Featured Thread
R

RockyPM

So being holed up and working from home since March I decided to try a little painting on the car. Focusing under the hood as some of the parts I figured could use a bit of color. Sanded and painted the fuse box cover and just letting the clear dry on the air intake. I sanded the sharp seam edges but left the top textured. I like how it turned out and will be reinstalling g it tomorrow night.
I think I’m hooked on painting. F6D2584C-5C1A-455A-B3DC-9EDE3A022968.jpegF6D2584C-5C1A-455A-B3DC-9EDE3A022968.jpeg51E8E521-6C87-4CFA-BF1A-4C9FBEDEA914.jpegF2F50D7F-1193-409F-961B-94FC21579C0A.jpeg4A91FD8E-CA0C-488B-81BB-6383AE365738.jpegC027DA56-F3BA-4EF1-A150-BB68A08D263A.jpeg

So being holed up and working from home since March I decided to try a little painting on the car. Focusing under the hood as some of the parts I figured could use a bit of color. Sanded and painted the fuse box cover and just letting the clear dry on the air intake. I sanded the sharp seam edges but left the top textured. I like how it turned out and will be reinstalling g it tomorrow night.
I think I’m hooked on painting.View attachment 75930View attachment 75930View attachment 75931View attachment 75932View attachment 75933View attachment 75934
Hey, that looks great. I’m a new C5 owner - first Vette, and I’m using the winter time at home to do a complete engine detail. I’m new at this but have found a few good products that work well. Not being able to use a hose to rinse is a bit of an issue, so I just use a spray bottle of water. I’ve been thinking of painting a few parts as well, but have seen pics of a few DIY’s that have bubbled and peeled, but that may have been not enough prep. Yours looks really good, I think I’ll give it a try.

@jmason, yes prep is key. Good cleaning then sanding and wipe down with degreaser/cleaner. Used an adhesion prep spray before primer and paint layers. These had 2 layers of primer then 3 layers of paint finishing with 3 of clear coat. Good luck and go for it.

• Informative
Reactions: Bixter44
I think I’m hooked on painting.View attachment 75930View attachment 75930View attachment 75931View attachment 75932View attachment 75933View attachment 75934
Looks sweet! I have been dying to try painting stuff but I get so stuck on material questions like, prime or not prime, what kind of primer. Paint, lacquer, enamel, colour match? All that stuff to consider, I end up just saying, maybe next year. lol .....

hmmmm... working from home has it's perks Paul. Hopefully Todd isn't a member...:ROFL:

Got intake installed tonight. Some small touch ups but happy with the result. The shroud that covers the filters is not right and moves around. Looks to be a lot of play between the tabs on the shroud and the filter racks. Anyone experience this? It was loose before but now that I’m working on it would like to tighten it up. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: 12cents and YFCvii
Got intake installed tonight. Some small touch ups but happy with the result. The shroud that covers the filters is not right and moves around. Looks to be a lot of play between the tabs on the shroud and the filter racks. Anyone experience this? It was loose before but now that I’m working on it would like to tighten it up. Any ideas?
Hey Paul. Does it feel like the 4 clips are not cinching the shroud down tightly or do the clips cinch it firmly but the entire shroud still jiggles around? Perhaps a thin strip of adhesive one side closed cell foam weather stripping, grooved to fit on the edge perimeter under the cover?... Just a farmer fix idea for what it's worth....lol...

It’s about 5/8” space when the shroud sits on top of the filter covers. Go g to take your idea and put some on top of the intake then a strip on the clip that is on each side. That should keep it up amd away from rubbing on the tops of the filter covers and tight on the bottom. Thanks!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.