Beta
Jun 14, 2017
Port Hope, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2004 Z16 #123
Province
ON
My car has thrown this code twice in the last week. It says secondary air injection system ( bank 2). This is the first time the car has had the check engine light come on. Any ideas what can be causing this?

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
From another forum. Not sure how helpful it is.

The general problem is with the secondary air system check valves. There are two, one on the driver's side of the engine, and one behind the driver's side engine head.
Guess which one is the general problem one! Right, the difficult to reach one. I was happy last year to hear about the WD 40 trick. By spraying the WD into the system and running it a bit, it frees up the stuck valve and the code does not re-occur. If you do a search you will see a lot on this, even someone has dissected one.

Well the code came back last night, I am going to try more WD-40. If it comes back again I will have to change the check valves.
If I keep driving it could it be damaging anything, or just affecting gas mileage?

Maybe it will just have more emissions? Found this explanation of how it may work:

"This system pumps fresh air into exhaust system during cold starts to feed oxygen and exhaust gases. This ensures a more complete burn of harmful emissions – hydrocarbons. After about minute, the system turns itself off."

So if it is stuck shut then it would not let clean air into the exhaust during this phase?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.