Crash... emergency.. tomato.. tomahto.... but obviously a good landing because???

1627316792904.png

Thanks Fred. :thumbs:

This is the story of the Hughes H1 Racer

The Hughes H-1 racer, designed by Howard Hughes and Richard Palmer and built by Glenn Odekirk, was developed to be the fastest landplane in the world. On September 13, 1935, Hughes achieved this design goal by flying the H-1 to a new world speed record of 567 kilometers (352 miles) per hour at Santa Ana, California. Also known as the Hughes 1B, the H-1 was designed with two sets of wings: a short set with a span of 7.6 meters (25 feet) for speed record flight, and a long set with a span of 9.2 meters (31 feet, 9 inches) for transcontinental flight. The aircraft as it is exhibited here is equipped with the long set.

Hughes broke the transcontinental U.S. speed record in the H-l on January 19, 1937, flying from Los Angeles to Newark, New Jersey, in 7 hours, 28 minutes, and 25 seconds. His average speed for the 4,000-kilometer (2,490-mile) flight was 535 kilometers (332 miles) per hour.

Reactions: 12cents
From the control tower..." ummm, Billy, its wheels down and nose up for landing, just sayin'"

Have a buddy in Tennesee has a Mooney. Few years ago he had to do some repairs when he came in for a landing and forgot to put the wheels down... Said he heard the warning alarm chirping and everything and it just never registered on him what was wrong. The prop hit the asphalt and then he knew... pulled back on the stick and got it into the air again and actually got it landed. He was surprised at how smooth it still flew with the ends of the prop all folded in... Other than the repair bill for an engine rebuild, he was damn lucky. Hasn't done it since...lol...

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Have a buddy in Tennesee has a Mooney. Few years ago he had to do some repairs when he came in for a landing and forgot to put the wheels down... Said he heard the warning alarm chirping and everything and it just never registered on him what was wrong. The prop hit the asphalt and then he knew... pulled back on the stick and got it into the air again and actually got it landed. He was surprised at how smooth it still flew with the ends of the prop all folded in... Other than the repair bill for an engine rebuild, he was damn lucky. Hasn't done it since...lol...
Old saying in aviation, “those who have and those who will”.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
My brother flies a Cherokee, had to have his engine redone..... and you think Corvettes are expensive!?!

Lol... I know... I think he told me was about $40k US time he was done getting a new crankshaft and engine rebuild...
Well when the Vette dies on the highway you coast to the shoulder, kick the tires and call for a tow. In the dark somewhere between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie, over Lake Superior, when the Lycoming (or Continental) give up the ghost, you are now quickly becoming aviations version of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

I can attest to knowing every normal sound the power plant up front makes and wondering about the sounds I dont recognize.

Well when the Vette dies on the highway you coast to the shoulder, kick the tires and call for a tow. In the dark somewhere between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie, over Lake Superior, when the Lycoming (or Continental) give up the ghost, you are now quickly becoming aviations version of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

I can attest to knowing every normal sound the power plant up front makes and wondering about the sounds I dont recognize.
I was sitting beside the pilot in a DeHavilland Beaver with floats, way up in Northern Manitoba a few years back. It was a windy, rainy morning and we were about 40 minutes in the air when the engine coughs and bucks. Never seen a pilot act so fast in my life. He did several things that I have no idea what they were and it never did it again but when we got down on the lake he was removing panels and checking lots. I mentioned it to him and he said "Oh. You noticed that did you"... Like duh... Said it was likely just some icing up in the carburetor... Guess he wasn't too concerned cause he loaded a group up from the camp and off he went again... Made me raise my eyebrows though... lol...