U.S. sports-car championships in Ferraris and Maseratis, and for Aston
Martin he won the 1959 24 Hours of Le Mans with British co-driver Roy
Salvadori.
Turning automaker in the 1960s, he fathered the Cobra, an Anglo-American hot
rod of crude conception but stunning effectiveness that swept the tracks of
North America and wrested a world manufacturer's title from
Ferrari................................

Carroll Shelby: 1923-2012 - Autoweek

RIP Carroll -- You were quite a guy and I was lucky enough to have sampled your accomplishments in a Shelby Mustang and of course very much enjoyed it.

I'm saddened by your passing and our loss, but we rejoice in your accomplishments and your legacy.

Kudos for doing one fine job and God bless you.

Colin.

Last edited:
RIP ,he was a great guy .

I had the ride of my life back in 66 or 67 .A true Cobra I'll never forget .Over 400 hp ,an aluminum frame and light gauge sheet metal .

OH ,he was a great one alright ,I'll miss him.

Sad day for sure, a real gentlemen...........
I don't know anyone who does not just love the lines of a classic Cobra. One of my all time favorites for sure..... I guess the price on one of these just went up another 100 K :)

No doubt Brian. Just last week I got notification from Legendary Motor Car (Milton) of an original '66 Cobra that was available and priced at $700k.
I haven't checked the listing again but I'd bet my botton $ that asking price has changed. :D

......and worth every penny.

Carroll Shelby, you're one unforgettable car nut.

ELF -- that must have been one wild ride in a car weighing in like a go-cart with a V8 engine.

Would so love to hear more about that and see pics if you have any.

Cheers......

C.

Last edited:
So tragic. A fatal blow to the automotive community. A true legend and a class act all around. Dave Despain did a great piece on him and they aired it on saturday. Worth the watch. For a guy who was almost in his 90's he was one cool mother. He made his presence known at Barrett-Jackson and on the streets worldwide with the cars he made. Very sad.

ELF -- that must have been one wild ride in a car weighing in like a go-cart with a V8 engine.

Would so love to hear more about that and see pics if you have any.

Cheers......

C.
It was a fantastic experience for a 17 year old boy ,it was the same year I got to third base with Jannie Frost .Sorry but I don't have photos of either.

It was a fantastic experience for a 17 year old boy ,it was the same year I got to third base with Jannie Frost .Sorry but I don't have photos of either.

No pics but unforgettable just the same.
That was a banner year for you.:D

At 17 I was still stuck on 'second base' and riding a bike.:rofl:

C.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread