We considered this at length on our trip and then spoke with people we knew along the route. all of whom dissuaded us from the thought. We were told that today's version of Rt 66 is nothing like it was only a few years back...and much less safe. So... we decided on the run across to Colorado, South through Utah with a visit to the Northern Ridge of the Grand Canyon and then down to LA through Angeles National Forest. AMAZING!!!!!!!! If it is you and the wife, booking and then staying along the ridge at the Grand Canyon is a lifes memory in itself, if only for a day or two.

IMG_1680.JPG

A run across Colorado might work just as well. We have life long friends in Colorado Springs that we could visit while passing through. There is another family in Peoria, Arizona might be another stop.l It would be a fun trip so a detour here and there along the way would be great too. You mean less safe on Route 66. In what way? I'm all for staying clear of trouble spots and is part of my reason for asking questions.

Last edited:
Yes... we did some much checking on 66 and the word that kept coming back was that it just isn't what it was; I also remember there being parts that were detoured completely out when I started planning. The Colorado route was our choice and we went from Kentucky after the NCM visit up and across via 70, whereas you would follow 80 if you came from Chicago, both coming into Boulder. We continued through Utah and then, rather than hooking South at the 15 we took the 89 South as it appeared to follow a smooth route between the Mountains. It was amazing and also was VERY much what you might seek in 66. It brings you right to the Grand Canyon Northern RIM (1 hour detour) or you can jump on the 15 to Vegas and then LA. Admittedly, we stayed very shy of Mexico...US Highway Map

If you were to take 89 South you would come into Bryce Canyon....again...amazing and, short of Jasper, the most animals we saw in any given area.

IMG_1519.JPG

We set out last fall with the intent of doing rt 66. We go on it at Pontiac, Illinois just south of Chicago, but soon found it to be in rough condition, discontinuous and slow. We skipped over, stayed off the interstates and wound our way SW to Springfield Missouri. Caught I44 then I40 across to Winslow, side trip to Grand Canyon. Then over to the Coast highway California (we caught it North of LA at a place called Morrow Bay. Coast Hwy all the way up to Vancouver. Return was Hwy 2 to Sault Ste Marie. DIstance 11,300Kms time 3 weeks, worth every minute. The old vette, ate its fuel pump on day 1, but, once fixed never missed a beat. Amazing country, long driving days. There are probably a hundred loops you could do. Pick one, change it as you go and enjoy the drive.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.