644832bd7ba6e903d8e672e1b5fbe741.jpg

Interesting fact. The paint on the forward portion of belly is designed on purpose to imitate the canopy and the cockpit. It is specifically designed to cause momentary confusion to the opposing fighter in a dogfight as to whether the aircraft is right side up or upside down. At Mach 1 momentary indecisions can mean the difference between "radar lock" or not.

Interesting fact. The paint on the forward portion of belly is designed on purpose to imitate the canopy and the cockpit. It is specifically designed to cause momentary confusion to the opposing fighter in a dogfight as to whether the aircraft is right side up or upside down. At Mach 1 momentary indecisions can mean the difference between "radar lock" or not.
Interesting indeed...i didn't even notice that till you pointed it out.

Many years ago I was employed with Transport Canada doing Construction management for the Hamilton Airport Reconstruction.
There was a P51 there as part of the Warplane Heritage. Every time it flew everybody was down tools, and ran outside for a look and a listen. Nothing else like it.
There has been a P51 Mustang flying over Durham region quite a bit in the last few weeks. I'm guessing it is based at Oshawa Airport.
I've heard that it is privately owned.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06