ctdrl-1

Jan 12, 2009
Saskatoon, Sask
VetteCoins
My portable garage that I was storing my H1 in blew away last night!!! Right over the Truck, over a 6 foot fence stopped momentarily to smash my neibours van, and is now in a crumpled mess in my back yard!:swear::swear:

Brent

That is a insurance claim I could have done with out!:swear:

The good news is it never even touched my truck, the gust was so strong it ripped it right out of the ground, straight up over my truck and onto the van!

I have not heard anything from the acreage yet. Hopefully the three spikes per foot, screw anchors and rebar have kept the portable garages planted.

Sorry to hear about the shed blowing away. Glad to hear that it did not hurt the Hummer. Hopefully everything will work out with the neighbour.

My portable garage that I was storing my H1 in blew away last night!!! Right over the Truck, over a 6 foot fence stopped momentarily to smash my neibours van, and is now in a crumpled mess in my back yard!:swear::swear:

Brent

That is a insurance claim I could have done with out!:swear:

The good news is it never even touched my truck, the gust was so strong it ripped it right out of the ground, straight up over my truck and onto the van!

I feel your pain bud!! I was in the middle of putting up a 10ft by 20ft portable garage when a HUGE storm came rolling in. I had the garage anchored in the ashphalt. I drilled the ground and inserted anchors, I had the sides and the roof up and was racing against time to put the front and back on when the storm came. The storm pulled the whole garage out of the ground sending it flying over an 8 ft fence into a tree then crashing to the ground about 30 feet away. As I ran to my vette to move it one of the polls came flying at me hitting and cracking my mirror and bouncing of my fender. It turns out the winds were the highest winds measured since the 70's they were 125km/hr!! I too had to clean a crumpled mess of metal, it was so bad it tore the welds apart from the structure. I should have just left up the skeleton and let the storm pass but inpatient me put up the sides and roof creating a huge parachute!! Lesson learned patience is everything!!!

Yea! I cant believe it! the gust that blew it away was so strong it broke welds in the frame, and a few of the 12 inch anchors are still in the ground, and it was the feet that broke!!

It could be worse I guess, I heard a woman in Yorkton was Killed by the same thing, but It landed on her not a VAN!

Wind is amazing, the damage it causes, I was in Stone Bridge yesterday and I bet half of the new houses have the shingles ruined. It was quite a sight!

Brent

Yeah, it was brutal. I also at some point wanted one of those portable garages but they always seem to fly away, not only Brett's. It seems we get Biblical type of disasters..high winds, lots of grasshoppers, lots of rain when we get it, or drought, etc... at least no earthquakes!

Nevertheless, I hope after all the rain we are supposed to get this week, it will make room for us to take the cars out over the weekend!!!

Yea! I cant believe it! the gust that blew it away was so stong it broke welds in the frame, and a few of the 12 inch anchors are still in the ground, and it was the feet that broke!

Now that you mention it mine did the same thing. The anchors stayed in the ground and the plastic bases broke off them. I was actually inside of it when the storm was going on it all happened so fast and I had to make sure everything inside it didnt blow away. It got to the point where it was me taking a pole off the head or making a run for it. Good thing I ran for better shelter. :rofl:

Damage Report

Well here is the damage report for Riley's two sheds.

Corvette shed. Still in ground. Zippers seem to be ok. A few rips in the tarp where poles and corners are. Overall the threes spikes per leg, the ground screws, the rebar anchors, the ratchet strap bracing, the 2x4 cross beams, and the angle wire held on pretty well.

Chevelle shed (Chevelle not in it). Still in ground. One zipper completely screwed (the one that was already ripping). Few rips in tarp like other shed. Again the anchoring devices seemed to work well. Had to run a strap through the bottom of the door to keep it down. Without the cross strap in the front the shed moves a lot side to side. Put it back up whe I got home to see it. Over all not to bad besides the zipper.

Side notes:

-Missing siding on the garage
-Door on garden shed broke open and needs fixing
-Truck box cover I had blew across the yard and broke (don't worry it was made from recycled wood)
-Tarp on my boat is shredded
-A few odds and ends blew away but nothing else major.

That was one windy day!!

Highway was interesting going home.

T

I was wondering how the sheds made out in the wind. I wonder if the tarp ripping would be covered under warranty or denied as an act of God. I'm glad I switched most of the lower nuts to nylon lock washers. $5 of insurance against them working loose and having the sheds fly apart.

Now I am glad I over braced everything.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.