Jun 27, 2017
Portage la Prairie, MB
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Coupe
Province
MB
When I flew in to Moncton and picked up my 2003 sight unseen, I thought the Shale interior was going to show dirt really bad. The car had 50,000 on it and I tried to tell myself it still looked pretty good. Well 8,000 kms later I can't convince myself of that anymore. Boots in and out and luggage in and out, is taking it's toll. It's not the brand new Shale color anymore, not even close. Especially in front of the seats. There will be a new plan once it's clean, but getting it clean is the question. Does anyone know of a tried and true product that will clean my carpet back to new?

I will be watching this thread Bixter44 cause short of professionally cleaned,I haven't had much luck with carpet shampoos.... maybe @Toxix will see this and have some suggestions.... Detailing is his profession and he knows his stuff......

I rented one of those rug doctor machines to clean some wall to wall in my house.
I also used it on my car interior. Seats and floor. Worked great. They looked new. Used the small hand attachment that comes with the rental.
Dried fairly quick too.

Reactions: Roarry
There are two great cleaning suggestions already above. Try a message to Toxix (Elton). Try the rented machine.
I wish you tremendous success on this. I read that you have a plan after ...
My message is for recommending weathertech.ca once it's clean.
Protect your floors and even the cargo area with the laser fit mats. You get what you pay for.
Remove them for Show & Shine and then put them back in for your ride back home with your trophy.
I just checked and weathertech.ca has 2003 Coupe protection ... laser fit floors & a cargo mat too.
Awesome products (mine protects my C7 from sand from the beach). The cargo protection goes without saying that it's a must !
Then hopefully no more carpet cleaning and maybe just a vacuum ... Cheers!

Reactions: MikeysZ06
I was hoping I could go with Husky Liners since I am annoyed with Weathertech. My Trailbalzer is outfitted front to back with Weathertech Floor Liners. They fit perfect. In my '05 GMC Sierra however, not so much. I tried to email them about it but they never returned my email. I have since gone to Husky Liners with it. I just checked Husky liners and their selection doesn't include my C5, so Weathertech it is. Black will be a nice contrast with the rest of the Shale interior.

I never thought of Weathertech until were almost home from the trip. Thought it might look like I am turning it into a truck. But after your words of encouragement, I will get it done. Thanks.

I just searched Corvette Depot.just to see if they had Weathertech and their price. I think I can do better locally. But then I saw Lloyds Mats. More money, but I am a sucker for having logos on stuff. Their function would be the same as the Weathertech plan in black. Just not sure it would work as well.

Last edited:
Just a thought. An option. A while back, I used one of the products meant to clean dog related stains off carpets. Can't remember the brand. But it goes on as a spray, turns to powder, and then gets vacuumed off. Any pet store, or Walmart would have a version of this.
It really worked well.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
We own a Bissel carpet cleaning machine with the hand spot cleaning attachment. It works quite well, but I recommend removing your seats to do a thorough job however. Also, do it on a hot sunny day so you can leave your doors open to aid in drying. I have removed the carpet for cleaning on some past vehicle restorations, and have been amazed on the results.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Lots of good information here.
The rental rug doctor is a good idea but a bit of a hassle.
If you think its going to need some heavy duty action I'd suggest going the rental route or even better, going to a detailer who is well equipped with a steam cleaner, drill brush and extractor.

I've had good and basic success even from Folex. Folex is probably one of the best upholstery + carpet cleaners out there. Coupled with a stiff bristle brush, elbow grease and a couple of microfiber towels you should have some good success removing it and renewing the colour. Thankfully, Folex is availble at Canadian Tire, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc.

I love my Weathetech mats, I have had them for years in all of my vehicles. Try reaching out to them again or give them a call. They have swapped a two liners for me that are curling up/falling apart; As soon as you mention that it doesn't feel safe they should get back to fairly quickly.

Thanks for all the replies. There is no Rug Doctor Rental in town. I can borrow a Bissell Carpet Cleaning Machine. I will try it out on the floor mats first. I would rather clay bar the paint than clean carpet. The last time I cleaned the carpet in the house, I must have been a little too aggressive working out the stain. Made the carpet look fuzzy after. And then there is a detailer an hour away.

My carpets are clean again. I couldn't ignore Turbozig's suggestion to pull the seats out. But my back isn't up to that so I went the professional route and let them pull the seats out. Once I found Lloyd Mats I couldn't resist doing the whole car in Black Ultimat with the 50th logo. The contrast looks pretty good.

I am glad that Toxix mentioned Folex. That stuff is great. Hard to resist since I am in Canadian Tire 3 times a week. For a couple of spots in the cargo area, thanks to suitcases, I used Folex as directed, and it cleaned up instantly..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.