Also for information sake:

Above engine coolant temp 100C (212F), the car will start to pull timing.
Above 125C (~260F), the car will go limp mode.

This is in addition to the IAT2 sensor reading.

More examples of a lot of air in the intercooler reservoir:

The IAT2 sensor reading your intake charge temps. Not sure what the range is, but that pulls timing even sooner as your intercooler system is required to keep this under control. A small air bubble will cause IAT2 temps to spike, a large one in the system (or the coolant is aerated), will cause cavitation in the intercooler pump and will shut it off for 3 min!

Your IAT2 will spike, your car will pull timing making boost useless.

So to summarize, on a hot day:
high ambient air temps
air in the intercooler system and/or pump cavitation safety shut off
91 octane gas

Combine these 3 aspects and you will lose a ton of power on the street, let alone be able to track the car. Tracking the car will probably induce limp mode by the 2nd hard lap.

So as expected took it to the dealer. Could not figure out. Kept the car for 3 days, and asked for threads from the forum. Acknowledged issue but said did not have to and could not order from GM as computer was not showing problem. What do I do now?

So as expected took it to the dealer. Could not figure out. Kept the car for 3 days, and asked for threads from the forum. Acknowledged issue but said did not have to and could not order from GM as computer was not showing problem. What do I do now?

Try a different dealer. Somebody over there in Ontario will know a good one with a decent service manager that actually wants to help you. Expect the guys will be letting you know here soon.

Wow I just saw you have the special Carbon edition. Very nice and rare car. Only saw 1 other one at a few meets.

Can you take a picture of your intercooler tank? It's visible from the top when looking at the passenger side right in the space between the hood and the air filter looking straight down. If it has a lot of air in it, possible a lot of air is trapped in the sc as well. Data logging with hp tuners would show if a sensor is reading way off causing power to be dialed back.

When there is this much air in the reservoir, there's a good chance there is air trapped in the top of the supercharger as on the 17+ cars the bricks are tilted up at the back.

Attachments

• image-1048543875.jpg
    image-1048543875.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: YFCvii
Try a different dealer. Somebody over there in Ontario will know a good one with a decent service manager that actually wants to help you. Expect the guys will be letting you know here soon.

Wow I just saw you have the special Carbon edition. Very nice and rare car. Only saw 1 other one at a few meets.

I'd b contacting GM directly, letting them know that the dealer recognized a problem but no incentive to fix it. What is warranty good for if they won't fix their product. I'm guessing the dealer is looking at how much time he will spend diagnosing that he likely will only get a flat warranty rate from GM for actually fixing the problem. This sounds like a "wait until it totally faile and then bring it back".... At the very least, get it on the record and get written confirmation from the dealer that they recognize a problem while it's still under warranty. JMO

Wow that sure sounds very familiar to the "song" of a few of the GM Dealer Service Desk people of my past ...
This is when I politely ask for the Service Manager's time to help explain it to me.
Normally the Manager is good to help as long as I keep myself with a calm presence (that's always the customer's most difficult part).
Yes, on an occasion or two, I have had a Manager that appears to only have "just managing to keep his job" on his mind ...

That's when it's time to get a referral to another dealer ...
Best referral is from someone who knows a Dealership and who is also known by them.
This is how I work and realize it's a bit more time for the customer.
Only mentioning this as I've done it often and I also know that others on this Forum to do it.

Best of Fortune on your remedy and hoping to hear of a successful update from you here. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
Can you take a picture of your intercooler tank? It's visible from the top when looking at the passenger side right in the space between the hood and the air filter looking straight down. If it has a lot of air in it, possible a lot of air is trapped in the sc as well. Data logging with hp tuners would show if a sensor is reading way off causing power to be dialed back.

When there is this much air in the reservoir, there's a good chance there is air trapped in the top of the supercharger as on the 17+ cars the bricks are tilted up at the back.
seems like it does, where can I share the pic?

seems like a problem in the app as it won't let me attach
Shouldn't be a problem to attach a picture. I assume it's a jpg, bmp, or the like... Click the "attach files" bottom left of the window, that will take you to your picture files.select the file, click "open" and it should attach. If you have problems still, private message me and I will give you my email and you can send the picture tome and I will try it for you.

Shouldn't be a problem to attach a picture. I assume it's a jpg, bmp, or the like... Click the "attach files" bottom left of the window, that will take you to your picture files.select the file, click "open" and it should attach. If you have problems still, private message me and I will give you my email and you can send the picture tome and I will try it for you.

pic is posted :)

It looks like a bleed was attempted. Is this a 17+ car? When GM does the purging at the dealership, without tilting the car, the 17+ SC bricks keep air trapped and you can cycle air all day with a vacuum pump and not pull it out of the bricks due to the tilted bricks at the back. This leads to the rear cylinders running lean due to insufficient cooling and can have misfires, but that would only show up in extreme heat conditions.

This is what GM recommends for the air bubble size for a Z06: 2 quarter sized air bubbles.

Attachments

• 20200905_134854[1].jpg
    20200905_134854[1].jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 22
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.