From a Polish manufacturer of carbon fiber (CF) components (Dexcraft), some interesting info I found during my continued "should I or shouldn't I" debate on whether to purchase the ZO6/ZO7 CF rims:

Carbon Fiber Composites: properties | manufacturing methods | pros and cons

And in particular their comment about this disadvantage of CF:

Although carbon fiber offers many advantages regarding its properties note that carbon composite offers poor/modest resistance to impacts – that makes it fragile compared to steel or aluminum material. Therefore details or parts exposed to impacts are made from carbon-glass fiber composites, carbon-aramide composites, carbon composites including aluminum honeycomb or a combination of these. (emphasis added)

Now to be fair, this is a 2-year old (February 2020) Dexcraft article and it doesn't look like Dexcraft manufactures CF rims. Carbon Revolution spent 5 years of R&D for the actual ZO6 rims, using durability targets that "were extremely high", according to its website. And Tadge Juechter described the CF rims being "much much stronger" than aluminum.

And for those interested, I'll finish off with the November 2020 YouTube video from Speed Phenom (Austin) showing his experience with a damaged Mustang GT500 CF rim:

It may be that whatever Austin hit with his Mustang that caused the damage was a very odd occurrence and would have similarly toasted an aluminum rim. Plus there may have been continued improvements to impact resistance for CF rims, since that Mustang rim was manufactured. Even so, the cost to replace an aluminum rim would have been far less and I suspect that's a fair warning for anyone that might buy CF rims, along with the question of their availability especially in the first year or two of the ZO6 release. In my internet travels, I found several people suggesting that CF rims should remain on the track as opposed to regular street use, where the streets offer many more unknown obstacles, some of which may be unavoidable.

It will be interesting to see if the CF rims are covered under a tire/rim warranty and if so, the premium increase for same.

Given the 41 pound unsprung weight difference, plus the better handling, it's ++ tempting to buy the CF rims. But then there's also the question of the ZO6 being set up from factory for the CF rims and potentially having to recalibrate the vehicle if switching to an aluminum rim (only if you're fussy?? or MUST this be done??) and the cost/ease of doing that.

My debate continues and it may be settled once Canadian pricing is announced...

Reactions: 12cents
Thanks tyho. I'd not considered/heard of magnesium rims and don't know if they'll make them for the C8 Z06 sizes. I Googled quickly and found a Cars Direct 2012 article (rather dated now) about magnesium rims:

and found this quote interesting:

Weight
Magnesium wheels are light wheels, much lighter than steel or aluminum wheels. That means they will give better mileage for your car because there's less weight to move. You'll also find that they're less prone to bend or buckle if you dip into a pot hole. This lighter weight requires less wheel balancing over the life of the magnesium wheels. It also translates into more responsive steering and handling, both of which are important factors in their favor. They corner very well with low profile tires.

On the downside, once your magnesium wheels do bend, they can't be straightened again. Because of this you have to be more thoughtful when you drive. The magnesium alloy might be durable but it does have its limits, and if you don't pay proper attention to the road you could lose your investment.

So it looks like there's no 100% solution to the "pothole menace", which isn't surprising...

Finally, I found this Litespeed Racing (2019 but updated in 2021) article about magnesium vs carbon fiber rims which certainly make the magnesium rims sound attractive:

Perhaps a self-serving sales pitch? More research is necessary but I suspect it'll turn into what you're prepared to spend and getting these "specialty rims" is likely more for those who plan to track/race their cars a great deal and shaving a second off their times means a lot to them.

I had magnesium wheels on my 2001 C5 (another Corvette ahead of its time).They were an expensive and not popular option. I like the idea and the look of the carbon fibre wheels, but I feel I would be constantly worried about damaging them and facing the associated replacement cost.

netsinah said:
I'd not considered/heard of magnesium rims
Funny, but that's where the term "Mag Wheels" comes from.

Quite right. I found this article from "magnesiumwheels.com":

With this pertinent quote:

The history of magnesium wheels begins in the 1930s. In fact the first alloy wheels were mostly magnesium while aluminum alloys were rare and presented several issues, such as low ductility. Magnesium wheels remained quite popular until the 1960s when more practical aluminum alloys were developed.

Ya gotta love all these "car tidbits" a person learns from these Corvette Forums!

Ya gotta love all these "car tidbits" a person learns from these Corvette Forums!
You just gotta be old enough and full of useless information! ;)

Something to consider, I checked with a Fountain Tire dealership in Northern Alberta. They will not do any service on Carbon Fiber wheels. Not sure if that is just their policy or if it is franchise wide.
I asked my dealer the same question that if wheels are OEM they should have a Hunter Revolution tire machine and drew blank stares. I feel that GM should force dealers to acquire the proper tools if they're an authorized Z06 seller

I just called the Fountain Tire location in Edmonton (Riverbend location) that changed out my OEM C8 Stingray rims for aftermarket rims about a year ago. They have the Hunter Revolution "touchless" machine and they can handle rims as wide as 13" (the wider rear rims on the Z06) but the owner isn't familiar with the Z06 carbon fiber rims and will research them and call me back. I agree with Gilles27 that GM dealers should be able to "service what they sell" and I think it a good game plan to ensure you have someplace to deal with these rims, before buying them...

netsinah said:
I'd not considered/heard of magnesium rims

Quite right. I found this article from "magnesiumwheels.com":

With this pertinent quote:

The history of magnesium wheels begins in the 1930s. In fact the first alloy wheels were mostly magnesium while aluminum alloys were rare and presented several issues, such as low ductility. Magnesium wheels remained quite popular until the 1960s when more practical aluminum alloys were developed.

I didn't know the Blackwings had magnesium wheels

I will not be opting for these. My Z will be a daily. I can’t imagine my reaction if I damaged one and had to replace it out of pocket.
I'm already going to spec my car with Z07 package all comes down to pricing for wheels, I know it's wishful thing at 10 to 12k extra but need to set a cut off price. I have never considered wheel and tire warranty but I will with this set up

Wheel servicing all comes down to one thing......................the human doing the job. You can have the best of the best in tire mounting equipment but if the yahoo doing the job doesn't take care when mounting/dismounting tires it won't matter your wheel will get raped.

AFA servicing CF wheels having the best equipment helps but even with basic mounting/dismount equipment somebody with the experience and time to do things right can do the job and not wreck the wheel.

For those wanting more info about the carbon fiber rims made by Carbon Revolution (Australia) which can be purchased with the 2023 Z06 Z07 package, here's another and fairly recent article. Credit to Jack Baruth (Hagerty):

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread