Mar 22, 2012
Calgary
VetteCoins
Car
2002 Z06
so finally found some one who wanted to purchase my vette today and all at once a car i've never had trouble with s**t the bed. Rad cracked, I have a warning in the info centre that says service column lock and the battery wont hold charge. Just wondering is the column lock thing is cause the battery has died a couple times.wondering if it just needs a new battery to make the message vamoose or i will actually have to fix, n the rad obviously new rad :/ sux but i already pulled out just need to get a new one.

hmmm did the ol forum search, people have had the column lock thing befor but lots of differnt sytoms ranging from car stalls when put in reverse to disconected battery and was fixed to there is a recall for it?

The car stalling is because of the fuel cut at 2mph. Had this happen to me in the driveway. I installed a column lock bypass from thunder racing and tuned out the fuel cut with hptuner. Problem solved.

The recall is expired and was useless anyway.

Is your steering column actually locked up?

Low voltage can aggravate it but its basically just a crap design on chevys part. Listen to manny and get a CLB. For the 50 bucks its worth the piece of mind. 20 mins to install its easy.

On a seperate note, have you battery load tested. Sounds like you need a new one.
[mob][/mob]

Low voltage can aggravate it but its basically just a crap design on chevys part. Listen to manny and get a CLB. For the 50 bucks its worth the piece of mind. 20 mins to install its easy.

On a seperate note, have you battery load tested. Sounds like you need a new one.
[mob][/mob]

I have taught you well grasshopper :)

Yea battery was shot I knew this. Already got new, ordered a new end cap for my rad. Cant I just pull it out? How does the bypass work it bypass the sensing circuit or what, like how does it affect what the ecu sees

It's part of the BCM from my understanding so there is nothing that can be done to get around this damn problem. The issue is that the computer sends a signal to check if the locking pin is retracted as soon as you hit ACC with the key. If it senses that the pin has not retracted, it thinks your steering is locked and puts up the service column lock code. The reason why it could be due to a low battery is that there is not enough power to activate the relays fast enough to tell the computer the pin is retracted causing the error. If your steering wheel does not lock when you pull the key out, your car had the recall performed and if you get the service column lock message, it won't let you drive over 2mph (unless someone plugged a tuner into your car and raised the fuel cut off speed.) I had this happen and tried charging the battery. I pulled fuse #10 and waiting 10 minutes and all the other stuff to try and get around it. Eventually I ordered my CLB from Corvettes of Houston, installed it and it worked. I spend two weeks trying to get around the issue instead of ordering a $50 part and 30 minutes of installation time so my advice would be to order the part and install it or sell the car fast while it is working.:D

http://www.canadiancorvetteforums.c...3-c5-clb-install-service-column-lock-fix.html

Lol I'm working on sell the at fast. N mine doesn't lock up with key out but work fine with key in? Possible voltage was to low to engage solinoid properly but high enough for sensing circuit to see it didn't activate?

Beauty. You may have just been the victim of a low battery.

PS, you better get your butt to Saskatoon this summer. Hopefully our Thursday night meets will fire up real soon... And don't forget about Cruise Weekend!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.