James

2 You're 10
Aug 26, 2009
Pickering, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2011 ZR1
i have a clicking kinda noise that is coming from the rear of my car, passenger side (or so it sounds)

keep in mind that i can't chase the sound since it only does it when i am in a parking lot from backing up to driving forward.

not sure if it's a u joint or not.

anyone have this happen? give me any idea's how to chase it down?

My only guess is that a CV joint between the diff and wheel is going bad. Are you familiar with the clicking that front wheel drive cars make when they are turning and the CV's are going bad? Does it sound like that? I think U joints make more of a clunk when going from reverse to forward when they go bad. Maybe have someone beside the car in a parking lot to see if they can pin point the noise.

i have a clicking kinda noise that is coming from the rear of my car, passenger side (or so it sounds)

keep in mind that i can't chase the sound since it only does it when i am in a parking lot from backing up to driving forward.

not sure if it's a u joint or not.

anyone have this happen? give me any idea's how to chase it down?

If your clicking resembles that of a bicycle when its going forward and you start pedaling backwards, I think I may know what it is...sounds weird but it happened to me:

Try re-adjusting the lug nuts....that "clicking" is very common with aluminum wheels...especially if you have not re-torqued them for a while or you just did something with them and have not re-torqued them after 100 to 150 kms (like any MIDAS or dealership would recommend). By the way, aluminum wheels should be torqued to around 90-100 lbs.

Try it out, let me know, I had that issue a while back and it was driving me INSANE.

I found this at 2carpros.com

Loose Wheel Lug Nuts: The lug nuts on your car are used to fasten the rim and tire to the axle. It is recommended that the lug nuts are tightened to a specific manufacturer torque specification. If these lug nuts become or are left loose they can make a clicking noise while the car is in motion. To check for this condition use a lug wrench equipped with the correct size for your particular lug nut.

been busy the last couple of days, furnace's turning on so have to go fixing them

interesting point, you know i just changed the rims again, and haven't paid much attention (mostly cause the windows are closed with the colder days)

i'll take a drive today and test it out

and yes, does remind me of a front wheel drive cv clicking sound

been busy the last couple of days, furnace's turning on so have to go fixing them

interesting point, you know i just changed the rims again, and haven't paid much attention (mostly cause the windows are closed with the colder days)

i'll take a drive today and test it out

and yes, does remind me of a front wheel drive cv clicking sound

Well let me know...knowing you recently changed your rims and probably did not re-torque them 100 km afterwards, I am getting confident thats what it is.

I hope it is loose lugs as opposed to....wait a tick, just looking at some photos and stuff, it appears that the C4 uses u-joints instead of cv's. So, they should not tick like that as far as I know...(others here will let you know how little I know) and I hope it is just loose lugs.

i took the time to re-torque all rims and still have it. thinking it might be a u joint. there is quite a few of them under there, don't think it'll be fun finding out which one.

seems to only do it under load, when it's up in the air on a hoist we couldn't get the noise at all.