*ZR01#

Casual User
Feb 13, 2011
Calgary, AB
VetteCoins
Car
2008 Convert-Z51
I may be a little late to the party, however having been in discussions with the local Chev Dealer in Calgary (Shagganappi) I was discussing OILS and the long and short of it is that in the 2008 Z51 LS3 oil being recommended was Mobil 1 since the Dexos was not out on the market at that time, and the Dexos 1 Gen 2 is acceptable for that engine so either can be used which leads me to believe that C6 LS engine would be able to use it across the board since 2011 is when the listing starts for LS3 engines. This information was discussed and obtained through "Imperial Oil Lubes and Specialties department at 1-800-387-3690".

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
I may be a little late to the party, however having been in discussions with the local Chev Dealer in Calgary (Shagganappi) I was discussing OILS and the long and short of it is that in the 2008 Z51 LS3 oil being recommended was Mobil 1 since the Dexos was not out on the market at that time, and the Dexos 1 Gen 2 is acceptable for that engine so either can be used which leads me to believe that C6 LS engine would be able to use it across the board since 2011 is when the listing starts for LS3 engines. This information was discussed and obtained through "Imperial Oil Lubes and Specialties department at 1-800-387-3690".

Personally I wouldn't use the Dexos 1 original as it was a blended oil and only part synthetic. The Gen 2 is a full synthetic and if I was using GM supplied oil, I wouldn't be opposed to using it. But I buy Mobil 1 on sale and have for quite a while (C6 and C7 habit) and while my GM dealer does the oil change, I do supply him the oil. (the saving is unbelievable).

• Agree
Reactions: LE BARON
Personally I wouldn't use the Dexos 1 original as it was a blended oil and only part synthetic. The Gen 2 is a full synthetic and if I was using GM supplied oil, I wouldn't be opposed to using it. But I buy Mobil 1 on sale and have for quite a while (C6 and C7 habit) and while my GM dealer does the oil change, I do supply him the oil. (the saving is unbelievable).
Agree. Much cheaper to buy the Mobile 1 when on sale. I bought 5.5 L 2 weeks ago for $32 at Part Source. They had the 4.5 L with an extra 1 L. Full oil change with the filter purchased on Amazon for $14 and $45 for labour was $125 and I had over 1 L left over for the lawn tractor. Dealer charges $250.

Agree. Much cheaper to buy the Mobile 1 when on sale. I bought 5.5 L 2 weeks ago for $32 at Part Source. They had the 4.5 L with an extra 1 L. Full oil change with the filter purchased on Amazon for $14 and $45 for labour was $125 and I had over 1 L left over for the lawn tractor. Dealer charges $250.

I supply the oil. My dealer supplies the filter, multi-point inspection (quick glance around...lol), and tops up windshield washer.... $33.57 out the door. I can't justify laying on my back for that.....

Seeing this at Shag service calmed any anxieties I had about what’s going into my car.

4397590E-AC05-49A0-803F-B4445EC92A59.jpeg

And I felt I was getting ripped off @ $170 for my oil change. $250 is crazy

I supply the oil. My dealer supplies the filter, multi-point inspection (quick glance around...lol), and tops up windshield washer.... $33.57 out the door. I can't justify laying on my back for that.....
Well there's only one other way to make a living on your back. But seriously, that's a good deal.

Your 2008 specified GM4718M which was replaced by Dexos 1, so your dealer is correct.

Mobil 1 would still be a superior oil, because it's a group IV synthetic, so the extra cost is going towards more than just the marketing arrangement between GM and Mobil. I suspect AC Delco Synthetic is a group III, especially when considering the price, but I haven't been able to find a full spec sheet. Group IV synthetics are superior to group IIIs because group IV come from synthetic base stock whereas group III is hydrotreated from conventional (crude oil) stock.

And I felt I was getting ripped off @ $170 for my oil change. $250 is crazy
The first time they changed the oil it was $170. The next year I paid $220 and then they quoted me $250. I thanked them for their courteous reply and bought my oil and filter and had my mechanic do the oil change for $45.

