Mar 20, 2011
thorold
VetteCoins
Car
My local dealership says to replace the balljoints on a c5,you must replace the whole control arm, and that they can't be pressed out and replaced. They don't even sell just the balljoint itself. Are they lying or telling the truth? If so, why can't I press in new ones?

My local dealership says to replace the balljoints on a c5,you must replace the whole control arm, and that they can't be pressed out and replaced. They don't even sell just the balljoint itself. Are they lying or telling the truth? If so, why can't I press in new ones?

I can"t stand crooks , as soon as they see you with a vette , they think your dumb and made of money . I can do the install for you and even get the parts . Just let me know :D

Ball joint links :

I buy from these guys all the time
RockAuto Parts Catalog

I can"t stand crooks , as soon as they see you with a vette , they think your dumb and made of money . I can do the install for you and even get the parts . Just let me know :D

Ball joint links :

I buy from these guys all the time
RockAuto Parts Catalog

The car doesn't need ball joints right now. But with 119000km on the clock I'm sure it will be coming up. The reason I asked is when I first bought the car almost 5 years ago, I slid it into a curb, and had to replace every piece of suspension on the drivers side. When I collected the parts from them I noticed the control arms were undamaged. When I went back and confronted them on it, they said the balljoints were "stretched" and needed to be replaced. So I asked told them they should have just replaced the balljoint then and give me the money back for the parts I didn't need. They said they only sell the entire a-arm and balljoint as an assembly, and they won't refund me cause the work is already done. So basically I just wanted someone to confirm that their full of sh*t. They were lol. At the time I didn't know anyone else to take it too.

It's worth the drive to Cambridge ...

Oh ya i know...me and manny met already, he worked on my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever you need for your vette, just go see Manny, get it done right and avoid the BS! from general repairs, and basic stuff, to whatever you can dream of! Best in this country:canada:

You know, that is funny because I went to get my oil changed and they said that the oil is part of the motor and I would have to replace the whole engine.

Oh God.....you mean I probably don't need to replace my GS cuz I have a flat tire?
I thought it sounded a 'little' strange.
I bet if I go back and complain they'll tell me the 'truth' : that I need only a new chassis and drivetrain.

What a relief!

C.:driving:

I have never heard that the ball joints can't be pressed out. In fact I've done it many times on my cars. Sometimes there are rivets that you have to grind the heads off as is the case in my c4.

He's trying to sell you the complete assembly it makes the job a lot easier.

I have never heard that the ball joints can't be pressed out. In fact I've done it many times on my cars. Sometimes there are rivets that you have to grind the heads off as is the case in my c4.

He's trying to sell you the complete assembly it makes the job a lot easier.

Yes and no , even though most are either press or bolt in ( or factory rivits ) , there are some that require you to replace the entire control arm .
For example the Caddy Escalde uppers are done as a entire assembly .

It is in some cases less expensive to replace an entire assembly .

However the case in point ( C5 Corvette ) was total BS .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.