I have a question. I change the oil on my Cobra myself and buy Mobile 1 in the states (border city) as it is so much cheaper than here in Canada. I have 3 large containers and I noticed one container states "Fully Synthetic", however the others didn't. I looked on the internet but couldn't find an answer, the ones not labeled Fully Synthetic, are they a blended oil or is all Mobile 1 oil Fully Synthetic?

Cobra

Mobil 1 is full synthetic. Here are all the grades and versions sold in the US.

Full synthetic just means all the base stock has to either derive from group III (conventional oil aka dino oil that's been hydrotreated) or group IV (synthetically derived). Semi synthetic or synthetic blend just means that there has to be some group III or group IV synthetic base stock in the mix, but it can be any percentage of synthetic blended with any percentage of conventional. I use Mobil 1 because it's a group IV synthetic. Group IV synthetics are superior to group III because synthetic base stock is molecularly uniform. The hydrotreated conventional base stock in group III is more molecularly uniform than group II (dino oil that's been chemically refined), but not as uniform as group IV. The problem I have with group III synthetics is I'm not sure what the difference is between a group III conventional oil and a group III synthetic oil beyond the additive package, since they're both hydrotreated. If I'm going to pay more for an oil, I like the idea of the oil itself actually being better, as well as the additives.

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
For my 07 LS2 I paid a Corvette shop in Calgary last summer (2018) once or twice and it was right around $100 with the proper Mobil 1 and a Wix filter. That was a good deal in our area!
The last while I’ve been buying the right Mobil 1 at Canadian Tire when it goes on sale for about $32 a jug. The other day I found it around $30 or so for a jug at Wal-Mart!
When I was on the recent Corvette Caravan in the USA I was told about and bought several AC Delco filters for $3.98 USD each (at Wal-Mart).
Doing my own oil changes with ramps in my garage costs me about 30 minutes time and approximately $40. (Not a dry sump system).
Normally I use Wix filters.
The next question is -
Q: do I change dirty oil before storing for the winter or change it first thing in spring?
I’m thinking I read some where that it should be changed now due to the acids etc in dirty oil? Does anyone know for sure??
I ask this because it’s only September 29th and we have woken up this morning to at least 5” of snow and it’s still falling! Yuck!

That’s the question of the season. As Eric said if the car has relatively fresh oil and has only been cruising I wouldn’t and don’t bother. If it’s almost due or being driven like a corvette can be.... then ya it makes sense.
I prefer to put it away with relatively fresh oil and change it out first day in the spring.
But that’s just me. Mechanics laugh at us corvette guys as we are so anal about looking after these cars. Well they laugh but also respect the love for the cars.
Common sense and what makes you feel like you’re doing what’s right for your car is the prevalent thing here. I would not get too worried about the dirt and acids on reasonably fresh oil as some say. But it goes back them doing what makes them feel good about putting the car away. Nothing wrong with changing your oil daily if that’s what makes you feel good. Believe it... there are plenty who will run the oil to 99.9% on the meter or over. Cars run fine every year. Although it’s not one I would buy used... but again: that’s just me.

Common sense is the short answer

For my 07 LS2 I paid a Corvette shop in Calgary last summer (2018) once or twice and it was right around $100 with the proper Mobil 1 and a Wix filter. That was a good deal in our area!
The last while I’ve been buying the right Mobil 1 at Canadian Tire when it goes on sale for about $32 a jug. The other day I found it around $30 or so for a jug at Wal-Mart!
When I was on the recent Corvette Caravan in the USA I was told about and bought several AC Delco filters for $3.98 USD each (at Wal-Mart).
Doing my own oil changes with ramps in my garage costs me about 30 minutes time and approximately $40. (Not a dry sump system).
The next question is -
Q: do I change dirty oil before storing for the winter or change it first thing in spring?
I’m thinking I read some where that it should be changed now due to the acids etc in dirty oil? Does anyone know for sure??
I ask this because it’s only September 29th and we have woken up this morning to at least 5” of snow and it’s still falling! Yuck!
Jim, I have always changed the oil prior to storage, since the old oil will have some depris in it especially if it hasn't been changed since your Caravan Run. I have always done it that way and disconnected the battery, with the Michelin A/S 3's I don't even have to over inflate as they are the same KPA of 200 when it gets stored and when it comes out in April (weather permitting) Sun is up in Tuscany today 30Sept2019

I use Mobil 1 5W30 regularly and do a rad flush about every four years. No problems in the first 70K miles. Off to the last cruise night of the year. It is a special one for a real car guy who passed away last week. A real hotrodder. Ron's Corvette in the background for a teaser. A nice car too.
IMG_9264.JPG

The next question is -
Excellent!!! My question now is as recommended, change OIL 3 months or 5K km. Which ever come first. Bery controversial!!! Cheers 🥂😷 Keep posting. Thanks for the input 👍

That’s the question of the season. As Eric said if the car has relatively fresh oil and has only been cruising I wouldn’t and don’t bother. If it’s almost due or being driven like a corvette can be.... then ya it makes sense.
I prefer to put it away with relatively fresh oil and change it out first day in the spring.
But that’s just me. Mechanics laugh at us corvette guys as we are so anal about looking after these cars. Well they laugh but also respect the love for the cars.
Common sense and what makes you feel like you’re doing what’s right for your car is the prevalent thing here. I would not get too worried about the dirt and acids on reasonably fresh oil as some say. But it goes back them doing what makes them feel good about putting the car away. Nothing wrong with changing your oil daily if that’s what makes you feel good. Believe it... there are plenty who will run the oil to 99.9% on the meter or over. Cars run fine every year. Although it’s not one I would buy used... but again: that’s just me.

Common sense is the short answer
Ha ha ha I like that one. Just change it after each use. But don’t buy used oil😳 Cheers always 🥂😷

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread