Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
I have some health issues and have lost a lot of upper body strength so detailing wheels is a little tough. Lifting the wheels then trying to rotate them by hand was just a little too much.

So I bought four fixed casters from Tractor Supply. I went with bigs and smalls as to not throw off the "Active Handling" function or because they did not have four of the same size (horrible store). One of those is the truth.:Biggrin:

I made it so I can clamp it into an old Black and Decker Workmate and it is the right height to sit and work at the cleaning process. You could clamp it into a vice or other device, whatever works. There is a wedge to slide into to hold the wheel and tire in position and it seems to work well. The wheel spins with one finger so no more struggling with the tire/wheel. Works well.

5c6Wf8Bl.jpg

ST1jGFDl.jpg

p6dXlRZl.jpg

IWA27fCl.jpg

FQ78AB4l.jpg

great l'il invention murray. to avoid lifting at all i like the atv/lawn tractor lift jacks. slide the wheel off the car onto the lift cradle pull it away from the car and pump the pedal to get it up in the air. no armstronging whatsoever. that was the only way i could get the rear wheels off my little kubota backhoe.

Man, I don't like blowing smoke up my own a$$ but this thing works really well. I spent a couple of hours today cleaning my CCW wheels that have way too many spokes. I bought SP 16's and now I wish I had opted for the SP 1.:Biggrin: The rollers make it so easy to clean them.

The only issue is trying to keep the wheel/tire tracking in a straight line, they tends to roll off the one larger roller. I may need an engineering review. I originally thought of using boat trailer rollers and I wonder if one V type solid roller would stop this from happening. I have a neighbour that I don't really like and he just happens to have a new boat trailer.;) I wonder.

The prototype may be for sale, cheap as long as you don't tell my neighbour what happened to his trailer.:D

Today I tried a different polish on my CCW T-10's.
Bare polished aluminum is by far the best in my opinion for looks anyway. Keeping them that way can be a challenge.
The main thing is keeping them clean and being careful not to scratch while doing so.
After a good cleaning today I tried Mother's pure polish and then Mother's micro polishing glaze. The end result is extremely nice. This polish is for paint as I'm sure you all know so it was very gentle on the aluminum.

This polish also leaves a protective film, water bounces and runs right off and should last a good while before doing again.

Extremely happy with this method!

Bill

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.