Interesting, I was at the GM dealership today getting an oil change on my 2017 ATS and I was enquiring about their Dextros versus Mobile 1 oil. This is my third Cadillac and with my previous two the dealer installed Moble 1 as that's what was recommended by the manufacturer. All my oil changes are free for the first four years as well. I've always been preferential to Mobile 1 and that is what I run in my Cobra too.

The dealer advised me that the Dextros 2 is fully synethetic whereas Dextros 1 was not. He stated that they promote Dextros 2 equal to Mobile 1 however he did state I could request Mobile 1 for a slight upcharge. That makes me think Mobile 1 is a superior oil, the old adage being "you get what you pay for"!

I think with my Corvette I'll be requesting Mobile 1 ha ha.

I have a question. I change the oil on my Cobra myself and buy Mobile 1 in the states (border city) as it is so much cheaper than here in Canada. I have 3 large containers and I noticed one container states "Fully Synthetic", however the others didn't. I looked on the internet but couldn't find an answer, the ones not labeled Fully Synthetic, are they a blended oil or is all Mobile 1 oil Fully Synthetic?

Cobra

To my knowledge, Mobil 1 is all full synthetic. Mobil does make synthetic blends though but I don't think they have the "1" designation. Every full synthetic Mobil I have seen is labelled as such.

Reactions: Pep and LE BARON
Well, maybe I am losing my mind? but, I am pretty sure I used Mobil 1 in all my corvettes: it was the recommended oil, was it not? I notice the C8 uses/recommends Dexos 2 synthetic motor oil - right? I'll use whatever is recommended by GM . They always charge a fair bit more for the Mobil 1, it seems to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. Just got mine back and also flushed the brake fluid (every 5 years), so I ended up paying $280.00 for just the oil change!
Won't happen again! I didn't know we could bring in our own oil and filter. Gonna save me a bunch.

Reactions: LE BARON and tyho
For my 07 LS2 I paid a Corvette shop in Calgary last summer (2018) once or twice and it was right around $100 with the proper Mobil 1 and a Wix filter. That was a good deal in our area!
The last while I’ve been buying the right Mobil 1 at Canadian Tire when it goes on sale for about $32 a jug. The other day I found it around $30 or so for a jug at Wal-Mart!
When I was on the recent Corvette Caravan in the USA I was told about and bought several AC Delco filters for $3.98 USD each (at Wal-Mart).
Doing my own oil changes with ramps in my garage costs me about 30 minutes time and approximately $40. (Not a dry sump system).
Normally I use Wix filters.
The next question is -
Q: do I change dirty oil before storing for the winter or change it first thing in spring?
I’m thinking I read some where that it should be changed now due to the acids etc in dirty oil? Does anyone know for sure??
I ask this because it’s only September 29th and we have woken up this morning to at least 5” of snow and it’s still falling! Yuck!

For my 07 LS2 I paid a Corvette shop in Calgary last summer (2018) once or twice and it was right around $100 with the proper Mobil 1 and a Wix filter. That was a good deal in our area!
The last while I’ve been buying the right Mobil 1 at Canadian Tire when it goes on sale for about $32 a jug. The other day I found it around $30 or so for a jug at Wal-Mart!
When I was on the recent Corvette Caravan in the USA I was told about and bought several AC Delco filters for $3.98 USD each (at Wal-Mart).
Doing my own oil changes with ramps in my garage costs me about 30 minutes time and approximately $40. (Not a dry sump system).
The next question is -
Q: do I change dirty oil before storing for the winter or change it first thing in spring?
I’m thinking I read some where that it should be changed now due to the acids etc in dirty oil? Does anyone know for sure??
I ask this because it’s only September 29th and we have woken up this morning to at least 5” of snow and it’s still falling! Yuck!
I had mine changed at the dealership, drove it home and put it to sleep. To many things in the world to lose sleep over than parking a car for a few months and worrying about what the fluids are up to....what did the previous owner do....maybe you don’t want to know....lol.

The next question is -
My call is it depends on how dirty. If it's close to due for a change, yes. Change it. If it still looks clean and its sitting at 70% or higher, put her away and don't lose any sleep.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread