Sunday ... 😂
Then I thought as I was editing ... crap 💩.... someone is already doing this math I bet and mentioning our Red Deer Stop in the Spring was a pretty good guess for where the math hamster wheel was squeaking away ... 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I was reading about opinions on magnetic sump plugs on a forum here and concerns about the magnet some plugs have attached to them breaking off inside the sump, so I thought I’d share that you can magnetize your steel plug by rubbing it on a strong magnet. NB: Rub in one direction only and in a manner similar to say brushing a horse or a dog. Long strokes in one direction only. Hopefully that example makes sense. You can magnetize the tip of a screwdriver in the same manner. Hopefully this is useful to someone, ✌️

Great DIY 72ray. If by chance you don't have a strong magnet, the other way to magnetize iron or steel (careful as many metals cannot be magnetized), is with electricity.

Wrap multiple coils of insulated wire around something with enough diameter that you can pass the item in and out of the center gap. (say a shot glass or similar). The more wraps, the stronger the magnetic field will be, but also remember the more wraps, the more electrical resistance as well so don't go overboard or you will have to increase the voltage (which gets dangerous). Leave a tag end on each end of the wire for battery connection. Slide the shot glass out from the wire wrapped coils; connect each end of the wire to a 9 or 12 volt battery (here's where it's handy to have an inline switch or a quick disconnect as the wire and/or battery will get pretty hot if left connected very long).
Turn on the power and pass the bolt (or whatever), slowly in and out of the gap inside the wire coils. You can do this multiple times (always enter and exit from the same direction), and don't leave the battery connected long enough to start a fire either.
I have done this method with screwdrivers and it works great, but please note that I did not invent this method. So if you burn your fingers or start a fire or end up with any other unwanted result, blame Hans Oersted.

Now I just need to find somewhere on the vette to use algebra 😂
Geez I forgot to mention that there is nothing to worry about with the use of math on today’s Corvette. The Computerized System on the Z06 has numerous algorithms continuously being calculated faster than the top end speed of this awesome supercharged rocket ship while the pilot is operating it. 😁👍🏻
Or maybe it just the optional NAV system calculating your arrival time for you ... 😂

Where is the party 72Ray?
Don't know how we will drive there though.

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
I don't know whether going to all the trouble to make a mag drain plug is really worth it. Considering that they run in the $20 range, my time is worth way more than that. Besides, I've been running a mag plug that I bought off Ebay for 2 seasons now, and not a hint of a problem. Actually, damn glad I am;

Magnetic drain plug is worth it's weight in gold!

I serious doubt that magnetizing plain carbon steel would make it strong enough to hold on to any larger particles (or parts!). Back in my youth, making magnets by wrapping copper wire around a piece of steel, and running a 12v current through the coil with a car battery was standard fare. It was an excellent way to singe fingers. Damn lucky I didn't blow my face off with an exploding battery too, but hey, that was when you could still buy carbon powder, sulphur powder, saltpeter, and magnesium strips at any pharmacy straight off the shelf! But alas, the magnets were never that strong. The pipe bombs however.... different story for a different day.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: YFCvii and Bixter44
Man this is a great forum. Two things from this. I now know how to make a magnet (guess I forgot) and now understand why my dogs run for the hills when I try to brush them. Who knew you should only go one way.

I think the magnetic drain plugs are worth it. Mine is always clean but I still check it. I wonder as well about those magnets that attach to the filter. Makes sense to me. Cheap insurance. Lets face it if you have a connecting rod stuck on your drain plug you just might want to know.:Biggrin:

I don't know whether going to all the trouble to make a mag drain plug is really worth it. Considering that they run in the $20 range, my time is worth way more than that. Besides, I've been running a mag plug that I bought off Ebay for 2 seasons now, and not a hint of a problem. Actually, damn glad I am;

Magnetic drain plug is worth it's weight in gold!

I serious doubt that magnetizing plain carbon steel would make it strong enough to hold on to any larger particles (or parts!). Back in my youth, making magnets by wrapping copper wire around a piece of steel, and running a 12v current through the coil with a car battery was standard fare. It was an excellent way to singe fingers. Damn lucky I didn't blow my face off with an exploding battery too, but hey, that was when you could still buy carbon powder, sulphur powder, saltpeter, and magnesium strips at any pharmacy straight off the shelf! But alas, the magnets were never that strong. The pipe bombs however.... different story for a different day.
My time is so valuable, if I stop to pick up a $20 bill I'm losing money.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread