Featured Thread

YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
Making this new thread with hope that it is easy to search for SD Card FAT32 formatting methods
Found that my MacBook has become an excellent device to create FAT32 format SD Cards for the C7 PDR.

I formatted a 64Gb Card for 1577 minutes of PDR recording time. (over 26 1/4 hours)
I formatted a 128Gb Card for 3149 minutes of PDR recording time. (almost 52 1/2 hours)

If you have a MacBook, here is the method to format an SD Card
Note: I have used thumbnail photos as to make this instruction sheet easy to see.
Just click on the thumbnail to enlarge the photo

1. Insert new SD Card Type 10 into the MacBook slot
IMG_3811a.jpg IMG_3812a.jpg

2. Open "Disk Utility" App
IMG_3813a.jpg IMG_3814a.jpg IMG_3815a.jpg

3. Click the SD in the App Window and an Info Screen Pops Up
(note my SD card was previously named so you will be looking on this screen for one without a name)
IMG_3816a.jpg

4. There is an "Erase" box on this Pop Up - just click on it
IMG_3817a.jpg

5. Another Popup occurs and in this box you can give your SD Card a "name"
IMG_3817b.jpg

6. You will see Format:Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a up&down arrow beside
Click the up&down arrow and select "MS-DOS (FAT)"
IMG_3817c.jpg IMG_3818b.jpg

7. Click "Erase" at the bottom
IMG_3819a.jpg

8 . Within a few seconds it will be completed. Click "Done"
IMG_3820a.jpg

9. You will now be able to confirm FAT32 Format - which is what your C7 PDR requires
IMG_3821a.jpg

10. The SD Card will then need to be safely ejected from your MacBook
find the Card on your screen and (left click) for the Pop Up
IMG_3822a.jpg

11. On the Pop Up Click "Eject" and then your SD Card can be safely removed from the slot
IMG_3823b.jpg IMG_3812c.jpg

10. Place this SD Card in your Corvette PDR
11. In the PDR Option on your Console Screen display will show you have #### minutes free
IMG_3765a.jpg

Photos here are those for a 128Gb card I just did ... and for those who might not have the tech savvy and/or the equipment, please do not hesitate to ask questions and/or whether someone nearby might be able to help make one for you. As for price, Walmart has a Quality SanDisk 128Gb Type 10 SD Card for about $80 plus tax (Feb 2018) ...

Good info Spence. This is exactly what I did with my 64 GB card on the MacBook.
One thing to note. The cheap large GB cards do not work well. When doing the formatting research on mine I read the 32 gb is the max size that will format reliably for the PDR using the budget cards. For anything bigger a high end card is required which cost double.
I don’t remember the little description acronym of this better card but a 5 minute google search will explain it all. It may the type 10 you mentioned. If so that’s a good deal.
But once successfully formatted as you listed above the cards are very reliable.
The hard part is remembering to turn on the PDR. :thumbs:

Reactions: turbozig and YFCvii
Thanks Derek. I found a reasonable priced Type 10 128Gb SD card today and could not resist giving the PDR format a try. Big bonus was getting to sit in the Corvette (snowing & -16 C) to test the formatting and to take a photo of the PDR screen (and dream of Summer too). I did have a "plan B" use for this card but it's all good for the entire MITM. I had to remember my FAT32 format method and where I wrote it on these forums. I found it after a bit however decided to rewrite a DIY that I hope will help others if/when needed. Writing this also kept me ocupied during the lull laps of today's Daytona 500 (#3 car won) ...

In regard to the low cost budget SD Cards, I will concur that one must set sights on a quality card purchase. My "plan B" use was to retire one of my cheap 8Gb SD cards.

True ... my 52 1/2 hours of recording time and all this techno gizmo writing means absolutley nothing if I do not remember to turn the PDR recording on ... :Banghead:

Last edited:
Making this new thread with hope that it is easy to search for SD Card FAT32 formatting methods
Found that my MacBook has become an excellent device to create FAT32 format SD Cards for the C7 PDR.

