sante65

2 You're 10
Feb 16, 2011
Windsor
VetteCoins
Car
Anyone know why my dash doesn't come to life when I turn the key. No lights, needles don't move and car won't start.

Anyone know why my dash doesn't come to life when I turn the key. No lights, needles don't move and car won't start.

There are a set of bulbs in the dash the burn out very easily , as well its a 2 board and sometimes the contacts corrode . I have fixed a few with good results . It is a very sensitive job to do as the contacts are sometimes very brittle at the board and can break off on the board , making it a real pain to solder back on .

The battery is charged and all the other lights in the car work. However, as I stated the needles do not work either. Could it be because of a defective ECM?

Could it be a bad ignition switch? Do you hear any clicking of any solenoids? Does the fuel pump power up? Does the engine turn over, or is there absolutely nothing happening?

PS, this is total speculation.

Absolutely nothing happening. Not hearing the fuel pump. I'll have to check if the starter and solenoid are getting power. Would I be correct in assuming if the solenoid is not click that the ignition is defective? Also, there should be voltage getting to the starter directly from the battery. Is that correct?

Sounds like your going to need to check al the fuses and a few of the main 12v and grounds.

What year is the car? It may also be worth reading up on the VATS system. There's no way thats why the dash isn't working though.

Dan

Ok I've just read your thread asking about the ECM - first off in those pictures there is a plug missing... there should be 4 plugs and yours only has 3 pluged in (spot the yellow connector) if you've not since changed this I'm going to guess this is where your problem lies.

Also I don't remeber that wiring harness being so long.... does it look like someone has spliced into it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.