Do you actually know the answer or is answering a question with a question the only point? Sorry man but that isn't how we fly around here. It sounds sarcastic.

Why aren't transverse leafs universally used in race cars? The point here is that the factory determined that performance was sufficient with the leaf rather than the best that it could be with more expensive coil overs.

I don't know, I have wondered why Corvette stuck with the transverse leaf springs too as people always state how much better the handling is when they switch to coils. My only guess is that it's part of Corvette's heritage and works well enough. I don't see it being a cost thing as ordering 20,000 sets of coil overs has got to reduce the price of the components. I imagine if Corvette had coil overs and transverse leaf springs were an aftermarket thing, they would be expensive compared to the coil overs.

My opinion is that not everyone is looking to squeak out every last drop of performance from their car and the current set up does well for 99% of the owners so that is why Chevrolet sticks with what they have.

Like I said, just my opinion, I don't know the reasons behind the suspension design.

Be patient, I have attempted to get the assistance from one of the designers of the C5. Hopefully he will answer me back and we will have the reasons behind the transverse leafs.

Ask anyone that has ever done the switch to coilovers , and they will tell you that the difference is night and day . Some even say the best mod they have ever done .

I received a PM from Evil-Twin (Bill) on the southern forum. The reason for the transverse leaf springs is due to cost, weight (and remember this is weight in 1995 when the car was being designed), and ease of manufacturing. Their goal for the C5 was to keep the car light by cutting weight where ever they could and to keep it in budget. The transverse leaf met this criteria. This is not to say that they built a cheap car, they just put more money into the things that required it and less into other areas (such as the stereo) to make a car that could compete with the worlds best for a price that most could afford. Obviously, this means there are areas that can be improved by the aftermarket (especially 16 years later as technology has advanced) but the base design of the car met their goals. I really appreciate Bill for answering my question as it is not very often you get to talk to the designer of the vehicle you drive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.