Good to know. Do you mind sharing what code you had and how it was repaired?
Mine was giving me 1214 & 1217 & No Comm. Also showing the three dash lights for ABS, Traction Control & (forgot the third!)
I removed the module and sent to ABSFIXER, they turn around in one day, so 1 week down and 1 week back. They resolder as required and replace the relay if required. I also had them install surge suppression while they had it apart.

I watched an episode of Wheeler Dealers on Motortrend & they were flipping a 2002 Z06.They were getting the ABS codes(Don't remember which code) & they pulled the module & brought it to a vette shop & they showed how they repair the unit.All they did was, open up the module (6 screws) un-soldered a relay & put in a new one ( $10.00 ) & re-soldered it.The kid that was doing the repair made it look easy

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
I watched an episode of Wheeler Dealers on Motortrend & they were flipping a 2002 Z06.They were getting the ABS codes(Don't remember which code) & they pulled the module & brought it to a vette shop & they showed how they repair the unit.All they did was, open up the module (6 screws) un-soldered a relay & put in a new one ( $10.00 ) & re-soldered it.The kid that was doing the repair made it look easy

You are correct. I saw that also. It is not the actual soldering/repair that intimidates, it's getting that darn module apart without breaking something. I tried for a half hour and decided I better send it out before I broke it and had to buy another one!

They made it look too easy. The way they diagnosed the relay issue left me wondering (how without a schematic of the circuit you can just use a meter to determine what part is faulty). What if it was something other than the relay, for example. They were lucky to know of a local shop that was familiar with the circuit and had parts on hand. I also noted that they were not charged any labor to diagnose and fix the problem so that is why the cost was only $10 (just the part itself likely).

You are correct. I saw that also. It is not the actual soldering/repair that intimidates, it's getting that darn module apart without breaking something. I tried for a half hour and decided I better send it out before I broke it and had to buy another one!

Last edited:
Yes, we have to remind ourselves that it was a TV show, with limited time to show the complete situation. The later C5's are notorious for cold solder joints in the EBCM and the relay is simply used to turn power on/off. If the relay contacts are confirmed with a ohmmeter to have a resistance higher than expected, it's simple to replace at that point...or for peace of mind! In most instances, just desoldering/resoldering the 5 relay pins fixes the problem. In my instance, the issues would appear after a long run and heat soak which indicated to me the cold solder intermittent points (No Comm). I was fortunate that fixed my issues. In another instance it may take a electronics technician to find an intermittent part elsewhere...but at what cost. May be cheaper to buy a reconditioned module...?? The US Forum has a tremendous documentation on the subject with detailed instructions on how to do the repair yourself.

Last edited:

I agree with you for sending it out. You really can't beat the price they charge to rebuild the module. When & if my Unit ever gets the codes you listed I will definitely look to one of those sites to have it rebuilt.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.