This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dealerships selling way too high for used C7?

My offer was refused and he didn't counter offer and says they are in hot demand but it's been for sale by the previous owner for a year and another 4 months by the dealer. Looks like he really wants 58K for that car. I guess it's the end of the road for that one. Onto the next hunt.

YYSSW ... in such “hot demand” that the car is selling so quickly ... show up next week and ask about that “hot demand” response and resubmit an offer (if possible face-to-face). It can take many times if they are wanting to actually sell it. Tell them each time to call you when the price drops. Best time to bug them with a hard-nose offer is last week of every month for the next three months ... or set your eyes on a couple more and do this until one gets accepted. No harm ... and its winter.
Best of Fortune

- some may not have the patience to do this which is completely understandable -

Last edited:
Reactions: Rruuff Day and tyho

I reread his message because I was a little upset about the response, sure I put a low starting offer so we could negotiate so I could end up paying just right. I even offered to pay it cash, no financing. He said he was insulted by my offer. He said it was the opposite since people will have to wait several years, that's right he said several years to get a C8 just like the C6, he continued on it's a hot commodity and they are only allocated a few C7s for sale. Then to contradict himself a little he said yeah it takes months to sell one.

Based on that response never in a million years I would want to waste an entire day driving there to get the same answer for a 500$ rebate. I have no other choice than to be patient it's winter! If only If I could buy red seats I could put them in another grey car. Ok I'll lay low for another 3 weeks and submit another email offer for a few K more? I just know he'll never go down to my high side which for him will be another lowball insult. My gut instinct tells me he doesn't want to let it go below 56 500$.

Several trips to potentially save thousands sounds feasible. As for the "high demand", well I'm quite certain not a whole lot of corvettes are sold during the winter and given what is happening with C7 prices south of the boarder, I bet the prices will be dropping if the C8 continues to be reasonably affordable. Speculation or an educated guess, either way, you buy what is affordable.

A dealership would prefer it if you financed. Cash doesn't mean anything.

They may have put way too much into it and would not be willing to sell it for less. If they gave the previous owner $56k for it, if they're advertising $58k, they won't drop below $57k until they're desperate.

Reactions: frankmp
That guy can cry a river saying “he’s insulted” with an offer. Its part of his job and should grow up on that childish response in this day of the millennial. You are now a well informed buyer to move along ... people are not lined up for C7 and earlier. If they were, i know three used C7s and soooo many new ones that are ready to go.
There’s 30 new at capital chev in calgary that are not flying out the door.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tango
[QUOTE="SN-III, post: 187803, member: 325
[/QUOTE]
I see that and they don't mention a thing about any vandalized cars....... Guess you find out at purchase......

Yeah I know they prefer financing because they make a cut on the interests, the longer the payment term the better. I know exactly the trade in price, the previous owner told me the amount. Then he told me how he tried to sell it unsuccessfully at 58K for a full year and everyone was offering between 49K to 52K. Then he tried to trade it in to several dealers, again at a low price.

So after reading your comment you are right on the money and what you say, I think they won't lower it to a price that's sounds reasonable to me. I think they offered him more in order to sell a camaro and I bet in business terms they'll make it up on the "healing" side with him.

[QUOTE="SN-III, post: 187803, member: 325
I see that and they don't mention a thing about any vandalized cars....... Guess you find out at purchase......
[/QUOTE]
Last I was there, it’s rather the contrary where nothing is being hidden and they were disclosing the information along with a deep discount in the negotiation. It’s a respectful person-to-person disclosure and not advertised. Not all 30 were vandalized. Some still show their cosmetic damage. If I were in the market and I really liked a particular option package, I would have my offer include repair by Contemporary Coachworks.

Last edited:

Exactly in this day and age of technology buyers are very knowledgeable. It only takes someone to raise their arm up in the air to grab the wealth of information.

Walk away.

He doesn't understand jack S about the art of "salesmanship".

