View attachment 11920 View attachment 11921 Carbs can be frustrating to rebuild..... but certainly not impossible.
I'm not a real mechanic but I stayed in a Holiday Inn once!

You are correct about diagrams available..take lots of pictures as you go.
The only issue would be rebushing of the shafts to stop air leakage, and possibly some machining.
There are lots of kits out there and probably many you-tube vids.
I rebuilt my first Holley a few years ago.. I took it step-by-step with help from the interweb.
I built a stand before I started, to hold the carb body and parts as I disassembled the unit.
When I refired the car it started and ran great... only needed minor tuning.

I think you should be looking at the choke assembly and possibly the accelerator pump functions.

Good luck.

Graham

This is an awesome setup for organizing a carb build.

Ed

Reactions: nascar03
I have a 1976 Stingray. The carburetor was rebuilt. Now the car does not run unless I pour some gas in the top of carburetor until the car warms up and then it runs fine. What would the problem be with the carburetor settings?

If you have a quadrajet and it works fine on warm starts, its exactly what other have mentioned...leaky fuel bowl...they are know for it. As some had stated, check for squirts from accelerator pump when cold...if y pur get 1 or 2 squirts its not enough...choke should be set to just close at flange this time of year...heres a trick to get it started without priming if you get a squirt or two from accelerator pump. Get in car pump 4 or 5 times....turn over...let it catch(hopefully)...dont touch gas...let it stall amd hopefully fuel pump will get enough gas back into bowl...once stalls..pump 5-6 more times...whirl for 2 seconds...if doesnt catch...pump 5-6x...
Whirl for 2 seconds...repeat again if doesnt catch..they can be such a paint with leaky bowls...its the plugs in carb failing...rebuilding yourself can fix it if you replace the lead plugs.

If you have a quadrajet and it works fine on warm starts, its exactly what other have mentioned...leaky fuel bowl...they are know for it. As some had stated, check for squirts from accelerator pump when cold...if y pur get 1 or 2 squirts its not enough...choke should be set to just close at flange this time of year...heres a trick to get it started without priming if you get a squirt or two from accelerator pump. Get in car pump 4 or 5 times....turn over...let it catch(hopefully)...dont touch gas...let it stall amd hopefully fuel pump will get enough gas back into bowl...once stalls..pump 5-6 more times...whirl for 2 seconds...if doesnt catch...pump 5-6x...
Whirl for 2 seconds...repeat again if doesnt catch..they can be such a paint with leaky bowls...its the plugs in carb failing...rebuilding yourself can fix it if you replace the lead plugs.

JB weld on the lead plugs are a proper and professional fix for that problem. Lot's of articles online, or buy yourself a Quadrajet repair book from Mopac or eBay. It explains this in detail.

T

Thanks San,

Ed

I was having the same problem with my 71 stock 350 with the stock Rochester , if the car sat for 30 mins or more it took a lot of cranking and pumping the gas pedal to get it to start. Once running it ran great. The problem turned out to be the $3 fuel filter on the carb body. The little paper filter has a built in check valve and it was allowing the fuel to siphon back out of the carb bowl. Changed that filter and starts first time now.
BTW, IMHO if the fuel pump was bad the car would not run right at any point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.