Oct 4, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Corvette Z06
Province
BC
Just got the sad news from my tire shop that Continental had discontinued their ExtremeContact sports in 295/35/18, my order was cancelled and refunded. They were one of the most well priced summer performance tires with decent treadwear for C5Z corvette. Does anyone know what the alternatives are for my C5Z?

PMC Tires still shows the Extreme Contact Sport so might be worth seeing if the have stock.

The only other thing close in price is the Nitto Invo but I don't think they're nearly as good as the Continentals. You might have to go up to a Michelin PSS or PS2. Unfortunately that seems to be the way of the world in the smaller diameter.

It's a problem on a few cars with wide tires from the mid to late 90s. The tires will probably end up becoming niche expensive, may have to rely on buying tires before you need them when available, so changing wheels to something with more available tires can become a thing.

Reactions: nascar03
PMC Tires still shows the Extreme Contact Sport so might be worth seeing if the have stock.

The only other thing close in price is the Nitto Invo but I don't think they're nearly as good as the Continentals. You might have to go up to a Michelin PSS or PS2. Unfortunately that seems to be the way of the world in the smaller diameter.

That where I got the tires from, PMCtires told me they are no longer available:(. I might just go with a set of Nitto NT05 even thought its only 200aa tread wear.

Oh yeah I missed the NT05, they'd probably be better than the Invos. What about the Mickey Thompson Street Comp? They have a tread rating of 300. Tread ratings are like likes, damn lies, and battery engineers (or stereo wattage) as there is no industry standard, each manufacturer sets their own testing criteria, so are only a vague indicator.

Reactions: Millennium Jade
a note of caution re tires from outside Ontario. [ or even in Ont].
Check the build date on the sidewall.
Friend got what he thought was a great deal; tires arrived; build date
was 2 years earlier !!
To be clear......you want something built in 2020. eg. 2720. Translates
into week 27 of the year 2020.
My friends tires were stamped, say, 27i8. So 2 years old when 'new'
to him.
So, check it out.

Tony

Tony I agree about the date codes, my "new" tires are probably six months apart but it seems many tire manufactures are essentially building to order. I got my fronts no problem but the rears 295/35/18 had to be built.

When nothing is available I guess you take what you can get.

Reactions: nascar03
I purchased a set of Firestone 500's in St Catharine's, Niagara Tire and battery, and was about a few dollars more than buying online, plus free mounting and had the alignment done at the same time. So that to me is very convenient if anything goes wrong with the tires, plus I got the road hazard warranty for an extra 25 dollars. My point is by ordering them online you can get a great deal most of the time, but if something goes wrong, its a hassle. The tires are nice and sticky, very little noise if any, and the car handles great.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.