Some dealers are like that. They all seem to have one or two salesmen on staff that are just jerks. Seems like you had the misfortune of dealing with one of those guys.

If they have too much into it, so what? Exactly how does that matter to you? That's their problem for making a bad deal from who they got it from and now they're trying to make it someone else's problem by sucking as much cash out of you as possible. Eff that. You're not there to bail them out of the s-hole they've dug for themselves. If they screwed up, they just now don't

When I was selling cars (admittedly, many decades ago), guys who were "lowballers" were a major PITA, but at least they were making an offer. That told me they were at least interested in the vehicle so a potential sale was there. Sometimes you could work them into the price range you wanted to sell at, sometimes you couldn't. Sometimes a "lowballer" just doesn't have enough money, sometimes they're just frugal (or cheap if you prefer).

Making an auto sale is WORK, actual, hard, stressful WORK. if you just want to move the occasional vehicle, you can sit around and wait for the "right guy" to show up and you can afford the luxury of being "insulted". If you want to move a lot of vehicles and make a nice fat monthly paycheck, you need to work every single person who comes through the door, whether they are looking for a car or not. Heck, I've sold new cars to people who were just coming in for service or parts. Strike up a convo as they walk around the floor while waiting and next thing you know they were actually considering that new car or truck I pointed out to them. Sometimes we were signing papers that day, or soemtimes they woudl be back later in the week (usually with their missus).

Sounds like you got a guy who wants a paycheck and to do minimal work for it.....brush him off like he's dandruff, walk away, find another car.

Heck, you never know; he might call you next month when they haven't moved the car and then you can tell him you're "insulted" he called and jam that thing right up through his "balloon knot".

And if they think C7 prices are "hot" right now, they're either not watching the markets or they are flat out lying to you to get you to pay more. I've seen several US forums posting up 2019 and older vettes in the 35-40K range. That's dealer advertised, not private sales. Now, admittedly, that's the USA, prices are lower than Canada as a rule. But, what you need to watch is the TREND, just as any car dealer should be doing. C7s are dropping and not selling. Sure, they're still getting (overall) good coin for them, but anticipation of the C8 is depressing the C7 market. They can agree with that or not, it doesn't change the fact of what IS.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Tango
“Balloon knot”.....lol. You sir win the internet.....

@Tourmax I love your comment! Just plain awesome, the attitude with the Capital letters in his reply email with "OFFER REFUSED" left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Chocolate starfish...took me a while to figure out what limp bizkit was refering to! haha

Anyway here's another car that's very interesting to me, red dash trim red seats and Oh my gosh the Akrapovic exhaust sounds crazy. There's a few Youtube videos and it's just nuts. The private seller sent me a reply a few minutes ago and so far so good, he drove it good but he didn't do burnouts or doughnuts.. I'm looking for advice and opinions on this one. Asking price 61K.

To give you an idea of the "trends":

See the drops?

Next year the 2019 C7 might be in the same place the 2018 is: 22% drop in asking prices.

In fact, given that I expect the C8 to devastate the demand for the C7 (or earlier models) on the new car lots, the 2018 C7 might become the steal of the decade. I wouldn't expect the 2019 to get hit quite as hard though, the 2018 is now in the "used car market" pool and won't be on dealer lots much. Dealers mainly deal with "new" buyers and that's generally what people going to car lots look for; new. They're not looking for a 2 or three year old Vette on a "new lot"....those cars usually end up on kijiji or autotrader....

55000 cash and be very polite and gentle

I got 52500 for a 2016 8 months ago from a wholesaler, 2lt 33000 kms

dealer sold it for 50 k in October 2019

55000 cash and be very polite and gentle

I got 52500 for a 2016 8 months ago from a wholesaler, 2lt 33000 kms

dealer sold it for 50 k in October 2019

If I understand correctly, 55K is what you thinks it's worth for the Z51 3LT I just posted? If so I'd buy it at that price.

I just found the same car with more and better pictures on auto trader. Listed at 60K

Reactions: Jeffer2013

Users who are viewing this thread