Jan 28, 2010
Penticton British columbia
VetteCoins
Car
here is the deal.. my grand father passed away two years ago when i was 14, and he was a car enthusiast. he owned an antique MG midget,2005 mustang gt and finaly his year 2000 corvette. since the only people left to deal with the cars were my mom and widowed grandmother they simply stayed in storage. anyways now that that i am old enough to drive and i now know it isn't good for cars to just sit in storage im looking at getting the vette going again. it has not been started for roughly one and a half years, so i am quite hesitant to even try turning it over. so basically to cut to the chase im wondering if any of you even think i should try to fire it up and if not what should i do in terms of maintenance before starting it. i was thinking changing the oil, putting fresh gas in it and checking the tire pressure and charging the battery . any help or opinions here would be greatly appreciated. i simply dont want my grandfathers favorite car to sit and rott.

here is the deal.. my grand father passed away two years ago when i was 14, and he was a car enthusiast. he owned an antique MG midget,2005 mustang gt and finaly his year 2000 corvette. since the only people left to deal with the cars were my mom and widowed grandmother they simply stayed in storage. anyways now that that i am old enough to drive and i now know it isn't good for cars to just sit in storage im looking at getting the vette going again. it has not been started for roughly one and a half years, so i am quite hesitant to even try turning it over. so basically to cut to the chase im wondering if any of you even think i should try to fire it up and if not what should i do in terms of maintenance before starting it. i was thinking changing the oil, putting fresh gas in it and checking the tire pressure and charging the battery . any help or opinions here would be greatly appreciated. i simply dont want my grandfathers favorite car to sit and rott.

Hey John, sorry to hear about your grandfather . Looks like he was an enthusiast . Even though the vette has been in storage for 2 years you should be able to just start it . I would not drive it too far with out changing the oil . Once it has been start change the oil and fill up the gas tank , and add some staybil (fuel stablizer) .The battery will most likely be dead, so you will need a new to get it started. If you need any help please do not hesitate to contact me 519-240-2601

Thx
[email protected]

I don't see any problem with starting it. Check all the fluids first. And like mentioned, don't go far without changing some oil. Fuel probably will burn crappy but if the tank isn't full you can blend it with new and it should run ok. You may also want to try a bottle of octane boost in the old fuel. Make sure the battery is recharged before you try. Good Luck. I see a future vette lover comin out of the woodworks.

T

welcome to the forum, i think that you should have no problem, Penticton is probably one of the best climates for a Corvette so everything but the battery should be fine, bet your Grandfather made sure of that! Sorry for your loss of your grampa, just make sure you take Gramma out for that 1st ride! Keep us posted..... and almost forgot, if the battery is dead the computer will need to "relearn" some of the programs, any GM garage will be able to help you with the procedure....Good luck

Be prepared to run it long enough to burn off any condensation produced during the warm up cycle. Although not warming it up all the way once or twice will not cause any issues,it is a good procedure to practice. I am a firm believer of storing your car for the winter,don't start it till spring when you are prepared to drive it,while others like to start it periodically. Just starting a car and running it does not really give the engine a chance to completely warm and burn off internal moisture, as well as in the exhaust system. Good luck with the cars and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss as well, sounds like he was a pretty cool guy. He probably knew what he was doing when he stored his cars so besides what the guys have suggested, check tire pressure, he may have over-inflated them to prevent flatspotting.
Welcome to the forum, you'll learn a lot from these guys, they're a pretty bright bunch.

Don't fire until

Change or check and charge battery

Add stabil and about 15-20 lit of fresh gas

Disable ignition (spark)and roll over until you have oil pressure !!!!!

This engine will have no protective coating of oil on it's internal parts and should be well lubricated before starting.:nono:

It there a fuse to disable the fuel pump so it doesn't put gas in the engine? Or how do you disable the ignition? Would disabling the fuel be better as the engine could flood if the injectors were still firing but no spark was happening to burn it up?

Some one can confirm

I think with spark disabled the fuel pump won't actuate.(ECM controlled)
Can someone confirm this
I did this every spring for 10 years on my 66 427 / 425 horse car with no excess fuel problems but it was carbureted of course.

I do that as well on my Chevelle. It takes a while for the bowls to fill and by that time I have oil pressure. I have no idea how to do this on a C5 and I would like to know if it is easy to do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.