I formatted a 64Gb Card for 1577 minutes of PDR recording time. (over 26 1/4 hours)
I formatted a 128Gb Card for 3149 minutes of PDR recording time. (almost 52 1/2 hours)

If you have a MacBook, here is the method to format an SD Card
Note: I have used thumbnail photos as to make this instruction sheet easy to see.
Just click on the thumbnail to enlarge the photo

1. Insert new SD Card Type 10 into the MacBook slot
View attachment 14680 View attachment 14681

2. Open "Disk Utility" App
View attachment 14682 View attachment 14683 View attachment 14684

3. Click the SD in the App Window and an Info Screen Pops Up
(note my SD card was previously named so you will be looking on this screen for one without a name)
View attachment 14685

4. There is an "Erase" box on this Pop Up - just click on it
View attachment 14686

5. Another Popup occurs and in this box you can give your SD Card a "name"
View attachment 14687

6. You will see Format:Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a up&down arrow beside
Click the up&down arrow and select "MS-DOS (FAT)"
View attachment 14688 View attachment 14689

7. Click "Erase" at the bottom
View attachment 14690

8 . Within a few seconds it will be completed. Click "Done"
View attachment 14691

9. You will now be able to confirm FAT32 Format - which is what your C7 PDR requires
View attachment 14692

10. The SD Card will then need to be safely ejected from your MacBook
find the Card on your screen and (left click) for the Pop Up
View attachment 14693

11. On the Pop Up Click "Eject" and then your SD Card can be safely removed from the slot
View attachment 14694 View attachment 14695

10. Place this SD Card in your Corvette PDR
11. In the PDR Option on your Console Screen display will show you have #### minutes free
View attachment 14696

Photos here are those for a 128Gb card I just did ... and for those who might not have the tech savvy and/or the equipment, please do not hesitate to ask questions and/or whether someone nearby might be able to help make one for you. As for price, Walmart has a Quality SanDisk 128Gb Type 10 SD Card for about $80 plus tax (Feb 2018) ...

SN-lll......excellent instructions ....made it very easy to follow and format my 128Gb SD card........thanks!

Reactions: YFCvii and Nik
This is great information, thanks for posting!!!!!

I often use my PDR as a dash cam so I have a 128 Gb SD card in mine so I don't have to clear it very often. One note of caution, I was hit (very hard-car was written off) in the left rear quarter panel of my 2017 GS. There are a lot of electrical components in that wheel well which were destroyed causing the PDR to have a "catastrophic power failure" and that corrupted the file so I could not get anything off the PDR of the accident. Previous files were still OK but not the one recording when the car was hit.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
I often use my PDR as a dash cam so I have a 128 Gb SD card in mine so I don't have to clear it very often. One note of caution, I was hit (very hard-car was written off) in the left rear quarter panel of my 2017 GS. There are a lot of electrical components in that wheel well which were destroyed causing the PDR to have a "catastrophic power failure" and that corrupted the file so I could not get anything off the PDR of the accident. Previous files were still OK but not the one recording when the car was hit.
Ya WOW ... although the PDR is not marketed for it, would be nice if it had power reserve of sort or another way to finalize the current recording in the event of an accident (power loss) ... I’m hearing cars may soon if not already have a data box of sort to pull recent events from ... would love it for justifying insurance rate habits for new drivers and the really bad ones (although some perhaps may not like that). Some companies have driving trackers that do this on their employees. Long story, short ... would be nice if the PDR had the added ability ... I think about all this on the days I leave my vehicle for service ... that reminds me that I have to test the “valet” mode setting next time ... 🤪 damn OCD

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidWG
For those using Windows 10 there is a nice little free utility called "EaseUS Partition Master." It is quite intuitive and you just select what format you want to use (FAT 32) and press go.

This is the software I use on my Windows based PC. I have formated several cards up to 256gb with great success. All of the cards I purchased are the high quality Sandisk UHS-1 class 10 cards. Never had an issue with a card yet.