This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Chirping Brakes? I think...

May 31, 2013
Newfoundland
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Vert
Alright, when i apply the brake, everything's lovely. Will stop on a dime, and give me 9 cents change. When i let off, sometimes it's fine, other times it seems as though something is sticking, ever-so-slightly... Or very lightly rubbing on something, as it makes a high pitched chirp sound in a straight line. It isn't a constant chirp, sounds like it's rotational with the wheels. And seems to be speed dependent. When i turn, seems like it goes away briefly, then comes back when i straighten up the wheel. I can step firmly on the brake, then accelerate, and all is fine, until i lightly press the brake for slowing into a corner, then the chirp often returns. I checked the pads, they're like brand new.

Halpz!

Glazed pads -- You need to do some hard stops from 60mph to take the glaze off -- or take the pads out and rough up the surface with sandpaper.

C.

As a follow up, it did seem to be the glazed or new pad issue. Put a few hundred kilometers on the car with some firm brake action occasionally, the chirp has all but disappeared. Sometimes is slightly audible, but not nearly as noticeable as before.

Thanks CCO.

Glad it worked for you (mostly) .. After another few hundred clicks give it another bedding in with some progressively harsh stops from greater speeds.

Read up on Bedding in brakes, sounds like you'll benefit from doing it again soon.

Cheers,
Colin.