randyrdi

I'm New Here
Aug 17, 2010
Victoria BC
VetteCoins
Car
2002 C5 Convertible
I have just purchased my first 2002 C5 Vert and have a stupid question... Just after washing this car and driving it home the back end is totally dirty... Is it normal for the back to pick up alot of road trash?

for the record everyone... i officially resisted the 7 dirty back end comments that I originally had...

Welcome to the site!!! In all seriousness... (well not really but I'll try), can you describe the nature of the dirty back end? Is it dry and sandy or oily and greasy...

OK I can't do this.. LOL

Like I said ...stupid question...
So it is kind of complicated. I just purchased the car it went in for a inspection and the rear left axle to diff seal was replaced as it was leaking. So before the seal was replaced the issue was a oily Black residue for sure. But tonight it looks like it is a dry black dirt type of issue. But i really did not go that far and the rest of the car is spotless so I am just wondering if the back fascia gets dirty easily or do I have something else going on?

That what happens when you have a wide Butt. :D

The rear end of these cars tend to get quite dusty when they are driven.

The positive side means the more dust & dirt you pick up = the more fun you are having.:canada:

Last edited:
Like I said ...stupid question...
So it is kind of complicated. I just purchased the car it went in for a inspection and the rear left axle to diff seal was replaced as it was leaking. So before the seal was replaced the issue was a oily Black residue for sure. But tonight it looks like it is a dry black dirt type of issue. But i really did not go that far and the rest of the car is spotless so I am just wondering if the back fascia gets dirty easily or do I have something else going on?

Are there any mods done to the car , like say headers or a cat-back system . The stainless steel pipes used for exhaust will tend to produce more condensation, and when mixed with the exhaust gases cause a shooty reside that appears on the rear . It may also be that it is running too rich , which will have much the same effect . These cars are very much prone to the "dirty butt " due to the way air exits from the rear of the car .If you need any help , please feel to contact me @ 416-873-1779.

Thx
[email protected]
416-873-1779

Last edited:
Yes i have a borla exhaust, so i guess that and the roads i was on must have done it...
I will monitor to ensure it is not oily again today....

Thanks guys its awesome to have a resource like this!!

To help keep a clean back end, you can also install tail light seals. This doesn't let water sit under your tail lights which runs down the back of the car when you drive it without them.

Hey Riley,

Yes I do have them.

So after a closer look i just have dirt etc no oily residue....

I think that because of the oil from the diff that was originally a problem I thought I still had some issues.....

Thanks to all who posted!!!

Hey Riley,

Yes I do have them.

So after a closer look i just have dirt etc no oily residue....

I think that because of the oil from the diff that was originally a problem I thought I still had some issues.....

Thanks to all who posted!!!

Glad to hear you figured it out, many of us have soot problems (aka rich condition) better then being lean!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.